Underworld Ascendant - Update #13 & #14

Well, get ultima 7 and give it a whirl…geeze dude, it's like one of the best rpg's of all time.
Shouldn't you be recommending Ultima Underworld instead? :D

I just checked out a lets play of Ultima 7 and it does not look interesting. Barely usable UI, graphics below my threshold and real time combat.

It would need to be at least as awesome as KotC for me to play it and for that it would need to be turn based.

Shouldn't you be recommending Ultima Underworld instead? :D

I just checked out a lets play of Ultima 7 and it does not look interesting. Barely usable UI, graphics below my threshold and real time combat.

It would need to be at least as awesome as KotC for me to play it and for that it would need to be turn based.

Underworld is cool:) but it didn't age as well, like most 3d games from that era(was the first true 3d game to be honest).

UI is very useable, real time with pause combat(not the big drawing point weakest part of the game) and graphics are above what spiderweb are putting out as new. Use exult to up most of the things to make it very playable today. I haven't heard many people say ultima 7 was a disappointment. YMMV but it is a classic.

Honestly outside of the old graphics and limited view I played it for the first time last year and I was surprised of how well it worked and how good it still was.

UUW2 is still better than Legend of Grimrock 1-2.. It has quests, NPC's, no retarded grid based movement and unlike LoG the environments are very unique and varied. The downside is obviously the graphics, just like LoG it also contains a few puzzles (should be banned from RPG's, imo).

UUW2 is still better than Legend of Grimrock 1-2.. It has quests, NPC's, no retarded grid based movement and unlike LoG the environments are very unique and varied. The downside is obviously the graphics, just like LoG it also contains a few puzzles (should be banned from RPG's, imo).

I'm exclusively talking about graphics - and since UU is just about the first game to move into the "true" textured 3D realm (it wasn't quite true, but close), it's also the one to suffer most from looking quaint.

I agree about all the rest, except I think puzzles (and riddles) need to be expanded in RPGs - just keep the crappy LoG-style timed crap away from my RPG :)

Games like Eye of the Beholder and Black Crypt had excellent puzzles.

This, it's amazing how much people have lowered their standards nowadays.

I think a lot of people are assuming things too much. Like they couldnt possibly pull this off with such a budget. Most aaa games put the good programmers to put the most time into the graphics. If they focus on these aspects(the improvisation engine) i think they can pull it off.

Well, regardless of whether it's enough, they're only half way through so they're likely to get funded. Possibly they can attract more funding down the road.

BLAH BLAH BLAH.....

Enough is what I say about picking apart games that we haven't even played yet. Sure I didn't like seeing LORD BRITISH show up in their one kick starter video. That is only because I don't want to have to max out my Visa for the latest Cave in this game.

Just like Sword Coast, we have more and more RPG's coming out then ever before. Lets be thankful.

OT, I like what I see here enough to follow its progress. Seems too ambitious for the resources they appear to have

You should realize that this is the same crew that made the original Ultima Underworld games, as well as Thief and System Shock. So, they are not some newb developers with pie in the sky ideas that are starting from square one.

BLAH BLAH BLAH…..

Enough is what I say about picking apart games that we haven't even played yet. Sure I didn't like seeing LORD BRITISH show up in their one kick starter video. That is only because I don't want to have to max out my Visa for the latest Cave in this game.

Just like Sword Coast, we have more and more RPG's coming out then ever before. Lets be thankful.

I'm not an ATM and Kickstarter has an extremely shady and shaky track record. We have every right to question all the hype they would want us to blindly follow. There is no such thing as a positivity police.

Ultima 7 is a good example of a game that is more than the sum of its parts.
I loved the whole feel of the game, the story, the history, the music, the virtues, the freedom, the large interactive world to explore, and one of the best villains of all time.
Put simply, it a world that pulls you in as you play the game and you don't want to leave.
If you just gave it a try for a couple of hours I think you'd be hooked.

I'm not an ATM and Kickstarter has an extremely shady and shaky track record. We have every right to question all the hype they would want us to blindly follow. There is no such thing as a positivity police.

You still going on about this? Weren't you proven wrong about successful completed games?

You should realize that this is the same crew that made the original Ultima Underworld games, as well as Thief and System Shock. So, they are not some newb developers with pie in the sky ideas that are starting from square one.

Oh I realize that. I didn't mean smarts/skills resources but time/funding resources. They're going to have to prioritize and these things aren't exactly top of the list in games.

Back
Top Bottom