Unity engine changes - renamed

Dafela

Watchdog
Is there any thread about it?
I didn't find a discussion about current Unity downfall and what could replace it. Because what I have read on forums, it does look quite bad.
Could Valve develop their own engine more?

EDIT:
I renamed it to be more accurate to the theme.

Last edited:
The only thread I'm aware of is on Godot.

As for Unity, I wish it were true, but it's a little early to say it will go under (it wouldn't be the first time people say that either). It's based on C#, which is much easier for programmers to learn than C++. So there will always be a demand for that in the industry, even if the language is less appropriate for real-time applications and can easily be abused.

I think designing an Engine today is a full-time job for an entire company because of all the quickly evolving hardware and the variety of usage. But some companies are still maintaining their engine or making a new one.

It would be good to have a worthy competitor of Unreal but I don't know if any engine comes even close. Maybe the CryEngine? Or Amazon's? I think they bought the CryEngine licence a few years ago, but I'm not really following that.

Here are a few links:

Last edited:
Fall of Unity is sad for those who developed it as a flexible platform and users who invested years of time and money to develop excellent games.

The hard part is that this is caused by greedy and disgusting decisions by the company bosses (from malware to extra charging of developers) - who have actually sold their shares in the company over the last few weeks!

Not the best engine but lead to great games (pillars, pathfinder, shadowrun, battletech .. etc.)

They're renaming their engine? :oops:

That seems like a bold move. I didn't see that in the announcements though, are you sure @Dafela? AFAIK there's no engine change or name change, only a fee policy change (legal or not, I have no idea).

I recently thought that

- the makers of Unity are facing constant losses
- some users of Unity are facing massive profits.

So, if I was one of the original Unity developers, I would become jealous.

And that totally apart from the discussion about the license fees.

Back
Top Bottom