What was your first car?

carvercasey

Banned
The first car I ever owned was a green 1970 Chevy Nova. I was 18 and I bought it for $3,000 and owned it for about 15 years. The car I traded it for was carp.

It was a SPAM-mobile ...

The-Spam-Mobile.jpg

I've never owned one. My wife brought her 1996 Volkswagen Polo from Lebanon when she moved to Finland in 2000 when we got married, but we just sold it, so now the household is car(e)-free.

Owned lots of bicycles, though. Currently have four, plus share ownership in two others (one of which is a tandem).

(What does it say about me that I find these spam threads so interesting?)

I think it's because this weird new trend in spam takes what seems like someone's original thought and builds off normal human interests to convert it into an insidious but ultimately ridiculous vehicle to infiltrate other people's computers. Is Jaz removing the links, or are they buried or what?

My first car—exactly what you'd expect:
1967volkswagenvanagon.jpg

Only it was that turquoise color.

Last edited:
My first car was a Vauxhall Viva, but that's about all I remember of it. It was SO long ago!! :)

Our first car, which we bought 31 years ago was a VW Polo. Colour: Orange. Unofficially I called it "Icterus". I didn't tell my wife - for some reason she wasn't entirely happy with my wish to use medical terms for names. (I seriously - well, not really - considered calling our second daughter "Ane Mia", both are regular and legal norwegian names. But my courage failed me, she ended up with "Marit")

My first car was a LIncoln Continental Mark VI. It was a real monster, and it sucked down gas so fast that I could barely afford to even drive it.

Is Jaz removing the links, or are they buried or what?
The link is in the signature, and the signature vanishes the moment the bot is banned :).
My first car was a silver Talbot Horizon.

An extremely clunky Fiat Ritmo whose electrical systems broke down about once per month in the wet Gothenburg winter. I owned it for about 8 months, purchased it for 200 euros and spent maybe 100 euros a month on fixing the generator:p

The only good thing about it was that it's general crappiness meant that you had no qualms whatsoever about mistreating it.

I had a friend who bought a red Fiat sports car back in the late 60's to 'get chicks.' I'll never forget the time he took two of us girls out(because neither of us wanted to be alone with him ;) ) and we had to help him push the car off the street to a gas station to find a mechanic. Needless to say, not the sort of experience he was hoping for. :)

@Deep O: what does your picture mean? It looks like a medeival cleric. Was your first car the popemobile or something? ;)

@Jaz: Thanks for 'splainin. Never heard of a Talbot anything over here, but it sounds more British than German.

The Horizon was originally made by Simca (a French manufacturer), but Simca were swallowed and cannibalized by a whole series of other companies in rapid succession; I remember seeing Horizons manufactured by Simca, by Talbot and by Talbot-Simca (displaying the Chrysler star) parking side by side in front of a mall…
You might know the car as a Plymouth Horizon or Dodge Omni; I've seen both when I was in Iowa.

My first car was a 1984 Ford EXP. Yellow. Looks like the one in the link ( http://www.fordexp.com/images/CarImage.asp?tbl=UserCarPics&kf=UserCarPicId&id=1031&is=480 ) but. . .err . . .yellow.

THEN, after I killed it I took over my family's 1962 Chevy Nova. Took A LOT to kill that baby. She was tougher than I. The color being red should have warned me that I would NEVER beat her. She just simply decided to retire.

My next car wasn't a car but a truck. Chevy S10 Longbed. Red and White stripe. I had that truck for a few years. But, eventually I killed that too.

After those, the car I had for many years after was a Mercury Topaz. I forget the year. 4 door. I was out of High School then and that was the car I took care of.

Eventually I sold her to keep my 1973 Jaguar XJ12. She's my baby but I don't driver her anymore. 20 gallon gas tank and a V8 started to break me. (Switched from the faulty V12 to Chevy 350 V8.

The first new car I owned is my 2005 Hyundai Sonata. They changed the model in 2006 and I always liked the look that reminded me a bit of my Jag lights.

*shrugs* I know the thread said FIRST car but I guess I got carried away. :)

Back
Top Bottom