Things you don't need to know...

Some really good news, which actually is nice to know:

Last year only 118 people were killed in traffic accidents in Norway. We have to go 60 years back in time to see a lower number. I remember back in the 60's more than 500 people were killed each year. Taking into account that the number of cars on the road today is much, much, MUCH higher, this is really an improvement.

I suppose we see smilar numbers in other countries.

There are of course many factors contributing to this, better, more safe cars, better roads, speed limits, airbags. But I think the most important factor is probably seat belts.

BTW: 118 in total means that 2,4 pr 100.000 were killed.

pibbur who also would like to mention that "Airbag" is the name of a Norwegian prog rock band.

Last edited:
Some really good news, which actually is nice to know:

Last year 118 people were killed in traffic accidents in Norway. We have to go 60 years back in time to see a lower number. I remember back in the 60's more than 500 people were killed each year. Taking into account that the number of cars on the road today is much, much, MUCH higher, this is really an improvement.

I suppose we see smilar numbers in other countries.

There are of course many factors contributing to this, better, more safe cars, better roads, speed limits, airbags. But I think the most important factor is probably seat belts.

BTW: 118 in total means that 2,4 pr 100.000 were killed.

pibbur who also would like to mention that "Airbag" is the name of a Norwegian prog rock band.

You really choose a bad way to report those "good news" Pibbur.

Good news: 115 people killed...... I think you should add a Only.. before that.

I think it is safe to say that it is not safe to go to this dentist. Ouch. The horror!!!

pibbur who, despite having met a lot of dentist-wannabes during his first years at med school, thinks dentists are generally safe.

I once had a dentist that failed to anaesthetise correctly, and drilled into a raw tooth. I reflexively bit his thumb quite hard, like Fenris, so hopefully he learned his lesson. I don't think he was a properly evil dentist, though.

Back in the eighties, when I for a while actually worked as a physician, we had a dentist in our community (far to the north). He couldn't stand people suffering, so he usually almost saturated the jaws with anesthetics.

We could always see if someone had been to the dentist.

pibbur who wants the watch to know that 1) it's more than 30 years ago, so memory may be a bit shaky. And 2) he's probably exaggerating anyway.

When I was a child, back in the prehistoric era, they had to fill a cavity in a baby tooth. They did so WITHOUT anesthetic. They thought children didn't need it. Do you believe it?

Last edited:
Great, a topic about dentistry!

What happened to you, Thrasher, it must have been another dark dentist, and I can not 'top' that experience, but here's my contribution:

Me, I think dental surgeons are worse than the average dentist. They're butchers. Several years ago one removed my 4 wisdom teeth at the same time, After he had finished I left shaking all over, could not stop. Yesterday, when I saw my dentist, who changed an old filling that was put there after the butcher's evil work (his devilish instrument darted out*) my dentist told me it is forbidden to change all four at the same time, risk of suffocating or something.

* have to trust the dictionary on this one

Usually I don't mind dentists, except when I get a anaesthetic. Sure, in my case that means the treatment will be unbearable, so my dentist does not give me the choice then, but my, how I hate dental anaesthetics.

O, and I hate the person that is removing the plaque, more than the dentist (dental hygienist).

Please, don't get me wrong, I am not a hateful person. :)

Anybody an idea why these four back teeth are called wisdom teeth? Are you supposed to make sense by the time you get them? I got mine real late. :)

Anyone ever have their dentist jam the novacaine needle right into the nerve? I swear I jumped a couple feet off the chair in pain/shock.

When I was a child, back in the prehistoric era, they had to fill a cavity in a baby tooth. They did so WITHOUT anesthetic. They thought children didn't need it. Do you believe it?

Yes.

pibbur who as a child spent quite some time at the chair of the torturer (we called the dentist that) filling holes, before high-speed drills, and before use of fluoride became common. So he had numerous cavities.

Great, a topic about dentistry!

What happened to you, Thrasher, it must have been another dark dentist, and I can not 'top' that experience, but here's my contribution:

Me, I think dental surgeons are worse than the average dentist. They're butchers. Several years ago one removed my 4 wisdom teeth at the same time, After he had finished I left shaking all over, could not stop. Yesterday, when I saw my dentist, who changed an old filling that was put there after the butcher's evil work (his devilish instrument darted out*) my dentist told me it is forbidden to change all four at the same time, risk of suffocating or something.

Ouch!!!

* have to trust the dictionary on this one

Usually I don't mind dentists, except when I get a anaesthetic. Sure, in my case that means the treatment will be unbearable, so my dentist does not give me the choice then, but my, how I hate dental anaesthetics.

O, and I hate the person that is removing the plaque, more than the dentist (dental hygienist).
Yes.
Please, don't get me wrong, I am not a hateful person. :)
You are forgiven. We are talking about dentists here.
Anybody an idea why these four back teeth are called wisdom teeth? Are you supposed to make sense by the time you get them? I got mine real late. :)
Normally they come between lvl 18 and 24, when you're grown up and presumably. wise.

These days, they tend to cause a lot of trouble. AFAIK this has to do with evolution of the human species, our jaws are getting smaller.

pibbur who is grateful that his dentist is very good at injecting anestethics.

I'm convinced that all dentists are sadists (whether they know it or not). ;)
Of course. There is a reason for seeking that particiular education. There's also an element of revenge. After all they are the ones that with a small margin were just not good enough for med school.

Pibbur who is not revengeful.

Of course. There is a reason for seeking that particiular education. There's also an element of revenge. After all they are the ones that with a small margin were just not good enough for med school.

Pibbur who is not revengeful.
Ever seen the series My Family? It is a British comedy, the father of the family is a grumpy dentist who feels dentists are failures when compared to doctors.

Leaving dentists for something completely different: Driving.

Read in the newspaper about a young man who was caught speeding. 84 kmph (52 mph) in a 50 kmph (30 mph) zone. In Norway you lose your driving license when driving 50% above the speed limit, usually around a year. So now he has to resort to other means of transportation. And he has to take the test again before getting the license back. Maybe even spend a couple of days in jail.

Now, why do I write about one person caught speeding? Because he'd had his driving license for 1 - one - hour!!! A strong application for not driving.

Which reminds med of another young man, sitting in the seat behind me on my bus, and telling his comrade about his numerous attempts at getting the license. It's not polite to listen to other people's conversation, but in this case it was really hard to resist.

His first attempt didn't go too well, since he had a hangover from yesterday's celebration of something. Not wise.

Next attempt: In addition to a driving test, there's also a theory test, asking questions about traffic rules. Didn't go too well, as he hadn't opened the book. Not wise.

Next attempt: He had spent a month on a fishing boat. "I didn't bring the book with me of course". Not wise.

I don't remember the rest of the conversation, maybe I had reached my stop and was leaving the bus. But I have one question: Why did he show up for the tests at all? Believing in miracles?

pibbur who got his license on his first attempt, which possibly seemed like a miracle to his teacher.

Back
Top Bottom