Which RPG has best combat system?

Based on what I remember, the Fallout one seems way more random as far as hits/misses went, sometimes even the damage seemed wonky. Fallout two though made more sense, if you had the skills you knew what you needed to do and roughly how much damage you'd inflict.

Last Remnant…
Now that game has an unique combat system and since it's the only game that uses it, it's automatically the best existing. Of that combat type. Dunno how would I call it at all.
I wish Square Enix didn't treat that game and the system as an unwanted child. Or better yet, I wish someone else tried to make a better game with similar combat.

I mostly remember that after a certin point in FO1 I mostly just fired my gun on full auto, and that it generally meant that any enemy I was fighting would be instantly killed. It was so effective, I don't remember having any reason to do anything else or any need for companions.

I don't think that was true in FO2. Enemies could survive a lot more punishment and while it was often a bit silly, it did allow for some more strategy and options. I think I even created an effective melee/martial arts character.

Based on what I remember, the Fallout one seems way more random as far as hits/misses went, sometimes even the damage seemed wonky. Fallout two though made more sense, if you had the skills you knew what you needed to do and roughly how much damage you'd inflict.

Wizardry 8, Gothic 2, Dark Souls 2, Divinity:OS, Mass Effect 3

Hey, look what the combat system dragged in? ;) Nice to see you around again DeepO.

Some of my personal favorites:

Mid period Goldbox AD&D (Curse of the Azure Bonds Levels 5-12)
Gothic 2 - Risen- Dark Souls (third person melee systems)
Dark Messiah (Best first person melee system - not exceeded yet by another modern game as yet in my opinion)
Dark Sun and Knights of the Chalice (The engine connection)
Another vote for Wizardry 8 - great depth!
Icewind Dale (Infinity Engine)

I would throw in Final Fantasy VI to my favs as well. Gothic/Gothic 2/Risen in terms of action-based.

Last Remnant for sure. Seems like one of the most unique systems in any RPG lately.

Ranged/Realistic Combat: Jagged Alliance 2
Fantasy Combat: Avernum 1, Avadon 1

I wouldn't call the Dark Souls series RPGs, but day-um...that series relies on nearly 100% skill to be decent at. You can be at lvl 1 armed with fists and no armor and beat the tar out of some lvl 80 idiot armored to his testicles with adamantium and dual wielding magical bastard swords if you know how to play. What other game has that?

I have no twitch skills, I like chess. I move way too slowly through life to "twitch" at anything but a bee flying at me.

I'm kind of a turn-based junkie because I *don't* need to have amazing reflexes and twitch skills. (And I think that as people age, your reflexes and twitch skills will decline no matter what. Then those calming turn-based games start looking really good.)

High, high up in the mountains of the southwestern
Like others, I feel it really depends on the combat type:

Action:
- Mass Effect 3. I've also heard that Dragon's Dogma has a fantastic combat system, but I never got around to trying it.

Turn based:
- Divinity: Original Sin. One of few TB games I really liked.

RTwP:
- Baldur's Gate 2.

Is there such a thing as "real time" that isn't "action"? If so, I guess Gothic 2 would be it for me, but I suppose it's more of an honorable mention in the "action" category.

I wouldn't call the Dark Souls series RPGs, but day-um…that series relies on nearly 100% skill to be decent at. You can be at lvl 1 armed with fists and no armor and beat the tar out of some lvl 80 idiot armored to his testicles with adamantium and dual wielding magical bastard swords if you know how to play. What other game has that?

This is indeed true however for PvE armour and level is huge help. Most people won't be able to beat most of the bosses without proper armour or high hp etc. So it is an RPG but you can also completely ignore the RPG part if you like.

Action: Dark Souls series,
Turn-based: Wizardry 8 and Ogre Tactics
RPG-Strategy Hybrid: Kings Bounty

Oh, RPG-Strategy Hybrid: I can also recommend Legends of Eisenwald here. Extremely good combat system.

1 - Telepath Tactics (caution as a RPG it has many design problems)
2 - King's Bounty The Legend.

ToEE, DOS or WL2 are no match with them from the pure combats aspect.

Back
Top Bottom