Witcher 2 The Witcher 2 first impressions

The Witcher 2
Can you guys tell me if you're also getting this pixelation during cutscenes? (look at Geralt's face)
http://img585.imageshack.us/img585/9820/witcher2201105181911285.jpg

OMG I'm blind, that's terrible but I can't see the pixelisation. Let see the face border, to right, there's a clear line, mmm I don't see any square effect/pixelisation.

Perhaps you don't like the face texture? Ha yeah not a clean polished young skin, perhaps you aren't used of this?

The only clear default I can see is the arm of the other guy is blurry.

I also have a hard time seeing any problem in the screenshot - maybe the effect is only visible in motion?

If you're talking about the "cloth-pattern" like effect in his face - then that's how it's supposed to be. I expect it has to do with how their shadow technology works - and I think it looks fine.

If you look at how shadows interact with ground textures - you can see a similar effect. I think it's some kind of resource-efficient way of shading - or maybe it's the SSAO tech?

Did you guys enlarge the photo to full size? By default the browser reduces it, thus providing a sort of antialiasing-like effect, but enlarged to full size I can definitely see it. I can't say that I noticed that in my game though I am not running at the highest settings until I can build an upgrade.

Did you guys enlarge the photo to full size? By default the browser reduces it, thus providing a sort of antialiasing-like effect, but enlarged to full size I can definitely see it. I can't say that I noticed that in my game though I am not running at the highest settings until I can build an upgrade.

Ah, you are right, now I see it, above the eybrows. No, never noticed that in my game (ATI 4800). I'm running low specs though, so maybe I don't even have this shader active, or my Resolution is too low.

Last edited:
While I'm still having fun with the game, last night got completely ruined by a massive bug. Possibly the most annoying bug I've experienced in a while.

Basically, I was unable to:
- Save the game
- Draw my weapon
- Use spells

Everything else worked. By the time I finally died (did a lot of talking around town at the time), I realized even autosaves had stopped working, so I lost a good 30 min of gaming.

Very frustrating. I suspect it is related to
visiting the house of the commander, Ludacris or something. Either that or the following quest with Triss.

Yeah, the game is really weird with how it locks out the save-game option - related to where you are, and what's happening.

I think it's somehow related to the efficiency of the engine - and how fast everything loads/saves with minimal data - but I'm not sure it's a good compromise.

I also got the draw weapon/spell bug quite a few times early on. It seemed to be related to pressing the number-keys too much. I had trouble figuring out what keys did what in relation to pocket-items, so I tried numerous combinations. It bugged out a couple of times with it.

I sort of came across this as well. I think if you press the number key, you take the sword out. If you press it again you put it back. So I am thinking you press it too quickly you are taking it out and then putting it back again etc.

I didn't press anything too quickly though: I used ctrl -> select weapon to do it. Still didn't work. Also, even spells (shooting by pressing Q) had no effect. I simply could not engage in combat in any way.

No mouseovers for items or equipped comparisons.
Click on them - inside inventory you can compare equipped item with the one you clicked. True, it doesn't work on the loot nor you can compare equipped items with ones offered in stores (not to mention with ones you can get from recipes available in the store), but I don't think that it's a major flaw. But definetly a material to add in some patch or in TW3.

Very limited keyboard remapping, I'm not sure the devs tried to play the game with mouse & keyboard...
This is the major flaw I agree. A suggestion, use some 3rd party key mapper software.

If you played TW1 with the zoomed out overhead camera, be prepared to be disappointed... Finishing moves feel really disjointed because it shifts the camera angle to show you how awesome you killed that guy, feels like having your camera cut when you're driving to show someone else crash in Burnout Paradise, yeah, everyone hated that too. By the time you've regained camera control, you're being stabbed in the back by the other 4 bad guys.
Actually I love this design. You think Geralt should have another pair of eyes on the other side of his head to spot those 4 backstabbers?

Combat is very hard even on normal. Prohibitively hard in my opinion...
I love that too. Normal should be - challenging. At least a bit. And it is. If you want easy, play on easy.

Every knight you fight in the prologue is like trying to take out the orc scout before ever going into town in Gothic 2.
Nah, you can get Orc Scout chasing you and run to guards. If you manage to sneak past the shadowbeast. The same goes for the second one in the cave near the opposite town entrance.
Also you're probably forgetting to use rightclick on armored/shielded knights, and remember that yrden sign is your best friend!

The QTEs are horrible, ... Who thinks any QTE is a good gameplay mechanic?
Noone likes QTE, but horrible in this game... No... Just somewhat annoying if you ask me. Let's hope there will be a patch to have a choice of turning QTE's off and show those as cutscenes as if you solved 'em.

Lots and lots of cutscenes, in the prologue at least, I'm starting to feel like I'm playing FF7 here.
Never played any FF game. Can't wait someone sees this comment of yours. It's blasphemic in a few directions. ;)

Hard to loot items dropped by enemies... Would also be nice if there was a "loot near me" key instead of having it being bound to the quick attack key, that's already happened a lot to me accidently in combat.
Absolutely agree with you. While Z can highlight lootable objects which is a nice touch while in "peaceful" mode, in combat you'll get frustrated when you click on the chest, a bag or something instead of hitting mobs.

other than the not limited graphics, it feels very much like a console port in the UI, click spam combat and controls.
Sorry I don't have a console so I can't comment on this.

The more I play, the more I like it.

Combat balance is just about perfect so far - and I've gotten quite comfortable with most group encounters now.

Combat definitely get easier as you level up and put points in skills. I did start the game at normal then went to easy but i am back to normal again and I can handle group mobs. I think the parry talent is helping with group mobs if they get behind me.

Actually I love this design. You think Geralt should have another pair of eyes on the other side of his head to spot those 4 backstabbers?

I've always disliked this sort of argument. The whole "realism" approach to first person POV or a zoomed in camera. The thing is: In real life, we have significantly stronger/more senses available to us than in a game. We are a very long way from being able to simulate proper feeling/smelling/hearing/etc in a game.

For someone like Geralt to sense enemies behind him is not far fetched at all, especially when they're not even trying to be stealthy. His senses will be heightened pretty much at all times, and he'd most likely pick up enemies approaching from quite a distance, regardless of angle.

Just a heads-up. Apparently the medallion quest (called "Melitele's Heart", IIRC) is bugged. This happened to me and I've read similar stories on GoG's forum.
After breaking out of the dungeons (in the Prologue) I met Newboy who thanked me of saving his life by convincing him to wear armor in the battle (and not relying on the medallion/amulet for protection). After thanking, he says he'll give the medallion to me, but that's bugged as it never happens (you do get the book he gives, but not the medallion). The quest updates after this, but without the medallion there's nothing you can do. Bummer.
Then there's another quest in Flotsam that seems a bit "strange". I'd like to hear from others who've gotten the "French monk" quest.
In the cellar of the inn in Flotsam, in the near-by corner of the fist-fighting contests, stands a monk (AKA "French monk") who challenges you to a game of dice. If you win him (I guess with a certain special dice result), he'll give you a quest/item. There's a tutorial pop-up congratulating you of finding this "hidden quest", but it went away so quick, I never managed to read it fully (the tiny font size didn't help any). There's nothing about it in my journal or inventory, nor is there anything in the DLC list (I got the impression it would have been a mini-DLC, could be very wrong about this). Have any of you received this and found out what's it about.

Last edited:
Yep, I got the same result too, Grue. Since we wear a magic medallion already, I guess there wasn't room :)

I'd like to hear from others who've gotten the "French monk" quest.
In the cellar of the inn in Flotsam, in the near-by corner of the fist-fighting contests, stands a monk (AKA "French monk") who challenges you to a game of dice. If you win him (I guess with a certain special dice result), he'll give you a quest/item. There's a tutorial pop-up congratulating you of finding this "hidden quest", but it went away so quick, I never managed to read it fully (the tiny font size didn't help any). There's nothing about it in my journal or inventory, nor is there anything in the DLC list (I got the impression it would have been a mini-DLC, could be very wrong about this). Have any of you received this and found out what's it about.

Yes I solved it and found out what is it about.
To get the solution you must win the monk with two pairs. :)
After that the game was supposed to give you a link to a special GOG offer with discounts. There is no DLC, just GOG's special offer to buy some games if you want to at cheap prices. For the link please check GOG's the witcher forum as it's designed exclusively for GOG game version.

The medallion that you say is bugged… You sure about that?
Did the player who said that really finished the whole game?
Also there is another question - what happens if you kill Newboy (and you can actually kill him after you escape the prison)? Do you get that medallion from him then?

Yes I solved it and found out what is it about.
To get the solution you must win the monk with two pairs.
Oh, I won him with two pairs too, but I never got any links. All I got was the congatulations in the pop-up and that's it (and I have the GoG version of the game, btw). Oh well, gotta check the GoG forums. Thanks for the info!

The medallion that you say is bugged… You sure about that? Did the player who said that really finished the whole game?
Also there is another question - what happens if you kill Newboy (and you can actually kill him after you escape the prison)? Do you get that medallion from him then?
That player is me, it happened to me. I haven't finished the game, but Newboy said something like, "here, have the medallion, I don't want it," but then there is no medallion in my inventory. He clearly should given me the medallion, but nothing happens. Ergo, there's a bug there. I didn't want to kill Newboy as he helped me to escape by distracting the guards.

Back
Top Bottom