what was it worth...??????????

Can someone please summarize this thread for me?
It's giving me a headache.

It's a silly thread and I'm being silly in it. That's all I know.

Celtic is asking the question whether it was worth changing the tos causing many people to leave or stop posting. He is kinda frustrated i guess. This isnt the only forum i go to so i dont make threads like these. That said i am still a little disappointed.

Right, that must be the reason why nostory games like Skyrim have their own section while there is almost no mention of visual novels with heavy story.

No scripted story. Some time ago, people used to write blogs on this kind of games, sort of diary of an adventurer in the world of.
The story players made for themselves featuring their avatar could be shared at no risk of spoiling a scripted story.

There was something to be shared. In story products, players buy the story and do not wish it to be spoilt. There is nothing to share, let alone discuss.

Looking at Deus Ex, the gameplay is so low there is no material to discuss. Story cant be touched.

So people write about surrounding elements like commercial policies, PC requirements etc

No scripted story. Some time ago, people used to write blogs on this kind of games, sort of diary of an adventurer in the world of.
The story players made for themselves featuring their avatar could be shared at no risk of spoiling a scripted story.
Are we talking about Skyrim or about Sims games?
See… Sims games have no story just like Skyrim and there are numerous "stories" made up by the audience who's simdolls do things.
But this site doesn't cover Sims. Why would it, it's not RPG, regardless of heavy stories made by it's audience.

Looking at Deus Ex, the gameplay is so low there is no material to discuss. Story cant be touched.
You mean the last DX game?
It's hybrid as it's predecessor. You can go gunblazing or stealth, you can go plain shooter or skillupgrading path, there is more than one way to solve things.
Gameplay is not so low unless you were expecting Dark Souls clone. Luckily for me, DX is not Dark Souls, you don't have to care about one and only way to deal with a boss unless you'll grind - you can do anything any way you want and you can do the game on your very first runthrough without any grind.
Story can be touched, for example, and I believe I mentioned it already, a certain NPC how helps you through the game will die if you don't do sidemission #9. And to receiveside mission #9 you have to accept mafia's proposal in #4. Choices-consequences.

So people write about surrounding elements like commercial policies, PC requirements etc
People will always write about policies, especially if there is something they don't like.
Since when PC requirements for spectacular visuals stopped to be an important thing? Especially in case of a rare game that dared to enhance the damned hair.
Check the footage of upcoming Watch Dogs 2 as a counterexample. Everyone in that game is still on leukemia treatments or a moment ago used sheep woolscissors.

Last edited:
See… Sims games have no story just like Skyrim and there are numerous "stories" made up by the audience who's simdolls do things.
But this site doesn't cover Sims. Why would it, it's not RPG, regardless of heavy stories made by it's audience.
Your definition, boy, just yours. Definitely not mine.
Or rather ... no video game is a true RPG. Only pen&paper RPGs are RPGs.
Then again, I don't really care about a game's genre tag as long as I like the game, and I like different games for different reasons. And yes, I think more fondly of my Sim who that guy stole the sofa from while she was sitting on it than of the party of creeps in Dungeon Master 2.
Though one of them looked like a horse which was kind of neat.

But to get back to Skyrim: Just look at Wolfgrimdark's wonderful visual novels and travelogs. Yes, you can find them here on this site, but I somehow suspect that you rarely ever venture into the mystic realms of the Elder Scrolls forums.

Celtic is asking the question whether it was worth changing the tos causing many people to leave or stop posting. He is kinda frustrated i guess. This isnt the only forum i go to so i dont make threads like these. That said i am still a little disappointed.

Ok, that makes sense now. Thanks!

I missed all of the original controversy so I have no idea.

On the other hand, my wife actually chased one of our friends out of the house last night over his opinions on protest voting in the US. *That* was pretty exciting. If political conversations get that heated with friends we've known for decades I can only imagine political conversations on the net hiding out in an RPG-based forum.

:)

(Personally, I've always preferred the Gnomish Conclave to the Elven Council or the Dwarfish Guild; politically speaking.)

High, high up in the mountains of the southwestern
I was proceeding under the assumption that a thread title with three periods and ten question marks was probably composed after a number of deliciously refreshing glasses of foamy beer. :biggrin:

Yes it was :biggrin:

-it-was-worth-it_20120621002219.jpg

… no video game is a true RPG. Only pen&paper RPGs are RPGs.
Funny how pen and paper RPGs are all multi-player

you rarely ever venture into the mystic realms of the Elder Scrolls forums
For those who like trivia, I haven't been back there since I got banned for writing a bug report for Oblivion which they took as insulting the game.

How many people actually stopped coming here because of the TOS? :thinking:

Off the top of my head i can only think of DArt and HHR, they made threads before they left though.

Off the top of my head i can only think of DArt and HHR, they made threads before they left though.

I reckon they just got pissed off because they were getting as good they gave. HHR was getting increasingly desperate, and Dart quit posting months before the change in TOS, only popping back in to denounce them as evidence of the terminal decline.

HHR left when his post/thread got deleted. I dunno about DArt though.

DArt's departure had very little to do with that. He realized that he was spending too much time on the forums and decided to spend his free time more wisely.
It's hard to blame him for that realization because he was on here many days actively posting in five minute (max) intervals for 14 hours/day (08:00 to 22:00 CET). He even admitted he was obsessed in his farewell post and cited the site's "direction" (not sure if that was directed at the rules change or something else?) as only a minor reason... here goes...

Anyway:

I'm leaving permanently.

The primary reason is simply that it takes so much time to participate the way I enjoy participating.

I've other things I want to do in my spare time - and there always seems to be some reply that I have to respond to - which is a strong compulsion.

A lesser reason is that I don't think the site is headed in the right direction. That's really none of my business, though - and I wish you all the best.

I haven't really followed the "drama" too closely but the only person I can think of that left primarily because of the new rules was dteowner.

Dte did NOT leave primarily because of the new rules. It was primarily because of a conflict between him and Myrthos which was not based on the new ToS!! I still play DDO with him every week.

Funny how pen and paper RPGs are all multi-player
Thrasher said:
I played a few pencil and paper RPG adventures that were single player.
Well, there are the SP p&p RPG books. I played those, too (and wrote a few of those SP p&p things as well), and there is the SP situation with one player and one GM ... which always was the most intensive RPGing experience for me, provided I (as a player) was free to decide where to go, what to do, and how. A certain degree of freedom (or a great GM who made me do exactly what they wanted but made me believe it all had been my own decision) always made and still makes me enjoy games the most, regardless of genres. Exploration is a part of this, but while I enjoy tight stories they may as well be a hindrance if they force me on rails.
SirJames said:
For those who like trivia, I haven't been back there since I got banned for writing a bug report for Oblivion which they took as insulting the game.
You weren't banned here, were you? To make it clear, I meant our very own Elder Scroll forum/s.

Other products allow to write your own stories. They are not covered on here either.

Skyrim and the Sims have this in common: they allow to share a story without spoiling it, contrary to prewritten stories.

Sim players might still run blogs to share their stories.

You mean the last DX game?
It's hybrid as it's predecessor. You can go gunblazing or stealth, you can go plain shooter or skillupgrading path, there is more than one way to solve things.
Gameplay is not so low unless you were expecting Dark Souls clone.

Gameplay is low. It has nothing to do with not being a pattern based gameplay product a la DS.
Story can be touched, for example, and I believe I mentioned it already, a certain NPC how helps you through the game will die if you don't do sidemission #9. And to receiveside mission #9 you have to accept mafia's proposal in #4. Choices-consequences.
It tells nothing of the story. It is phrased to avoid spoiling anything on the story.

DX is a one shot, one run experience. Sometimes, players are taken by surprise by outcomes as nothing let them think of the consequences.
This is not touching the story, it is a warning about a possible ruining situation that could end by not reflecting the player's wishes.

People will always write about policies, especially if there is something they don't like.

Except that for story driven products, those are not secondary topics to report on but first ones as the core one (the story) can not be touched.

Sorry, Ovenall when did you hack Chien's acc? :p

Back
Top Bottom