Things you might like to know.

Experimental, dream-like, beautifually confusing...

I agree that there's nothing more boring than "the formula" to make a blockbuster movie. You won't catch me watching cape-shit. If there's a unique, art-house movie coming out you can bet I'll be watching it. For example, the USA remake of that brutal Danish movie "Speak No Evil" I feel like I won't be able to resist, even though the original absolutely nailed it and was one of those movies that was amazing that I never want to see again. I mean, I've been watching horror films since I was 11 but that movie was just brutal.

Anyway, you say...

"You don't need to consciously come away with anything. Every exposure to different experiences will affect you even if you cannot concretely point to it.
Not everything needs to be analytically marked and examined, and then explained with this limited human form of expression called written/spoken language."

But couldn't a totally random movie of flashing sounds and images also make you come away with something? Just a trippy music video of psychodelic images? No point to be made, no hidden messages, no interpretations...

Again, I'm not saying his films aren't enjoyable.... But there is no vision. You can't be bothered explaining to me how there is a vision because you can't explain it, anyway.

It doesn't matter. I don't think you're stupid or weak willed or something because you can't tell me the vision behind a Lynch film LOL. Of course you can't! It's just random shit. :)

Having vision doesn't mean you know everything or even all the broad strokes of where you're going.
It means you maybe know the starting point, or you know the ending, or maybe both and just need to build the in-between. Or any variation of.
It means you have a mood that you want to portray, or a feeling that you want to make manifest into viewers who watch your film.
That's what vision means to me. You have strong knowledge of what you want to portray or evoke, even if you're not sure how it's gonna pan out.

Honestly it sounds very interesting how he works. But I can also imagine it must be hard to work with him, as I can imagine him changing things on a whim, just to try different things, to better achieve what he set out to do.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cogph0r__aQ

Random he is definitely not. Maybe you could make that point of the very first thoughts he has, on what to create. But can't you make that argument for anything and anyone, before it comes into focus what they want to create?
In terms of him being either an architect, planning everything, or a gardener, where he just lays a few seeds and then sees what grows, he's definitely a gardener. But he chooses what the initial seeds are.

Maybe saying that is just as confusing as a Lynch film?

Is that even more evidence that I'M a visionary?!

I mean, what is a start. What CAN be a start. Litterally anything. A man walks into a shop, A woman gets out of a car, a car driving along a road, a horse farts on a tree and kicks a dog.

What's an end? Any of the above and anything else.

If you have no vision of the journey then you have no vision?

EDIT: Also, happy 3000 posts for me! It came and went and we didn't notice. I'll still have a party if anyone RSVPs. :p

Back
Top Bottom