Two Worlds II - Thoughts / First Impressions

Thanks for the lead in this forum!!

I spent ab hour researching the console options and stole a bunch of good ideas from various places in the TW2 forums. The result is a huge improvement in graphics.

Do the following if you would like to try it:

in your TW2 folder create a new folder called Parameters

use notepad to create a new file called autoexecgame2.con — this will go into the parameters folder

type otr paste the following into autoexecgame2.con:

Engine.MBlurIntensity 0
Engine.ParalaxOnTerrain 0
Engine.FOV 70
Engine.BloomMultiplier 0
Engine.EdgeAABlend 0
Engine.Farplane 1500

Save it and run TW2 — you should see a large improvement.

I also went to my NVidia control panel and overrided game AA options. 8x worked fine, 16x blacked out everything.

Hope this helps, and thanks RPGwatch for the leads!

If I try this out and don't like it, will I be able to go to previous settings easily (say, by deleting the autoexec file)?

Yes. You can also individually try these out at the console in-game.

Just finished the game.

A very mixed bag it is.
Note: for some reason I got a bit carried away with boring, badly sorted and probably typo-infested list here, better jump to the concluding paragraph at the end :).

PROS:

The engine.
On a medium rig, settings on max, I had zero crashes, no slowdowns, loading times 1-2s long. Physics stuff worked unusually well. Really, this one´s a keeper.

Diverse character development.
There´s just a lot to play with when it comes to utilizing player´s character.
Skills are varied and mostly useful and there isn´t too many of skill points available, thus player is forced to specialize to some extent.
Crafting and alchemy have enough depth to make utilizing collected loot interesting, spellmaking is a category on its own, rewarding experimentation and offering a good variety of spells. I´d prefer not to be able to perform alchemy and crafting everywhere, but given how these systems work, it´s probably better the way it is. Also, unless I´m mistaken, alchemy lacks possibility to make permanent stat boost potions from some rarer ingredients which is a pity as it would make exploration/looting more rewarding.

Ambient life.
For once, cities are actually full of people (sometimes maybe even too full, though), wilderness has good amount of non-hostile animals like birds, rats, fireflies, fish and I like that grass reacts to player running through it. Also, some enemies like groms and varns have their routines like sitting at the fireplace, patrolling or even fishing. People sleep during nightime, as do some hostiles.

Player´s movement.
Not too slow, ability to sprint, speed dependent on whether going uphill or downhill.

Music.
Nothing truly memorable, but well serving as an atmosphere enhancement, and nothing embarrassingly epic/heroic.

GUI.
The main GUI showing minimap, health, enemy health etc. is non-intrusive and well-arranged.

Bugs.
There were not many in my game. Besides enemies being sometimes largely unresponsive (rhinos especially) and one bugged out side quest, it´s been a smooth ride.

SOMEWHERE BETWEENS:

Sound effects.
I´d prefer a few more of the ambient ones to be in, combat sounds lack a bit of punch as do monster ones, some interface sounds are quite intrusive.

Minigame-y stuff.
There´s quite a variety of it and variety is, eh, good.
I think horse riding works well for races, but for exploration it´s kinda hassle-y.
On its own, sailing is a well implemented nifty and rather atmospheric addition.
Lockpicking is engaging enough, but due to leveled locks and the amount of them, it gets old after a while, max lockpicking skill isn´t necessary at all, bashing works well, but it seems unlocking by a spell can destroy chest´s content too and that isn´t cool.
Dice are boring and serve no purpose other than allowing save/reload exploits.
Playing instrument á la guitar hero … well, why not I guess, playing the drum was quite a fun way to earn a shitload of cash.

Responsiveness of townsfolk.
Guards react to unsheathed weapon, people notice trying to break-in house or loot their chest. I kinda like that people react when player trips over them, but the fact it can make guards go hostile is quite silly and it almost makes running through towns a minigame. People don´t react to taking items which are not in chests.

Stealth.
It´s good it´s there and there are few places where it comes in handy, but overall its usability is rather limited. Interior design doesn´t support sneaking much, it´s almost always easier to just run, pick pocketing and sneak kills don´t work if characters perform some animation and points in sneaking didn´t seem to make a difference when trying to loot chests unnoticed. Though I haven´t used them much, traps and oculi seemed like nice additions. Variety is there, that´s for sure.

Visuals.
This would easily belong to pros as the game looks mostly really great, at least in exteriors, but the terrible implementation of barely customizable screen
effects brings it down. With HDR on, the blur is excessive, with HDR off the game is too bright, lack of AA makes grass headache inducing etc. I was able tweak it via console to a bearable state, but still had to tweak brightness quite often.
Definitely needs to be patched.
Animations are quite sloppy, but not too distracting.

Voice acting.
Mostly very mediocre, but as with the animations, nothing too distracting.
Main hero is a second grade crossover between JC Denton and Geralt probably supposed to sound cool, but to me he sounds just unremarkable.

AI and enemy variety.
Well, it´s an hack´n´slash-y action game, so nothing fancy here, but at least enemy behavior generally isn´t completely stupid, some enemies have distinct combat patterns and defense stances and pulling tactic mostly doesn´t work on packs.
The amount of enemy types is good, but the game is somewhat lacking in variety of attacks they can perform. I´d prefer more status inducing effects and more importantly, there are no enemies who utilize game´s spellcasting system properly.
Variety of enemy resistances is a plus.

Challenge.
I´ve played on hard and though not steadily, it was maintained till the end, but not without verisimilitude issues. At the first main island I could easily stumble upon an enemy which would kick my ass in one hit, which was great. Later, I was able to one hit kill almost everything there which made me worried about next chapters, but for the second chapter the game upped enemy strength significantly enough so that my ass could still be kicked from time to time.
That was the case for last two chapters as well. In a lot of cases it didn´t make much sense, but gameplay-wise this plateau system worked quite well and forced me to pay a bit more attention to resources.

ALMOST CONS:

UI.
Inventory icons are too big, items quite illogically organized, choosing upgrade stones in crafting menu can take ages if player has a lot of them, there seem to be no way to stack items in shopping screen and unless I´ve missed something, looting enemies is always automatic, unless player is about to cross the carry limit. For such a complex system, I think spellmaking interface was handled well.

Main quest.
It´s serviceable, there are some interesting moments, but overall it feels disjointed, writing is mediocre at best and there´s very little in terms of player´s choices.

Side quests.
Well, there´s quite a lot of them and some have rather interesting or funny stories attached to them. However, most of them boil down to the mundane fed/ex/eliminate process, rarely offer any kind of choice other than refusing and what´s worse, (and this ties to exploration I´ll mention later) a lot of them are utilized in a very non open ended manner, aka areas tied to them are closed/empty till player accepts the quest.

Loot.
Unless it´s quest related, loot is always non-unique and leveled and while it may not seem so at first, there isn´t much variety of it either. It´s still useful for crafting and supports ranger/warrior/spellslinger stereotypes quite well, but I didn´t find this aspect much exciting after some time.
The fact that usage is level restricted doesn´t help here either.

Humor.
Various (pop) culture references fell largely flat on me and most felt like a trying-too-hard stuff.

World design.
Ok, those screen effect aside, the game looks great. What I think is quite close to suckage is the world´s topology. Tutorial island is great in this aspect, designed in a fine Gothic tradition. Then it goes quite a downhill however.
A lot of wilderness is very corridorized by unclimbable mountains, which makes it feel artificially constructed and non open ended, the only really open ended area is eastern side of savannah island, but while it fares good on realism front, it´s mostly flat with only few landmarks of interest.
Towns are lively and visually well conceived, but very unmemorable design-wise, though one town offers some roof action.

Weather.
After the beginning in the tutorial, the game seemed promising in this regard, but unfortunately there are no weather changes in rest of the game, besides some areas being darker, which rids the game of some atmosphere points.

Background lore.
There are some solid in-game writings, but still not enough and there´s very little additional information to be gained from npcs, making the world feel shallow.

Lack of direct control over pc in dialogue/quests.
Main hero mostly speaks autonomously, choices are mostly truncated to accept/decline quest, there´s very little of non-quest related dialogue and quest themselves are rarely solvable in more than one way. Not all quests are choice free, but there´s nothing intricate, maybe besides quests surrounding getting a pass in the first non-tutorial area, and there´s very little of branching and mutually exclusive content.

Instant potion effects.
Takes a bit of excitement out of combat.

No ability to sleep.
No diving.

CONS:

Dungeon design.
Mostly linear corridors, almost zero puzzles, just enemies and few chests, rarely any backstory. Dungeon spellunking simply wasn´t fun for me in this game.

Game length.
Ok, now for a more controversial stuff.
I´ve explored pretty much everything there is and finished almost all of available quests (count was 180, including the tedious 10 labyrinths) and clocked at 40 hours. Since game doesn´t count time in inventory and maybe in minigames too, my conclusion is, it takes 50 hours max to suck exploration/quests dry. Not bad for a game with tighter structure and more elaborate content á la Gothic, but very poor for a kind of game I was expecting Two Worlds 2 to be.
This wouldn´t be bad per se, but given what I´ve read in previews/interviews I feel quite justified in expecting the game to be somewhat close to Oblivion in the amount of content and explorable landmass, just with better game mechanics and less filler dungeons.
For example, I remember a dev claiming their tester being 112 hours in and having only 70% explored, that player can explore all of the landmass freely, etc.
This ties to the other aspect I perceive as a con, which is

Exploration.
Though my expectations based on pre-release info make this probably stronger con than it is on its own, I still think the game fails here nevertheless.
First, player can explore the gameworld only in chunks as the rest is closed till one progresses through the main story. Well, I can live with this.
Second, there´s the corridorization I´ve mentioned earlier, but, well, still not too bad per se.
Third, the game strongly relies on quest markers without offering any additional directions. In a game like New Vegas, where multiple quest solutions are available and there´s a good amount of interesting stuff to be discovered, it´s not as worrisome, in Two Worlds 2 however, it just hampers exploration even further.
Fourth, and that´s where we´re getting to the bad stuff, as I´ve mentioned earlier already, the game locks almost all of areas tied to side quests. Meaning, if player explores on his own, he constantly hits locked dungeons/houses/chests and areas yet to be filled with something. This way the game pretty much discourages the exploration.
Fifth, from the non quest-tied not-locked content which is there to be found, a veeery little of it is interesting. Just few linear dungeons filled with generic mobs and if you´re lucky with few chests containing leveled non-unique loot. Plus few hostile camps. And there´s literally nothing to be discovered via sailing.
For a supposedly free roaming game, this was a major disappointment.

All in all, the game sports great engine, engaging gameplay mechanics, solid visuals and atmosphere, but is mediocre story-wise, repetitive quest-wise and for a supposedly freeroamy adventure, it´s actually very non open ended and exploration isn´t rewarding.
Thanks to its good points I had quite a bit of fun playing through it and don´t regret buying it, but all these mostly very solid mechanics simply deserved to be accompanied with better content and that´s where the devs really need to up their game if I´m to be interested in the franchise further.

Last edited:
...and I want to do a complete playthrough of the first Two Worlds

I'm trying to wipe the coffee off my screen here... You are planning to play ALL the way through TW1? What's the over/under on him getting out of the grasslands? I got 20 bucks he wanders up the snowy slopes and lies down and dies in sheer pointlessness.

I´ve explored pretty much everything there is and finished almost all of available quests (count was 180, including the tedious 10 labyrinths) and clocked at 40 hours.

Eh? So you're telling us that most of the quests take less than 15 minutes to complete?

@ToddMcF2002- Depends… some people claim to have really enjoyed TW1 for the exploration. If it sucks that bad then I'll just concentrate on the main quest, and ignore everything else. I just don't like the thought of continuing a storyline that I know nothing about.

Eh? So you're telling us that most of the quests take less than 15 minutes to complete?
Yes!

The count is somewhat misleading though, the game makes separate entries for a lot of stuff which should really belong under multiple stages of one quest. Most obvious example being fighting in the arena where each of the ten fights is marked as a separate quest.
Or you´re doing some leg work for a dude, he sends you here and there, but instead of it being all under "some leg work for a dude" it´s under "here" and "there", etc.
In one of the chapters they´ve also inflated entries for the main quest quite a lot - I´ve got 18 finished main "quests" (+5 side quests) for 2 hour playtime there :).
Most of the board quests take 15 minutes max, alright.

But yeah, if they say there are 180 quests in our game!, I say, that´s pretty cool guys, though it took me 40 hours to play through all of them and most of them sucked.
The quest count is quite meaningless, really.

Well, 40 hours would be plenty for me personally, especially since you think the game systems are actually pretty OK. Although I agree it's on the low side for a freeroamer. Other seemed to have different mileage though?

Although I agree it's on the low side for a freeroamer.
Yeah, it´s not really a freeroamer though :).

Other seemed to have different mileage though?

Undoubtedly.
I´m generally quite a slow player, rarely click through dialogues, etc.
I´ve also spent quite a bit of time on the above mentioned pointless exploring, hitting locked areas, delving into dull dungeons and sailing the Seven Seas in hope there´s something interesting out there. Well, there isn´t. Sailing was fun though - I´ve listened to an awesome collection of Mississippi John Hurt meanwhile :).

Playing with the game systems, admiring its great looks (after tweakage) and questing is all there is to the game.
This would be enough to make it a great, even though not freeroam-y, game.
But the overwhelming majority of the quests simply isn´t very good.
They´re linear, repetitive and require zero thought/skill on player´s side.

In this light, 40 hours is actually more than enough, I was seriously pushing it in the last 1/3 or so.
Base for a great game is definitely there, but there just isn´t enough of good content built upon it.

Last edited:
I completed it as well. I mostly agree with DeepO, though I'd bump up main quest, main character and humor. I actually really liked the main character and his sarcastic approach. As I've pointed out before - I actually feel that it works out well; he's sarcastic, (somewhat) funny and tough, without sounding like an idiot.

I also want to point out that an add-on similar to NotR could do wonders for TW2 by taking advantage of the world in a better way.

There are a few things that annoyed me that DeepO did not mention:
- Overall I found the writing and voices pretty good, but in the case of the Prophet, the dialogue/text was not coordinated. At all. Most of her dialogues make no sense whatsoever.
- I like the five orcs of the first island a lot. I feel it's a shame they weren't more involved than they were. They could have had the impact of Milten/Gorn/Lester/Diego if they had been more active.

Also, I noticed something that made me think of Gothic:
Camp in the swamp. Barrier. The legendary swamp witch.. ?

I feel they are decent to be honest. Quite varied. More varied than in most games. Not as good as Gothic 2, but what is?

Sure, they all consist of getting this or killing that, but you feel like you're doing it for a reason instead of simply getting more xp.

I feel they are decent to be honest. Quite varied. More varied than in most games. Not as good as Gothic 2, but what is?

Sure, they all consist of getting this or killing that, but you feel like you're doing it for a reason instead of simply getting more xp.

Thanks, May ;)

That was comforting to hear...

Thanks for the insights, DeepO.
Looks like I'm going to pass this one up then, unless an expansion comes along that improves the content.

Same here. I've been trying to think of a game where most quests aren't fedex/kill things etc.. This game does a good job of using the side quests to tell a story. I'm not sure what more you can expect. Quite honestly I think that most people are mad because it doesn't have the huge landmass found in TW1 but this is a much better game on about every level.

I've been trying to think of a game where most quests aren't fedex/kill things etc..

Think harder please ;). Or, rather, think a bit differently.
Maybe it´s possible to boil down most of quests in cRPGs to FedEx/kill, but that doesn´t mean they´re always so painfully primitive and can be completed in 10 minutes as majority of those found in 2W2. There was a reason why I included "mundane" before FedEx/eliminate when characterizing game´s side quests.
You´ll find similarly simple filler quests in most cRPGs, but in the good ones they do not constitute the overwhelming majority of playtime.

Size of landmass isn´t 2W2´s problem, content is.
Even Oblivion has better and more varied quests than this.

I haven't really looked into it yet but I found the graphics settings within the game was very limited. Can't remember the exact wording but beside resolution I think there was two AA related settings. I could change one of them to a maximum of x1 and the other one I couldn't do anything with. I have a 580GTX and using the 262.99 drivers (only for 500 series so far).

I'd say that Two Worlds II has zero chance of selling well in the States. It looks like the American publisher made a huge mistake because the negative word of mouth is killing interest in the game. As it stands now, I might pay 29.99 for the game if I have nothing else to play. Too bad, as I was looking forward to TW2 before reading several player reviews. The aggregate score seems to be 50-60%. They basically need to do a Witcher/Ego Draconis and have a free enhanced edition and they need to do it quickly.

Where are you getting an average score of 50-60% from? All I've seen are a handful of 9/10's. I'm not saying I didn't miss something, or that these 9/10's are reliable, but I'm just curious what the basis for that statement is. Are you talking about gamer impressions?

Back
Top Bottom