Ultima Underworld won't load

Konjad

Keeper of the Watch
I'm trying to run it, but when I start it I just get a message "EMS allocated" and nothing happens. Windows XP SP3. I cannot use dosbox (although it would probably give me the same results). Wasteland runs flawlessly without fixing anything.

Last edited:
I'm trying to run it, but when I start it I just get a message "EMS allocated" and nothing happens. Windows XP SP3. I cannot use dosbox (although it would probably give me the same results). Wasteland runs flawlessly without fixing anything.

I had it running on XP a while ago, but I don't remember wether it was through dosbox or not. I will check at home if I still have it installed.

Edit: Here is a guide on installing it without dosbox: http://bootstrike.com/Ultima/Online/uwwinxp.php
But you are probably better of with dosbox - why can't you use it?

Last edited:
DosBox is free and makes everything incredibly easy - especially with a decent frontend like D-Fend.

I had it running on XP a while ago, but I don't remember wether it was through dosbox or not. I will check at home if I still have it installed.

Edit: Here is a guide on installing it without dosbox: http://bootstrike.com/Ultima/Online/uwwinxp.php
But you are probably better of with dosbox - why can't you use it?

Thanks. I'll try what you've posted, Ghan. I can't use DOSBox, because I'm trying to run it on an old computer with Pentium II.

Just put in the time and figure out how to use DOSbox, or build a dedicated DOS computer is my best advice. My memory is fuzzy, but I'm pretty sure those games were made to run with 486 DX computers MAYBE running windows 95.

I don't believe "modern" systems support EMS anymore.

And I would very much advice *against* an 486DX40 WITH Win95.

I had once installed Win95 on such aystem for my mother - it behaved increadibly slow.

Don't do that, except if you like slide-shows.

My recollection is that a 486 DX with Windows 95 could boot to DOS as well as Windows, and run both just fine if you know what you're doing.

XP is a shitty system. Not compatible backward and not compatible forward. Nevermind, I'll just use DOSBox on my new laptop or something.

Back
Top Bottom