Welcome - introduce yourself!

I've lurked here since probably the site's inception (and probably even the precursor site, which I forgot its name). I'm rather avoidant/anxious (and a horrid procrastinator), but isolation got the better of me so I opted to make an account. Its been probably a year or so since I've posted on any forum (not too many of those left, I'm afraid). Normally I post on music forums (metal mainly), but I'm thoroughly sick of those, so I opted for my other main interest: RPGs.

My favorites are from the late 80s/early 90s (Ultima, Wizardry, Might and Magic, Gold Box, Darksun, Betrayal at Krondor, etc). Quest of Glory is one of my favorite series as well, but I'm not sure I'd consider that a full-fledged RPG. I'm not too enthused about newer games, but I'll still play some of them to kill the boredom. I'm not sure if my ideal RPG will ever come along, but I guess I'll wait and see if the next gen of developers makes anything I like (the old guard certainly isn't lol). The last few years I've been playing autobattlers, tactic-RPGs, idle/incremental games, etc. Not exactly what I'm looking for, but there's enough of what I like to keep me interested. Honestly RPGs with strategic/simulation elements I like a lot. I'm not too hung up on story, NPCs, etc (which is really hypocritical of me since Ultima 7 is one of my all-time favorite games). I've also found myself playing Diablo-clones the last decade or so. This is really funny because I absolutely hated Diablo when it was first released.

I've been fairly nostalgic towards the Ultima series lately (been watching some youtube retrospectives lately), but I don't think I'd want to actually go back and replay them. The only 90s games I ever feel the compulsion to go back and replay are the Might and Magics. I guess those ones weren't quite as tedious as their peers. I can handle attrition on my first play-through, but after that I'm done.

Welcome; we have similar tastes in games it would seem. May I suggest you give BG 3 a try; there's a TON of posts about the game here at the Watch if you're not sure about it.

Baldur's Gate 3 I've been on the fence about. I'm not a huge Larian fan bar Divine Divinity (flawed gem, but I still really liked that one) and I'm not huge on WotC and modern D&D. We'll see though. Its been quite awhile since I played a real rpg, esp. with a massive city. I'm sure I'll eventually break down and get it anyway.

I am glad that this game is turning out to be a success though. I'm hoping that'll we'll see more RPGs with parties and a AAA budget (turn-based or RTwP, don't really care). Now we need someone to make Might and Magic 6 or Wizardry 8 type games cool again.

Great taste! If you haven't played them, I consider M&M Legacy and Starcrawlers the best turn-based, MMVIesque games since Wizardry 8 - although waiting on a couple that are currently in development.

M&M Legacy wasn't bad - I kinda wish that one had more post-development support and a sequel, but Ubisoft is gonna Ubisoft I guess. Starcrawlers was ok, but I think I bailed midway through. Its sequel doesn't seem to be too well received though.

Legendary Journeys and Heroes of a Broken Land 2 both have promise. Both are one-man projects and probably using unity assets, but that never bothered me too much.

I've recently had a lot of fun with the M&M merge mod which allows you to play M&M 6-8 with one party using the 8 engine. Lots of fun and you can swap between the games after a certain point.

Yeah, I gave that a go awhile back. I think I screwed up and started with MM8 where I should've started with MM6. Playing MM6 with MM8's engine is an interesting idea though (esp. with expanded races/classes).

Welcome to all the new folks, it's a great place to hang out with some very good people here..
I love new RPG'S but started my passion with Ultima 7, understand where you're coming from Shattermind.
Where abouts in Canada are you!

Yeah, I gave that a go awhile back. I think I screwed up and started with MM8 where I should've started with MM6. Playing MM6 with MM8's engine is an interesting idea though (esp. with expanded races/classes).
I'd suggest beginning with 7 since you can't reach the top level with M&M 6 characters since it wasn't a part of that game.

Welcome Shattermind !!

Back
Top Bottom