The TV Series discussion thread

Hey, some of my friends suggested watching Full Metal Alchemist -Brotherhood.

It's an anime about two brothers who try to resurrect their mother.

Any one here saw it and have some impressions ?

Watch the original series first.
Then Brotherhood.

Or you can do it vice versa - the story starts the same way but goes into totally different direction in each.

I'd suggest watching Brotherhood first and skipping the other one. Yes the stories are different but Brotherhood is so much better then original series imo. If you enjoy Brotherhood enough you can watch the original series and see how they diverge.

That depends on one's taste - I love the original series more. ;)
Both are awsome and mustwatch before you die IMO.

Do not watch the Netflix documentary Making a Murderer unless you want to be pissed off and angry. This is coming from someone who worked in a Sheriff's Dept. for 20 years. The poor get so screwed in the justice system. These small town departments think they are the most important people in their county and the power corrupts them.

I am four episodes in and the last episode angered me so much I had a hard time sleeping that night. The public defender is a buffoon and the judges are not much better.

You saying it's a classic story where a system grinds to oblivion someone who's broke?

I saw plenty good shows last year

Kingdom
true detective
mr robot
narcos
Vikings
man in the high castle

friend said daredevil , fargo and wayward pines were good too

oh and lets not forget the pink elephant in the room, 5 days from now.... the x files

To be frank, I think the movies are what's most shit today... overal we have more good series nowadays.... and the RPG incline is also on track.

Fargo is one of the best series ever.
I still didn't (have a chance to) watch it's season 2, but I just can't understand Fargo not picking #1 spot on top show in 2014. everywhere.
Absolutely amazing material, stuff you just can't see anywhere else. Original, unique and superb. It's not let's rip off Memories of Murder masterpiece and turn it into series then let it be praised by those who didn't watch the MoM (probably because subtitles): http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0353969

Its supposed to be based off real events, no wonder its good. I still didn't watch it myself though. Many good shows last year, I cant pick one … I pick each I listed

Last edited:
It surprises me that in a forum about RPG games, this thread is mostly about generic dramas. I for one couldn't care less about any show that doesn't have something out of the ordinary (aliens, magic, mysterious forces, etc), and thought people who liked RPG in general would also be like that, but guess I'm wrong. To me a normal drama, detective, crime or police show feels as lame as eating food without salt.

So as for me, I'm currently watching Agents of Shield (loving it), Shannara (liking it so far), Doctor Who ('nuff said), The Expanse (awesome show), Supergirl (guilty pleasure), started watching Wayward Pines (liked first episode so far), rewatching Star Trek TNG and Deep Space 9, waiting for the next season of Game of Thrones, Sense8, Humans, Killjoys, Daredevil and Jessica Jones and waiting for tomorrow's premiere of Legends of Tomorrow.

It surprises me that in a forum about RPG games, this thread is mostly about generic dramas. .

The show that I am surprised that no one here talks about besides myself is Halt and Catch Fire..

Though it is a drama it is loosely based on the personal computers in the 80's.

So as for me, I'm currently watching Agents of Shield (loving it), Shannara (liking it so far), Doctor Who ('nuff said), The Expanse (awesome show), Supergirl (guilty pleasure), started watching Wayward Pines (liked first episode so far), rewatching Star Trek TNG and Deep Space 9, waiting for the next season of Game of Thrones, Sense8, Humans, Killjoys, Daredevil and Jessica Jones and waiting for tomorrow's premiere of Legends of Tomorrow.
So as for me, I'm currently watching Agents of Shield (loving it), Shannara (liking it so far)

Really?
They did it?
Wow. Maybe you mean a different Shannara

It surprises me that in a forum about RPG games, this thread is mostly about generic dramas.

We as RPgers should be the last people putting our fellow gamers in a box. Still, I too kinda felt the same way. What surprised me is the love for Fargo here, I did not like the movie and have no interest in the TV show.

As far as current viewing. Just finished Childhoods End. Very blah and syfy filled the mini series with previews of the very show you were watching. Currently watching the Expanse but will probably give it up after season one. Very nice eye candy but taking far too long to get to the point. Plus there's no characters I really care about. Giving the Magicians a try although I could not get past book one. And I'm waiting for a couple episodes of Colony to load up on the DVR before I try that out.

I recently read that Robert Wilson's Spin is in development as a series. That should be mind boggling, I hope they don't screw it up.

We as RPgers should be the last people putting our fellow gamers in a box. Still, I too kinda felt the same way. What surprised me is the love for Fargo here, I did not like the movie and have no interest in the TV show.
Well not putting fellow gamers in a box, it's just that by association I would think people who like RPGs also would like shows that are like the RPGs they play (which is majority sci-fi or fantasy), but like I said, looks like I'm wrong.

As far as current viewing. Just finished Childhoods End. Very blah and syfy filled the mini series with previews of the very show you were watching. Currently watching the Expanse but will probably give it up after season one. Very nice eye candy but taking far too long to get to the point. Plus there's no characters I really care about. Giving the Magicians a try although I could not get past book one. And I'm waiting for a couple episodes of Colony to load up on the DVR before I try that out.
I haven't watched Childhood's End, forgot about that one while I was out on vacations. As for the Expanse, I don't have a problem with characters, as I never care about characters (in fact, I prefer shows where characters don't have 'script armor' so anybody could die any moment).
I haven't checked the Magicians either, didn't know it's based on some books. I don't care if they are anyway, I always judge a series on its own. If the series is good (like Game of Thrones) then it's good, regardless if they follow the books religiously or not.

What surprised me is the love for Fargo here, I did not like the movie and have no interest in the TV show.
Fargo movie is one of those rare and unique Hollywood products:
- totally crazy story and substories
- one of the best camera use in history of making movies
- characters diversity
- no glorifications of whatever "values" nor any kind of political correctness
- unbelievable characters that are - actually believable (you ever been to smalltowns?)
- no hollywood plastics!

I'm aware that people who didn't like the movie exist and spinoff series is definetly not for you.

But the problem I have is that none of people who didn't like the movie ever said what exactly turned them off. Usually when I say I can't stand something, I do specify why. Games, movies and series too.
Which is a bad feedback. Because now I cannot tell you which titles to avoid as I bet some other titles I adore you might not like that containe something that exists in Fargo.

I'm aware that people who didn't like the movie exist and spinoff series is definetly not for you.

But the problem I have is that none of people who didn't like the movie ever said what exactly turned them off. Usually when I say I can't stand something, I do specify why. Games, movies and series too.
Which is a bad feedback. Because now I cannot tell you which titles to avoid as I bet some other titles I adore you might not like that containe something that exists in Fargo.

Craft wise the movie was fine. Good acting, fine characters, great camera work, interesting locale.

I simply did not care for the story. Crime dramas fall far down my movie interest list. Maybe if they are in a courtroom, or maybe if there is heavy martial arts, or heavy revenge action but watching reality based crime drama is usually not for me.

OTOH, The Rockford Files is one of my all time favorite TV shows, so there's that.

Back
Top Bottom