Underrail, formerly known as Timelapse Vertigo

I'm very impressed by Underrail considering the size of the team.

Unfortunately, I've found it quite lacking when it comes to story and motivation to progress.

That's a very common issue of mine with small-team games. I guess I've been spoiled by the bigger games where they have the budget and manpower to develop the content necessary to keep me glued to the screen. Strong mechanics and killing things just isn't enough for me anymore.

I was in the same boat about saves and the deep caverns. Such an amazing game up until that point. I also did not have the will power to finish the game. The first 70 or 80 hours are amazing and then it just seems like a chore to finish. I still highly recommend the game and the combat system is great. I do not need a great story if exploring and character development are top notch. I liked the story in Underrail and it seemed very realistic.

I played Underrail farther then Witcher 3. Witcher just seemed like I was watching a movie.

I was in the same boat about saves and the deep caverns. Such an amazing game up until that point. I also did not have the will power to finish the game. The first 70 or 80 hours are amazing and then it just seems like a chore to finish. I still highly recommend the game and the combat system is great. I do not need a great story if exploring and character development are top notch. I liked the story in Underrail and it seemed very realistic.

I played Underrail farther then Witcher 3. Witcher just seemed like I was watching a movie.

I'm curious about exploration.

What was great about it?

I've been trying to find an excuse to play this more - but I just never found much that was particularly interesting beyond loot.

What are some of the great things you find when exploring?

I'm curious about exploration.

What was great about it?

I've been trying to find an excuse to play this more - but I just never found much that was particularly interesting beyond loot.

What are some of the great things you find when exploring?

To me, the oddity system made exploration itself worthwhile, you never knew where you'd find more XP.

As a crafter, and I really mean it (I had all crafting branches developed), I was always looking for new parts to use in my recipes. That instigated me to leave no stone unturned and no corner unexplored.

The world is extraordinarily built IMO and just so realistic. Everything is interconnected and I kept looking for new passages and ways to traverse the world by foot. Just for the sake of it, finding new ways was a joy to me.

You never know when you'll stumble upon a new cool NPC or a secret base, a lab, a cave etc and oftentimes these contained cool loot. Because many loot items are placed by hand and not procedurally generated, there was always the feeling I was going to get that new cool pistol or shield.

Also, the different landmarks (very spread out, by the way) have their own little story and because I was so invested and immersed in that world, I wanted to scrape the map for all the secrets, logs, computers, warehouses etc. I found it exciting and interesting when I found something.

If I could summarize how I felt when exploring Underrail's map I'd say this: It feels like Metroid with a touch of SNES' Shadowrun. And that's a huge compliment from me. Metroid is one of my favorite games of all time and this is the first game that was able to emulate the sense of dread, creepiness, mistery and wonderment I felt when exploring an alien, unknown planet.

Plus, I just couldn't resist looking for more money everywhere to upgrade my core city house ;)

Unfortunately, the Deep Caverns turned the experience sour, but I digress.

To me, the oddity system made exploration itself worthwhile, you never knew where you'd find more XP.

As a crafter, and I really mean it (I had all crafting branches developed), I was always looking for new parts to use in my recipes. That instigated me to leave no stone unturned and no corner unexplored.

The world is extraordinarily built IMO and just so realistic. Everything is interconnected and I kept looking for new passages and ways to traverse the world by foot. Just for the sake of it, finding new ways was a joy to me.

You never know when you'll stumble upon a new cool NPC or a secret base, a lab, a cave etc and oftentimes these contained cool loot. Because many loot items are placed by hand and not procedurally generated, there was always the feeling I was going to get that new cool pistol or shield.

Also, the different landmarks (very spread out, by the way) have their own little story and because I was so invested and immersed in that world, I wanted to scrape the map for all the secrets, logs, computers, warehouses etc. I found it exciting and interesting when I found something.

If I could summarize how I felt when exploring Underrail's map I'd say this: It feels like Metroid with a touch of SNES' Shadowrun. And that's a huge compliment from me. Metroid is one of my favorite games of all time and this is the first game that was able to emulate the sense of dread, creepiness, mistery and wonderment I felt when exploring an alien, unknown planet.

Plus, I just couldn't resist looking for more money everywhere to upgrade my core city house ;)

Unfortunately, the Deep Caverns turned the experience sour, but I digress.

Hmm, you sure make it sound worthwhile.

I'll have to check it out again based on your warm praise.

I've always had a soft spot for this since the earliest versions - and I detect true greatness behind the design.

If only teams like this had the resources to go all the way :(

Hmm, you sure make it sound worthwhile.

I'll have to check it out again based on your warm praise.

I've always had a soft spot for this since the earliest versions - and I detect true greatness behind the design.

If only teams like this had the resources to go all the way :(

You should definitely try it.

Bear in mind, though, that the environments can get very bland and generic between landmarks if you don't like the setting. There's a lot of backtracking. Also, you'll be walking back and forth very much if you don't want to spend money on quick travel.

Combat is a crucial point in the enjoyment too. Since almost all areas will have something for you to fight with, if combat does not please you (I love it), exploration will get old very, very fast.

In a nutshell, I would say that if you like the combat, are ok with backtracking and a little bit of respawning and are invested in the setting, you'll probably like explorating the maps.

Most of these rules don't apply to the relatively large Deep Caverns though. There's such a huge change of pace and feeling that once you get there it feels like another game entirely. It suppresses the positive and maximizes the negative parts.

I like the mechanics of combat, but if there's too much of it, it'll probably tire me out.

But I'll give it a shot ;)

I'm stuck on the main quest at 50 hours, and am wondering if anyone else went with the Praetorians. I've finished the warehouse quest, defeated almost everyone in the Arena (I've defeated the surgeon), and got the find the acid hunter quest. The oligarch Archibold Knight promoted me, but didn't give me any quests. According to the wiki, I should get one. I'm not sure what I'm missing or supposed to do now.

I haven't played this. Question, are the Deep Caverns some sort of mega-dungeon? I love mega-dungeons in RPGs, and really wish they included one in a recent game I played and beat with my dad - Divinity: Original Sin.

I haven't played this. Question, are the Deep Caverns some sort of mega-dungeon? I love mega-dungeons in RPGs, and really wish they included one in a recent game I played and beat with my dad - Divinity: Original Sin.

The Deep Caverns are the end game. From the forums, I think most people think they're the poorest designed part of the game. That said, I've played 52 hours and haven't got there yet. If you like megadungeons, you'll like Underrail, once you get past a certain quest (I finished it at the 18 hour mark), all of the game world, except the said deep caverns are open to you. There are a few bastions of civilization where you can buy goods or get quests, but for the most part it is one huge dungeon to explore. If you liked either of the first two Fallouts, I'd definately recommend it.

The Deep Caverns are the end game. From the forums, I think most people think they're the poorest designed part of the game. That said, I've played 52 hours and haven't got there yet. If you like megadungeons, you'll like Underrail, once you get past a certain quest (I finished it at the 18 hour mark), all of the game world, except the said deep caverns are open to you. There are a few bastions of civilization where you can buy goods or get quests, but for the most part it is one huge dungeon to explore. If you liked either of the first two Fallouts, I'd definately recommend it.

Thanks for the impressions.

Believe it or not, I haven't even played either of the original Fallout games. Just haven't gotten around to them yet. If I do get in the mood for a game like this I will most likely play the first Fallout game first. :)

As mentioned above, the deep cavers are the endgame. It takes roughly 15 to 20 to finish this last part.

You get thrown, without previous notice, into this huge, no way back area, until you defeat the final boss.

To get to said boss, you'll have to go through the most obnoxious quest imaginable. You will have to fetch a lot of stuff (in the dark; there are no pointers as to what you should do or where you should go), face a global status effect that draws aggro from the local creeps - which won't stop spawning -, face impossibly hard, highly resistant mobs, scavenge for what few resources you can find.

Good luck if you rolled a less optimized class. Essentially, the game throws away everything that made it good and sends you to hell with no way back.

Is there any talk about the devs reworking the Deep Caverns, since they seem to be universally criticized? These indie games do seem to consider some radical changes after release, sometimes.

I have to wonder if the Deep Caverns are really that bad. I've only seen two posters complain about that area, and they're both in this thread. :)

I was curious enough to take a quick look at the Steam forum, and I didn't see anyone complaining there.

I have to wonder if the Deep Caverns are really that bad. I've only seen two posters complain about that area, and they're both in this thread. :)

I was curious enough to take a quick look at the Steam forum, and I didn't see anyone complaining there.

First off, since the rest of the game is pretty stellar and it can potentially take more than 90 hours before you get to the Deep Caverns, only a fraction of the players have faced it yet.

Nevertheless, between those who got there, pretty much 95% are bashing it. A quick google search will yield a plethora of discussions in which it's unanimous that the last part is a wreck. Unless those who like it are pretty silent now, the consensus is that the section is a huge let down.

As a side note, have you already been through it?

Ripper, there is no talk about changing it. After the flood of complaints, Styg publicly declared that it's his vision of how it should be and he's adamant to not change it.

Last edited:
I'm stuck on the main quest at 50 hours, and am wondering if anyone else went with the Praetorians. I've finished the warehouse quest, defeated almost everyone in the Arena (I've defeated the surgeon), and got the find the acid hunter quest. The oligarch Archibold Knight promoted me, but didn't give me any quests. According to the wiki, I should get one. I'm not sure what I'm missing or supposed to do now.

For anyone else having this problem, I found my answer here:

http://underrail.com/forums/index.php?topic=2031.0

The quest triggers in the log book, but not for the endgame. Go back to railcrossing and go through all dialogue options.

Nevertheless, between those who got there, pretty much 95% are bashing it. A quick google search will yield a plethora of discussions in which it's unanimous that the last part is a wreck. Unless those who like it are pretty silent now, the consensus is that the section is a huge let down..

You mean the consensus from the people who are actually writing about it on the internet. :)

You seem to be assuming that every person who's played through that area doesn't like it. Fact is, you're probably only seeing the opinion of a vocal minority.

That doesn't mean that area isn't a letdown compared to rest of the game (I wouldn't know yet), but you shouldn't assume that everyone feels the same way.

You mean the consensus from the people who are actually writing about it on the internet. :)

You seem to be assuming that every person who's played through that area doesn't like it. Fact is, you're probably only seeing the opinion of a vocal minority.

That doesn't mean that area isn't a letdown compared to rest of the game (I wouldn't know yet), but you shouldn't assume that everyone feels the same way.

I'm assuming what I've read on the boards is a good sample representation of people's opinion and I've read quite a bit. I don't think I've seen a positive view of it yet. But, as you said, it might be a vocal minority, as it's usually the case. Truthfully, it helped me solidify my already adamant position about it.

But, being through it myself, I would guess 9 out of 10 people would agree that it was indeed a letdown.

Now, nevertheless, if you're actually playing it, I'm genuinely interested in knowing what your take about is is after you finish it (or, like me, give up trying).

I'm assuming what I've read on the boards is a good sample representation of people's opinion and I've read quite a bit. I don't think I've seen a positive view of it yet. But, as you said, it might be a vocal minority, as it's usually the case. Truthfully, it helped me solidify my already adamant position about it.

But, being through it myself, I would guess 9 out of 10 people would agree that it was indeed a letdown.

Now, nevertheless, if you're actually playing it, I'm genuinely interested in knowing what your take about is is after you finish it (or, like me, give up trying).

I'm just curious, Arthurloi, if your character had a high stealth. I'm about to start the caverns soon, I think, and at this point, I'd say I'd never replay this game without stealth, it is by far the best skill in the game, as it lets you avoid a lot of difficult and tedious battles.

Back
Top Bottom