The TV Series discussion thread

It's like I've thought for 3-4 seasons now, I bet Bran has done/caused a lot of issues in the past by going back and messing with things. Who's to say he didn't yell at the Mad King while he was burning Starks and perhaps actually MADE him crazy?? After what we now know he did with Willis, almost anything is possible, assuming he survives what is currently pursuing him.

Another good episode. Although how the Iron Island's kingsmoot happened is definitely different from the books.

Sad Hodor story there really made it though. The Arya, Danaerys, and Tyrion parts not so much.

@Ripper

The child of the forest said they created the WWs to protect them from men. Classic Frankenstein story, where the creations get out of control, is how I see it.

Last edited:
Cheers. You've read the books, haven't you? I was just wondering if there was more details in the books that I didn't know about. Do you know anything about the grenadier wood sprites? They turned up at the end of last season, and hang around the mystic tree cave, but I'm not really clear on who they are, and their significance.

Do you know anything about the grenadier wood sprites? They turned up at the end of last season, and hang around the mystic tree cave, but I'm not really clear on who they are, and their significance.

Iirc, those are the "Children of the Forest", and they're the original inhabitants of Westeros. Humans originated from Essos, and migrated West back in the day.

Like humans tend to do, they eventually started gobbling up all the land which lead to war with the forest people. Then the White Walkers appeared, and the CotF and humans joined forces to drive them North and build the wall. Over time, the CotF were mostly forgotten by humans.

[Edit: in case the other three posts saying this were not enough, here's mine!]

The grenade-launching wood sprites are the Children of the Forest, a demihuman race who inhabited Westeros prior to the coming of humans. They're not much for fighting on the whole, so the introduction of larger, more aggressive colonists to their territory went about how you would expect.

Until last night they've seemed entirely the injured party in this process, but it's now been revealed that they made the first white walkers (out of fallen humans!) to defend their lands against the newcomers. No surprise that, in time, a horde of bloodthirsty ice zombies turned out to be a problem for their creators as well as for their intended targets.

Last edited:
I'll also bet money that the human nailed to the tree ages ago is a long-past relation of the Starks. It would totally explain their affinity for magic and such, imo. They've also kept the faith in the manner they worship the old trees and ways.

Thanks guys. That makes sense. Without reading the books, I don't know if certain things are supposed to be unknown, or if I've just missed out on background information.

The stuff from last night's episode is almost all new material not in the books, including the origin of the WWs and the Hodor story. Makes it more exciting for me with all the new reveals. :)

However, the Children of The Forest are explained in more detail in the books. They are kind of glossed over in the shows.

Yup, lots of changes from the books. Theon and Yara are fugitives, and that was played out very differently in the novels. Although their uncle seems bent on chasing them down, I do believe you need seasoned wood to craft boats, and that will slow him down somewhat.

I also expect to see Coldhands pop up soon, that girl is only going to be able to mush Bran along by herself for so long. The tv show has ignored him so far, but I expect that to change soon.

I too watch the Game of Thrones. If someone read the books, can you tell me if this season is completely self-written? I mean, by people other than scenario writers adapting the original novels. I heard that Martin hadn't finished writing them, and it makes me curious if this season would end up entirely different from his books.

On another note, I recently finished watching a law show titled misleadingly The Good Wife. It's an ironic title, the female lawyer who stars in the series somewhat repeats Hillary Clinton, as in staying by her husband after he slept with prostitutes, although for very rational reason. And oh my, how disappointed I was with the ending of the last season! I didn't even realize I was watching the finale. The story just got torn off, like a piece of paper, in the middle. Those scenario writers had no idea where all of that was going, I see that now, but at least they could attempt to conclude the story. This will go down in my personal history as the worst ending ever a.k.a no ending at all.

The stuff from last night's episode is almost all new material not in the books, including the origin of the WWs and the Hodor story. Makes it more exciting for me with all the new reveals. :)

However, the Children of The Forest are explained in more detail in the books. They are kind of glossed over in the shows.

The origin of the WW are heavily hinted I the books. Most people have guessed it long time ago and lot of fans theories around it for some time. One of the famous lines from the book which was dead give away was that some people in the know refers to the WW as "Snow knights made by the children".

I too watch the Game of Thrones. If someone read the books, can you tell me if this season is completely self-written? I mean, by people other than scenario writers adapting the original novels. I heard that Martin hadn't finished writing them, and it makes me curious if this season would end up entirely different from his books.

For all intent and purposes the show has now over taken the books and in some cases diverging from the books as well. They have merged lots of characters into one or even removed some characters entirely etc. However Martin has told the show runners the main plots of the books so last night revels about the WW and Hodor wasn't really made up by the show but its rather from Martin. I think going forward the major plot points will still match the books that are yet to come but the show and the book may arrive at them differently.

What happened in the last episode? I'm confused for the first time.

SPOILERS in case someone didn't watch:

If I got it right, those forest nymphs (who live in arctic tundra for some reason, not in a forest) created the blue-eyed zombies? Why?

And how come there are "kings" of the blue-eyed zombies and lots of low-level mobs, did the forest nymphs create rulers, as well? Why do they rebel?

What happened in the last episode? I'm confused for the first time.

SPOILERS in case someone didn't watch:

If I got it right, those forest nymphs (who live in arctic tundra for some reason, not in a forest) created the blue-eyed zombies? Why?

And how come there are "kings" of the blue-eyed zombies and lots of low-level mobs, did they create rulers, as well?

SPOILERS - DO NOT READ!

The children of the forest (forest nymph) were the original inhabitants of Westeros. Men then came/invaded Westeros and children of the forest were loosing the fight. Men has superior tech compared to the children. So in order to fight these Men, the children captured some men and turned them into While Walkers (blue-eyed zombies). You saw the first WW being created in last night show and he is the Night King. The WW in turn created Wights (low-level mobs) and we can see this in last season episodes.

We don't know exactly why the WW turned on the children yet but I guess we will find out.

The theory is that the Night King is a Stark and like other Starks he has the power to warg. This is why he can see Bran in a warging vision and touch him. He apparently creates the Wights using his warging powers and the children didn't foresee this hence why they lost control over them.

If you want to have your head explode read this!
https://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/4ko2ob/spoilers_everything_on_white_walkers_and_the/

PS: forest nymphs and the arctic tundra nymphs are the same people. In fact the the person who created the Night King is the same one we see now in the show. She is about 8000+ years old.

Thanks, that's more than enough food for thought for now. I won't be reading your link, it's helpful, but I don't really want to know everything beforehand, too much knowledge it spoils the experience.

What do you mean by "warg", though? Turn into a dog? I don't even know why the word reminds me of dogs, I think in some game a dog-looking creature was called a warg. Gothic, perhaps. So chances are I'm dead wrong about the word's meaning. :)

Btw, don't get me wrong, but the whole winter theme and those "kings" on horses remind me strongly of the Wild Hunt. When during the previous season Jon Snow spotted them overlooking the attack of their trashmobs from the heigh of the cliff I thought: and the Wild Hunt came for you guys! ;)

Thanks, that's more than enough food for thought for now. I won't be reading your link, it's helpful, but I don't really want to know everything beforehand, too much knowledge it spoils the experience.

Right now its all theories. Its place for speculation and don't necessary ruin things.

What do you mean by "warg", though? Turn into a dog? I don't even know why the word reminds me of dogs, I think in some game a dog-looking creature was called a warg. Gothic, perhaps. So chances are I'm dead wrong about the word's meaning. :)

A warg is someone who can take control of other creatures. Basically what Bran does. He can take control of his wolf, Hodor etc. Jon Snow is also a warg, he can take control of his wolf too. However you need to be very powerful warg to take control of humans etc and Bran is the uber warg now :)

Btw, don't get me wrong, but the whole winter theme and those "kings" on horses remind me strongly of the Wild Hunt. When during the previous season Jon Snow spotted them overlooking the attack of their trashmobs from the heigh of the cliff I thought: and the Wild Hunt came for you guys! ;)

Well you might be on to something here :) GRRM uses lots of European legends and myths in the books and the Wild Hunt is an European legend, mostly Easter European.

Warg is a type of wolf that orcs use in Lord of the Rings. They are also in many other books and D&D. Their bite is poisonous in many of the myths.

HODOR :bigcry: That was so sad and had me tearing up.

What happened to and with Hodor is the definition of tragic. I am impressed though with Bran's resolve to get stuff done, I think that will serve him and others well in many upcoming events. You cannot sweat the small things when the stakes are so very high.

The origin of the WW are heavily hinted I the books. Most people have guessed it long time ago and lot of fans theories around it for some time. One of the famous lines from the book which was dead give away was that some people in the know refers to the WW as "Snow knights made by the children".

Not really obvious. That line was from a taunt to Sam saying he believed in children's fairy tales containing snow knights. Elliptical at best, not a direct statement that the children of the forest made the others. But yeah, lots of obscure hints have been given, but nothing even close to definitive until this week's episode. It's easy to find the hints after the reveal of course. And if you throw out enough theories it's likely that one of them is bound to be correct. :)
However you need to be very powerful warg to take control of humans etc and Bran is the uber warg now :)

Especially uber since he can warg people seen in visions in the past, to control them in the present, with side effects that reach into the past. This power to change the past is going to be central at some point, methinks.

Last edited:
I watched the final series of Peep Show, about two dreadful human beings sharing a flat and ruining each other's lives. Very funny, if you like dark, leftfield British comedy.

Back
Top Bottom