What defines cRPG most unambiguously (for you) - 2011 RPGWatch Edition

the aspect without which cRPG can´t live without

• character generation upon start up

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • character development (via stat assignments upon level ups)

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • character development (via dialogue/action/story choices)

Votes: 9 26.5%
  • loot gettin´ better and better

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • non-"real time" combat

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • exploring the scenery withouth in-game commitments

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • all of the above, plus more (specify)

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • other

Votes: 5 14.7%

• Total voters
Hm, I checked 'character development through dialog', but I like exploration as well. It depends on the game, actually. Usually it's like this: If one of these aspects has been properly implemented (i.e., is to my liking), I give the gamne credit for this and ignore the stuff that could have been done better -if I want that, I play some other game. Besides, there's always my imagination to expand on it.

In p&p RPGs, character development is paramount for me. I don't really care about combat unless it serves to gets some point across, like, for example, the players' stupidity ;), or if it's important to the development of a character. Or to create suspense. What I really love is if player characters develop dynamic relationships with each others, and I mean independently (as far as possible) of their players' real life relationships. Rivalry, friendship, hate -the whole gamut. I really, really like that.
And I don't care much about stats, but that's an open secret. I'm fiddling with stats all day at work, so I don't need them to ruin my time off as well.

I do not know how TDE present their game. In my experience, fantasygames in general tend to have good support for Hack & Slash gameplay, but it's not neccessary.

I am not sure if you and I refer to the same thing when we say storytelling. When I use the word I refer to the "storytelling-system" or otherwise known as the World of Darkness games (Vampire, Werewolf, Mage, Wraith, Changeling and Hunter) that had their peak in popularity during the 90'ies. They pushed "roleplaying" as an artform in a snobby fashion. Beneath the surface it was perfectly fine to play the storytelling system as a hack & slash though.

Call of Cthulhu was kinda harder to play in that fashion. Cthulhufans might argue that BRP is so great that it doesn't focus on combat. I would argue that BRP is just a horrible system that doesn't allow much at all. That said, I embrace the idea that a Cthulhu-game isn't about rules and have a stronger focus on roleplaying a character and let yourself be absorbed with the world.

Other: Choices & consequences. Never seen an RPG without it, nor have I seen non-RPGs with it. It's certainly not the only thing that defines RPGs, but I do consider it essential.

What defines cRPG versus other coputer game genres, is to me that in a CRPG I get to define (instead of just play) the role of my character. That means, in a CRPG I must have agency in deciding what kind of character I am playing, and it must have consequences in terms of gameplay, story, or both.

What defines cRPG versus other coputer game genres, is to me that in a CRPG I get to define (instead of just play) the role of my character. That means, in a CRPG I must have agency in deciding what kind of character I am playing, and it must have consequences in terms of gameplay, story, or both.

Sounds like a reasonable definition to me.

But, would something like Batman Arkham Asylum match you definition?

Sounds like a reasonable definition to me.

But, would something like Batman Arkham Asylum match you definition?

Haven't played it, so I can't answer that. I have played other games that are borderline of course, including both: games that were, and games that were not called RPGs by their publishers.

Haven't played it, so I can't answer that. I have played other games that are borderline of course, including both: games that were, and games that were not called RPGs by their publishers.

I've only played part of it myself.

But, you do upgrade your character with abilities and improved gear. I'm not sure if you can actually influence the story by making different choices - but I kinda doubt it.

I think I'm just curious if "powers and gear" would be enough in terms of affecting the gameplay.

I've only played part of it myself.

But, you do upgrade your character with abilities and improved gear. I'm not sure if you can actually influence the story by making different choices - but I kinda doubt it.

I think I'm just curious if "powers and gear" would be enough in terms of affecting the gameplay.

Personally, I would say if "powers and gear" significantly affect your gameplay style in a lasting way, it could be. If its just shades of run and gun with different visual effects, or if you can simply switch out your gear at any time to switch to a different gameplay style, then no.

Personally, I would say if "powers and gear" significantly affect your gameplay style in a lasting way, it could be. If its just shades of run and gun with different visual effects, or if you can simply switch out your gear at any time to switch to a different gameplay style, then no.

Fair enough, thanks.

Well, I must say that I've sadly never played TDE pen & paper outside of convention.
And there seem to be very different approaches of/at playing this ...
So I just don't have that much experience, I'm sorry ...

I voted "other" because "all of the above" didn't quite fit, and my preference is more complicated than just one of the choices.

Being able to custom-build a character (either through start-up character gen, or through level-up, gameplay, or dialogue choices) is one of the key elements I look for. Ideally these character choices will affect the way the game plays.

Also, being able to take multiple approaches to obstacles - like for example, using diplomacy, stealth, or combat to progress beyond an enemy guard. This to me is what separates RPGs from adventure games which usually have a very specific solution to obstacles and puzzles.

I also highly value non-linearity and the option for exploration. I like being able to stumble upon things which might be too powerful, not being hand-held and told where to go next all the time. A world that seems "living and breathing" helps a lot as well. For example, having wildlife in wilderness areas, or bits of detail that make the world feel lived in.

A well-made story is not an essential element - as I'm sometimes content to build my own story, if the world I'm playing in is compelling enough. I'm also fine with just enjoying RPGs on a "hack & slash" or tactical level, if the game mechanics are intricate enough to make it interesting.

I wish more devs would consider a turn-based approach, but I've had a fine time with plenty of real-time RPGs.

Back
Top Bottom