What to play next?

yllaettaevaet

Sentinel
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
I totally love Lands of Lore throne of chaos.
I like Eschalon.
I like Skyrim.
I like Grimrock.

Now I'm open to play a next game. An older game… Or old-like… I didn't play many classics! I'm in a good position!

- Baldurs Gate
- Planescape Torment
- Eschalon Book 2
- Fallout 2
- Dwarf Fortress (umh, but I'll fail probably)
- Deus Ex

My tendency is from top to bottom… As for Planescape, I hope I can handle the lot of reading. I mean it's attractive to play old games, but a fact is, I got used to the new games comfort as well…

Everyone fails at Dwarf fortress, multiple times, that is a part of the game! Use the keyword "fun" in the dwarf fortress wiki search engine:
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

Anyway, I would recommend Planescape Torment. Still the game with the best overall story & writing to this date, and the writing is so good that you won't mind all the reading. But Dwarf Fortress is fun as well

Fun is the point of Dwarf Fortress. I might have to set up another colony soon...

*cue thunder and evil laughter*

Baldur's Gate is a classic that every crpg fan should play at least once imo. Even more so if you're a fan of D&D.

Planescape Torment is also a must-play, and so is Deus Ex as long as you're ok with the first-person mechanics.

I think that planescape torment is must play.I don't know what classics did you played but if you like fallout 2 and planescape, arcanum and temple of elemental evil might be to your liking as well.Also Neverwinter nights 2 mask of betrayer have best story and characters after PS:T but if you decide to go for that get all expansions and let game update on internet which might not kill all gremlins game engine have(game works perfectly for some people and for others simply don't).

PST's a given, and anyone claiming to be an RPG fan should give it a try. I'll second TNO's Arcanum suggestion, and raise him an Arx Fatalis. The controls don't feel so good anymore, but it's got a good setting and some interesting ideas.

Might and Magic 4 and 5 (collectively the World of Xeen) is remarkably playable for such an old game, and worth putting up with some old school cheesy weirdness.

I agree, at least because PS:T is so much ... different ... from any fantasy or otherwise role-playing game setting/cliché ...

I am not familiar with Lands of Lore throne of chaos so i don't know what you like. But on that list, Torment was my favorite. It totally spins classic RPG convention on its head. And the writing is great. It's unique and an all-time classic.

No fair spinning convention on its head until you know the conventions! I would say the Baldur's Gate series first, then something else that isn't Infinity Engine (Witcher perhaps?), then Planescape: Torment.

OK, I think I'll play PST , then BG. The good side of this is, I can play those games on my notebook. BTW, PST process crashes on Win7x64 after you exit it, but it seems to be no problem...

OK, I think I'll play PST , then BG. The good side of this is, I can play those games on my notebook. BTW, PST process crashes on Win7x64 after you exit it, but it seems to be no problem…

Just little note if you plan to play PS:T or BG or any infinity engine with widescreen mod don't install them in program files folder it might cause crashes and some other minor bugs.

Lands of Lore? M&M6-8 sounds like a given then.

Oh, and you might want to fire up Gothic if you've never tried it. The learning curve is somewhat steep, but after the first few hours you're in for quite a ride. Gothic 2 uses the same control scheme, but is even better.

Beyond that, BG and PST are both good recommendations. I honestly think BG is a better place to start than PST due to PST being somewhat.. special. Then again, BG is being released in an enhanced edition soon, so that might be worth waiting for. I'm certainly going to give that EE edition a try as soon as it's out.

Thx @Nameless one, Problems due to spaces in path names?

Well I've played Risen and well I wasn't open to play something similar but older. But I know, Gothic II is a must-play… One day…

Might&Magic are not available on GOG, ohhhh…
EDIT: Of course they are. 1-6: http://www.gog.com/gamecard/might_and_magic_6_limited_edition
7 and 8 as well...

Thx @Nameless one, Problems due to spaces in path names?

quote from site I downloaded mod:
WINDOWS 7 AND VISTA USERS
It is highly recommended that you should NOT install the game to your C:\Program Files\ directory. That directory is a special directory and is locked by Windows to make it impossible for other files to alter what is installed there (for security reasons), which means it will potentially cause you a few problems later when you try to save games or install mods. To make life easier on yourself, just install the game to a different directory (eg. C:\Games\) or a different drive (eg. D:\).

Alternatively, turn off UAC and you can save to the "Program Files" directory just fine.

The GOG download works. AFAIR if software tries to save to the program dir, stuff is being stored to some VirtualStore folder somewhere in %appdata%… I think it's a Win7 mechanism.
E.g., the Lands of Lore savegames are in "%userprofile%\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\GOG.com\Lands Of Lore 1 and 2\Lands of Lore 1\"

In Planescape, can I turn off the confirmation voice when I tell my party to go anywhere?
And: The widescreen mod! Is it trustworthy software? Where to download best? Will it work with gog.com PST release?

EDIT: OK, I installed the widescreen mod, and set it to 1920x1200, which is my screen res. Ugh, some elements are pretty small now, but worse: Inventory screen etc. are still 640x480 and reside in the top left of my screen. And moving the play area while moving the mouse makes the screen flicker...

Last edited:
EDIT: OK, I installed the widescreen mod, and set it to 1920x1200, which is my screen res. Ugh, some elements are pretty small now, but worse: Inventory screen etc. are still 640x480 and reside in the top left of my screen. And moving the play area while moving the mouse makes the screen flicker…

Sorry I forgot to mention you also need ghostdog UI mod with widescreen mod.With him you can increase size of UI(betwen 120%-200% if I remember correctly).

Is it playable on a 22" 1920x1200 monitor or is stuff too small? Because AFAICS Ghostdog UI mod only changes font size; but e.g. the inventory screen etc. are veeery smal, also the knobs to the right in the bottom bar... I maybe try another resolution, but not sure if I have to reinstall evrything.

I folloed this guide: http://www.gog.com/en/news/mod_spotlight_planescape_torment_mods_guide/

Back
Top Bottom