VtM-Bloodlines - Retrospective @ Rock, Paper, Shotgun

There is a big difference between bloodlines and the bethsoft games and that is the size of the available world at anytime. I loved blood lines though and I'm sorry that troika is gone. I compare bloodlines more to the style of dues ex then daggerfall/morrowind/oblivion.

You're right. It's not a very fair comparison.

I'm hoping Alpha Protocol will be more comparable to Bloodlines/Deus Ex, with a multiple hub & mission structure and Obsidian writers at the helm. Brian Mitsoda worked on it for a while, so maybe it will ship with the same flavor.

Except its a MMO is it not?

Ahh I think I'm getting it mixed up with sony's new spy game.

The problem with Troika is that they had some GREAT ideas but they just couldn't seem to pull them off completely. They always flopped on some important detail.

Arcanum? I loved that game but it's one of the rare RPGs I never finished. The setting and story seem really cool at the start but lose their way at some point. The world felt (and looked) just empty, too. It was vast but there was nothing in between the few locations.

ToEE? They had the game system done beautifully but the story they chose to do was dull. Heck, other than there was a place you went into and killed a lot of stuff I don't even remember a story. And the difficulty was very spotty (insanely hard at the start for instance). There were also a lot of serious gameworld flaws built-in like you could choose to specialize in weapons that never appeared in the game and thus you could never get them enchanted.

It sounds like VtM:B had similar problems.

Last edited:
Bloodlines is overrated. I don't mean in general by the press, I don't think the reviews were overwhelmingly positive - I mean by its fans.

I enjoyed the game and it had some EXCELLENT writing and good voice over work but the game felt a bit empty in spots and just small in scale. The combat system also wasn't that great. It seems this was one of those titles that would have benefited from a turn based combat system.

Admittedly, I never finished it but I did get pretty far into it and even tried to replay it several times. But the last areas of the game were a turn off.

I think it's under-rated. ;) For my money, one of the best games I've played in the last however many years. Yeah, there are plenty of flaws but the dialogue, characters and different classes are right up there.

Bloodlines is overrated. I don't mean in general by the press, I don't think the reviews were overwhelmingly positive - I mean by its fans.

Actually, Bloodlines is a rare example of a game which is not overrated by its fans.

Last edited:

I enjoyed the game and it had some EXCELLENT writing and good voice over work but the game felt a bit empty in spots and just small in scale. The combat system also wasn't that great. It seems this was one of those titles that would have benefited from a turn based combat system.

Admittedly, I never finished it but I did get pretty far into it and even tried to replay it several times. But the last areas of the game were a turn off.

While the concepts of overrated and underrated are overused - I tend to agree.

I wasn't impressed with Bloodlines in terms of gameplay and structure. In my opinion, it was a HORRIBLE engine for what they were trying to do, and it felt awkward and clumsy in too many ways. Also, it was rigid and too linear - and the city setting meant I was expecting something a bit more open.

Combat system was bad to mediocre - especially the melee fights. Cutscenes felt wrong and had several issues with animations and sound.

But the atmosphere and story sort of made up for it, but I guess to what extent depends on your tastes. I'd also say some of the levels were excellent, especially the Ocean House hotel. But others were bland and the game was not consistent enough for greatness.

I'd rate it 7/10, personally.

Back
Top Bottom