Torchlight?

For the boxed copy, not sure, it was from the FAQ on developers site still mentioned as a "hope". Perhaps they forget update the FAQ.

Thanks for your help proposal but it would be tricky to help me as my keyboard is special, an Apple keyboard and some keys can be different. I used the little application I linked above to customize the setup and it worked fine.

Like you I'm using mainly the mouse but for an action game some keys can help sometimes. I switched keys for pause and "close all" to make pause the more easy to get, that can save my character in case of a panic mode. I also defined zoom up/down to page up/down this will avoid me use the mouse wheel I dislike a lot on my current mouse. And I defined keys for cycle in skills at a better position for me.

I paused my current Vanquisher character in normal difficulty and hardcore more to try a Destroyer in Hard difficulty and standard mode.

First steps was a little awful making me felt the game had been designed for Vanquisher. But after some levels I felt the fun of the Destroyer power, but controls seems a little complicate. I wonder if anyone played a Destroyer and had few tips to share. For controls, managing trapped and tnt barrels, item pickup.

Here few troubles I got and not yet fully solved:
  • Only use RMB and tab for two talents isn't enough and not enough natural in hot action. I quoted shortcuts can be linked to any special attack and don't require a click, perhaps that's the key.
  • Barrels can be trapped and TNT barrel always hit, that's a problem with the Destroyer when it was just a funny detail with a Vanquisher. Solutions I tried was long range weapon set, fireball, healing spell.
  • Picking items is the huge problem I got. I was used to play the Vanquisher with items name always shown. With Destroyer I felt it too much a nuisance and toggle it off but then the alt key system is a little tedious for me as I dislike a lot keep press a key.

Started playing this yesterday and it pretty much ate up my entire afternoon and evening. I'd pretty much written it off because I'm not very fond of cartoony looking avatars, but Steam seduced me with a $5 pricetag and now I appear to be hooked.

I have a question or two—is there anyone who has played the female character and made her magic focused? Is the Arbiter the only way to go with that? And in general, is it better to invest heavily in a few critical skills as in Diablo, or can you be more eclectic and still make progress?

Also, for the more DL savvy, what the heck are these "Steam achievements" I keep unlocking? Can I use them ingame or what?

I don't generally buy games from Steam, but for $5 I couldn't resist. I just finished DA:O and started a new character when I realized a break from that game was needed. For $5 you can't go wrong. Legend: Hand of God & Two Worlds are both ARPGs and more expensive, so Torchlight won out. I only wish it had multiplayer.

Started playing this yesterday and it pretty much ate up my entire afternoon and evening. I'd pretty much written it off because I'm not very fond of cartoony looking avatars, but Steam seduced me with a $5 pricetag and now I appear to be hooked.

I have a question or two—is there anyone who has played the female character and made her magic focused? Is the Arbiter the only way to go with that? And in general, is it better to invest heavily in a few critical skills as in Diablo, or can you be more eclectic and still make progress?
The game should be easy at normal mode and ok at hard mode, so you don't need optimize your character to finish the game even at hard mode. Also you could change the difficulty later.

I also played a Vanquisher with my first character, but used mainly the Marksman path, so I cannot answer you about a magic path. Take care that those trees are false trees and you can pick a skill without to take previous skills.

So Advanced Spell casting and pets skills that are all in Arbiter tree could be taken without to take any other Arbiter skill.

There's at least one skill you should play with a little, it's Ricochet, it is fun and very powerful. If you want to play a close combat class, I would suggest you try more the Destroyer or the Alchemist.

Also, for the more DL savvy, what the heck are these "Steam achievements" I keep unlocking? Can I use them ingame or what?
Well they are… Steam achievements! Ie Torchlight achievements made only for the Steam version. They are very useful because you can show your long list of achievement to your friends at school, or even to your mother, she will certainly be very impress. Apart that I doubt they are more than useless. :biggrin:

Thanks, Dasale. I noticed there are no skill prerequisites for anything. I went ahead and just started a mage, since why not? And I upped it to hard difficulty, which is making it a bit more interesting. I may go back to my original girl and experiment, then start a serious ranged character and when I do I'll pay more attention to Ricochet. Fun little game.

And I'm thrilled to know I can impress everyone with my "achievements," which seem to occur completely randomly for just playing the game, like when you feed your pet a fish. Kind of takes the meaning out of the term. ;) Here I was hoping to get an easter egg out of them or something.

Me and Tigress having an unexpectedly great time w/ this one, what a blast!

I'm of course all about the Vanquisher ("Barbarella"), I made an alchemist at first but lasted about 4 levels before I went n made one. She's awesome. Going all guns right now, have this cool skull shotgun (has an actual skull on the end of the barrel!), alternate between that and dual +electric average speed pistols.

I know it's prolly noob loot compared to the stuff you guys are running with, but it's working great for me!

Attachments

• skull_shotgun.jpg
    skull_shotgun.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 52
  • barbarella01.jpg
    barbarella01.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 52
  • skull_shotgun01.jpg
    skull_shotgun01.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
There's two point of view to look at the Vanquisher, the first you don't care much use many skills and focus on passive, summons, and only one or two special attack on Right Mouse Button, and don't forget have close the shortcut for healing potions even if rare it can help. Then the Vanquisher is a blast and very easy to play. Try the multiple sort of weapons and experiment with the two different ranges, the various speed vs single shot damage value, double pistol or pistol and shield, try also the special effects, for example using a weapon with knock back change a lot the play. That's how I played the Vanquisher before playing any other class and that's been very fun.

If you try have a deeper use of skills then the Vanquisher is probably the more difficult class to play and you'll most probably need customize the shortcuts to use more easily the shortcuts for skills and the key for shot without moving (default is shift).

The close range fit better that sort of gameplay, if you could have done a standard shot with a key like any other attack skill, that could have been different.

The skills design and monsters design for making shine the fight design is amazingly well done with one exception the items dropped and their labels. But the dungeon low random, the simplified quests and many details not that well done from pet to gems system, all of that deserve a little the game. Well a great one anyway and enough for me to have enjoy it for a bit more than 2 plays, but not much more for me. A mix of Torchlight and Din's Curse plus some polishing would have been an amazing game.

Having fun w/ it, lots of loot. Have done a total overhaul like twice. Got a cool gunslinger duster!

Attachments

• barbarella_duster.jpg
    barbarella_duster.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 48
So then Sammy, ummm, Electric Barbarella, eh?

You bunch of fruits. Take the big gorilla, give him a big f-in' axe and a shield, and have at it. Mano-e-ma...errr...crittero. None of this "hocus-pocus" or "plink-plink" hooey. :p

Actually, I've made the switch from electric to cold. I just ended up tripping over so much +cold stuff that I ended up just decking her out in cold gear.

Cant play the manly hack n slash brute in action-rpgs tho, the snore-meter goes thru the roof if I'm smashing w/ one hand and guzzling potions w/ the other for days on end. A skilled warrior seldom gets hit, and ends up cashing in all their potions!

Nice duster, Sammy. I've got the hat to go with it(Gunslinger's Brim) Also some kickass(literally I guess) boots. I had a skull shotgun earlier, but made the mistake of going to the enchanter one time too many and losing all the enchantments I'd paid megabucks for. :C

My mage is working out pretty well so far, but lots of hotkeying and stuff.

@dte: The bikini babe gunslinger is par for the course, and I can reconcile myself to the goofy alchemist avatar, but that split-chinned wonder they've got for the fighter is just a bridge too far. Uggh.

Attachments

• TL_gunslinger.JPG
    TL_gunslinger.JPG
    142.8 KB · Views: 38
Cant play the manly hack n slash brute in action-rpgs tho, the snore-meter goes thru the roof if I'm smashing w/ one hand and guzzling potions w/ the other for days on end. A skilled warrior seldom gets hit, and ends up cashing in all their potions!
The Destroyer class is certainly not that despite the look of the Destroyer. The art of the Destroyer is to not be hit despite to be in core of the fight.

It's the class for which you use the most the special attacks and use the less the standard attack at least the class for which it is easier to do it.

I played the three classes but not all possibilities of each class, and it's with the destroyer that I got the most subtle play. It's also the class with the most impressive series of original skills.

Meet doom. No hocus-pocus will ye find here. ;)

Attachments

• Torchlight 2010-03-29 18-17-04-18.jpg
    Torchlight 2010-03-29 18-17-04-18.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 20
  • Torchlight 2010-03-29 18-17-17-31.jpg
    Torchlight 2010-03-29 18-17-17-31.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 17
  • Torchlight 2010-03-29 18-17-52-85.jpg
    Torchlight 2010-03-29 18-17-52-85.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 15
he cant hurt me if he cant catch me!

but I doubt he can outrun a bullet..... then again it would probably be like hitting an aircraft carrier w/ a pellet gun ='.'=

Mine mine, at quite lower level, ie after to have finish the game plus few levels in infinite dungeon.

Destroyer.jpg

His Two Handed weapon, but for such big badass it looks like a one hand weapon:

TwoHanded.jpg

Back
Top Bottom