What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

Just saw One Life tonight, beautiful movie. I'm serious when I say at times it strikes an emotional chord almost as powerful as Schindler's List.

We saw Kung-fu Panda 4. I was worried since the audience reviews consistently said it was the worst of the series but I really enjoyed it, at least as much as 2 and 3. The last fight ended when it was just starting to heat up, so that was a little disappointing. Still a pretty good fight. My girlfriend slept through 90% of it, so she wasn't a fan.

This could be interesting. Denis Villeneuve is set to direct ‘NUCLEAR WAR: A SCENARIO’.
Villeneuve is easily the most consistently best director of recent years. Just great film after great film.
I wonder if this indicates he's done with Dune. I thought perhaps he'd go after the second book, but maybe he's burned out.

I wonder if this indicates he's done with Dune. I thought perhaps he'd go after the second book, but maybe he's burned out.
It's been officially confirmed that Dune - Messiah was greenlit and will be his last of the Dune movies.
Unless they manage to convince him otherwise. I expect WB and Legendary to want to keep making them, and likely run them into the ground if necessary.

Speaking of, I just finished re-watching Part 1, and will be seeing Part 2.

Even Peter Jackson did The Hobbit while burned out on LOTR.

I'd love to see Braindead 2. (aka. Dead Alive, in USA. If you haven't seen this masterpiece by Peter JAckson, get it now. :) )

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0uS3t6nFgY

I have a feeling this is more flash than substance. But it looks interesting.
And the cast is impressive.
I'm looking forward to this one. It's the 3rd film in the X series (after X and Pearl). I liked the first two quite a bit.
The first two were filmed back to back in NZ (during COVID lockdown I think?), but this one probably wasn't.

EDIT: snap!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xy8aJw1vYHo

This'll be interesting. Also a bit odd they didn't know any of the singing? That's been the word on the street, that this is also a musical of sorts?
I'll be curious how this plays out, but it could be decent. But it does seem to imply a less dark and depressing mood than the first. Maybe more maniacal.

I went to Kung Fu Theatre last night and watched "The Chinese Professionals", aka "One Armed Boxer." The better known movie "The Flying Guillotine" is a sequel to it.

Once I leaned into its hilariousness, I had fun. It's incredibly dumb. It had English dubs and Spanish subtitles, and the English actors seemed to deliberately be trying to sabotage the movie with the line readings and the goofy voices.

X and Pearl were both quality horror flicks. I get the concern that there might be plenty of sizzle and no steak. But I suspect there might be some real substance here.

Note during the trailer how Maxine is saying, "I'm a star!" Just like a younger Pearl did. Maxine was the final girl in X, but is she going to become an angry embittered murderer just like Pearl when her dreams come crashing down?

The Night House

Stars the excellent Rebecca Hall, Sarah Goldberg showing she has non-comedic chops, and a greying Vondie Curtis-Hall.
Same director as the excellent The Ritual and the not-as-good but better-than-I thought-it-would be Hellraiser reboot.
The plot kept me guessing for most of the movie, though I thought it became obvious what was going on well before the protagonist worked it out. As things go, that was pretty good. With few exceptions (e.g., Barbarian) I don't often fail to guess what's going on in modern horror fare.
The antagonist is shown with some clever uses of negative space (you'll have to watch it to see what I mean), so it's a bit unfortunate that a moe mundane representation is used in the climactic scenes.
Still, overall, this was pretty good.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Tshycci2ZA

Last edited:
In preparation for The Gentlemen series, I watched The Gentlemen movie. It was alright. A bit formulaic and similar to most Guy Ritchie british mobster movies. But it was fine.
Surprisingly my favorite character was Colin Farrel's. That was a fun one, in a number of scenes. Burst out laughing I did.

Beau Is Afraid
WTF.
It was entertaining at times, but at other times strangely dull.
Like all of the director's movies, there were parts that will be indelibly etched onto the surface of my brain.
Memorable moments:
  • Seeing the main characters huge swollen balls, the size of tennis balls, as he gets laid for the first time.
  • The penis monster. Seriously, it's a giant penis with mouth and eyes and two huge testicles and some insectile arms. WTF.
I hope Aster gets back to horror at some point.

Beau Is Afraid
WTF.
It was entertaining at times, but at other times strangely dull.
I enjoyed it overall but I thought it was overly self-indulgent/heavy-handed in parts. I enjoyed the start the most and the sequence where he gets "adopted" was a highlight for me. Some of the lengthier scenes could have been edited down/removed completely. I nearly fell asleep during that story-telling sequence.

I enjoyed the start the most and the sequence where he gets "adopted" was a highlight for me.
Me too! I was thinking "hey, maybe this is going to be better than I was warned", then that middle section brought things down with a thud. Then in the final third it started to get interesting again... and then it went completely wacko.

Back
Top Bottom