The TV Series discussion thread

I'm impressed how you ended up at 7.8/10. Wondering what complex formula is behind it.

Last year was 9.8/10 for me as no show is a 10. So it lose 2 full points for the cast this year. 1.5 of this is for Vince Vaughn alone.

Last year was 9.8/10 for me as no show is a 10. So it lose 2 full points for the cast this year. 1.5 of this is for Vince Vaughn alone.

My opinion of Season 2 of True Detective has steadily risen since the first episode. While I still think Season 1 was better, I no longer think the difference is that great.

I'd say S1 was a 9/10, while S2 is hovering around 8/10 right now.

Watched Wayward Pines. Some good actors hold it together, but it doesn't make a scrap of sense.

It commits the fairly serious sin of having characters whose personalties mutate as required.

EDIT: Unusually, I think it also tells too much story too quickly. It would have sustained more mysterious and sinister goings on, giving us a chance to get to know the characters better, before plunging on with the main plotline.

Last edited:
EDIT: Unusually, I think it also tells too much story too quickly.
Sorry but I can't agree on this.
Although, as I noted in my previous post about the show, the inconsistence between the first episode and the rest of the show can lead to this conclusion. IMO they should have reshoot/reedit the pilot.

Wife and I have been on a summer 'new show' run of rather light fare:
- Rookie Blue - another Canadian show, we've actually watched it since the start, and it is enjoyable enough, but not so great. Especially this season - there hasn't been a really solid episode yet. The show isn't procedural, nor a 'night soap', but somewhere in the middle.
- Mistresses and Devious Maids ... very similar show types in the 'evening drama' genre, very much guilty pleasure fare that we wouldn't seek out on Hulu if we miss ... Devious Maids is 'better' for us, not sure we'll keep up with them ...

Sorry but I can't agree on this.
Although, as I noted in my previous post about the show, the inconsistence between the first episode and the rest of the show can lead to this conclusion. IMO they should have reshoot/reedit the pilot.

Well, it does seem that they've crammed all three books into ten episodes, and, for me, it certainly showed.

I largely agree with your points in your previous post, particularly this:

You've read how the story evolves, but when you have a story in a closed "playground", what do you do? You do a bloody character study on as much different people you can. I can't believe this show almost totally escaped from it. There are very rare short scenes with character behavior revelas but it's more like prejudical stuff or stuff from "voodoo cookbooks on how to be likeable to others" than actual psychological analysis worth a discussion.

That's exactly what I wanted to see, and I think if they'd perhaps slowed it down to one book per season, there would have been time to do that character development. As it was, characters were introduced and forgotten as quickly, and people evolved their roles so quickly as to be absurd.

Almost the day after our hero has witnessed ceremonial executions for attempting to leave, he's cheerfully packing his son off to the local high school, and the day after he's considering performing the executions himself!

Mellisa Leo goes from mad-eyed psycho nurse threatening to perform unnecessary surgery without anaesthesia, and baying for public executions, to the saviour of the town in the space of a few episodes. It didn't work for me.

The Wayward Pines books were vastly superior to the tv version, by far. They made some really bad choices on rushing the plot along (why they did so I have no idea), and things were revealed way too early. For me, it never got any better, the only part more messy than the beginning episodes were the closing ones. Frankly, I really expected the tv version to at least hold its' own, which it did not.

Just finished watching Wayward Pines as well. It was decent show and I like how the current story has actually ended. They have let a way open for another season but it will be a different story. I actually liked that fact that the mystery was revealed at an earlier stage than normal for these kind shows since too much build up can lead to anti climax. Acting was pretty good but there were some plot holes and unrealistic character transformations which I didn't like. However its still pretty good mini shows which is definitely worth watching.

True Detective continues to surprise me. After last night's episode, I think this season might actually be on the same level as the first one after all.

While the first season peaked at around the midway point (Imo), this season continues to grow stronger with every episode.

True Detective continues to surprise me. After last night's episode, I think this season might actually be on the same level as the first one after all.

While the first season peaked at around the midway point (Imo), this season continues to grow stronger with every episode.

Though I am enjoying this season, I do disagree that it is on the same level as the first. The first was very character driving with an interesting story around it. This season is more story driving with less character development and a weaker cast.

Haven't watched True Detective from last night yet, but we did watch Fargo season one over the past week. What an awesome show this was, I only saw the pilot last year (because for some damn strange reason FXX doesn't exist in western Canada), so getting the entire first season for under 20 bucks was a total win. I highly recommend it, and if the hints dropped during season one are going to be the basis for the next season….well, it should also rock. Perhaps it will even surpass season one.

Though I am enjoying this season, I do disagree that it is on the same level as the first. The first was very character driving with an interesting story around it. This season is more story driving with less character development and a weaker cast.

I no longer think the cast of Season 2 is as weak as I originally believed. While no one is putting on the type of performance that Mathew McConaughey did, the cast as a whole is pretty strong. I also like the greater diversity and the fact that they've focused on four different primary characters compared to only two in the first season.

I no longer think the cast of Season 2 is as weak as I originally believed. While no one is putting on the type of performance that Mathew McConaughey did, the cast as a whole is pretty strong. I also like the greater diversity and the fact that they've focused on four different primary characters compared to only two in the first season.

I will agree the cast has grown on me considering I have never been a fan of Colin Farrell. Vince still seems very out of place and really takes away from scenes that might have more impact with someone different playing his part.

As for having four main characters instead of two, for me is the biggest problem in the character development.

I am still very surprised with this being a site that hmmmmmm, one we all play PC video games. That I am the only one that seems to be watching Halt and Catch Fire.

Well into season two now and two of main characters are just starting of the first anti-virus software company. The other two main characters are on the move to CA from TX to build on their online gaming and chat company.

I love the way they have progressed with season one all about building PC for the home market to all the other great things that have happened through the 80's with computers.

The show really makes you feel like you have stepped back into the 80's.

Last edited:
I am still very surprised with this being a site that hmmmmmm, one we all play PC video games. That I am the only one that seems to be watching Halt and Catch Fire.
Genre? Drama.
A genre gamers don't get excited about.

Finished True Detective S2 - and I'm left disappointed.

Didn't turn around and never came into its own. It had moments of brilliance - but they were few in number. If only they matched the moments of cringe-worthy writer-trying-too-hard dialogue.

I predicted the two twists from the moment go:

The son really being his and the wrong man being killed for raping the wife - though I suspected it was Frank who deliberately gave him the wrong information.

So, they didn't do anything for me.

Vince Vaughn started and stayed mediocre at best - and his character should have been one of the strengths of the show.

Acting was great from the other three primary actors, though, but their parts were all soaked in cliché material.

Ending didn't work for me, but it wasn't terrible either.

That said, It looked great and it had a fantastic soundtrack - and the plot was a decent Noir tale.

Overall, I'd probably rate it 6.5/10.

I'd watch a third season - but I can't see myself being hyped about it.

Finished True Detective S2 - and I'm left disappointed.

Didn't turn around and never came into its own. It had moments of brilliance - but they were few in number. If only they matched the moments of cringe-worthy writer-trying-too-hard dialogue.

I predicted the two twists from the moment go:

The son really being his and the wrong man being killed for raping the wife - though I suspected it was Frank who deliberately gave him the wrong information.

So, they didn't do anything for me.

Vince Vaughn started and stayed mediocre at best - and his character should have been one of the strengths of the show.

Acting was great from the other three primary actors, though, but their parts were all soaked in cliché material.

Ending didn't work for me, but it wasn't terrible either.

That said, It looked great and it had a fantastic soundtrack - and the plot was a decent Noir tale.

Overall, I'd probably rate it 6.5/10.

I'd watch a third season - but I can't see myself being hyped about it.

Couldn't have said it better, the ending really did nothing for me and left me very disappointed.

Back
Top Bottom