Why I Am Quitting MMORPGs & Playing Single-Player Forever

Then why did you give the game a good review ?

I thought I gave it a pretty mediocre review, noting:
This is one of those divisive games that some will love and others will hate—both sides with justification. Once you hit your stride there are long stretches of nice battles and interesting areas, but nothing stands out compared to other games in the genre. Take any fantasy themed game and add some high-tech weapons to the dwarf's arsenal, and there's Mage Knight: Apocalypse. Because it is loosely linked to the Mage Knight universe, there is a special appeal to fans of those games. But the look, feel and gameplay suggest more of a budget release from a fledgling developer than a major release from a big-name publisher.

The big thing for me is that it is *still* $50 at BestBuy and others! For a game that I would say is limited fun and perhaps worth a shot if you're a likely fan - if it cost $20!

Ammon777, have you played the Icewind Dale series? It's quite old but I found the story and gameworld very interesting. Also check out Temple Of Elemental Evil (oldie but goodie) but only after patching it with the Co8 mod. That game has more bugs than the Starship Troopers movies.
Yup, I played Icewind Dale 1 and 2 and loved those games. Also played Temple of Elemental Evil, it was pretty good too. I've played all the older games like Baldurs Gate(s), Planescape Torment, and Fallout(s). Thanks for the suggestion though. I'm an experienced gamer, hehe. I am also surprised that Baldurs Gate collection is STILL being sold at most online gamer stores, I find that amazing.

EDIT -- Ive played games since the days of Pool of Radiance and old Ultima.

The big thing for me is that it is *still* $50 at BestBuy and others! For a game that I would say is limited fun and perhaps worth a shot if you're a likely fan - if it cost $20!
I probably wont buy it then based on your review. :) There are plenty of other games I'm interested in.

You gave it 3/5. It means that crap is passable to you.
I gave it 3/5, in that you are correct. Yet your assertion that I gave it a 'good' review has now changed to 'passable', even though you seem bent on taking issue with me on it.

Perhaps in my earlier post instead of saying 'it is crap', I should have said 'it is mediocre and generic and only if you are a true MK fan will you enjoy it much' ... but my main goal was to warn him away from paying $50 for a game that simply isn't worth it.

If that unclear verbage is what seems to be causing you to pick at me in different threads, I hope this clears it up ... otherwise I don't know what your problem it with me.

only if you are a true MK fan
You nearly got me there, Mike! Only after re-reading the thread I realized that you were talking about Mage Knight... for me, MK will always stand for Mortal Kombat ;).

Must be a Canada vs US thing!! :) Let's keep on topic in the off topic forum!! :biggrin:

This post was just great and I signed off the MMORPG's for good this year. I will never look back.

To me, MMORPG's is a lifethreatening poison that slowly drains you away, both your time and your money. They can be addicting or they can make you feel forced to play a virtual character that do absolutely nothing for your real life. The game itself is often rather crappy and like you say you have not learned what evil humankind is capable of before you play a MMO. It's a real eye opener.

The time spent on MMORPG is better off spicing up your real life. The money spent on them is better spent on games that are actually good and can be finished and put away eventually.

Last edited:
I finished Neverwinter Nights 2, loved it and recommend it wholeheartily. I had two occasions of cutscenes not starting, in both cases I just reloaded an earlier save. That problem was fixed in 1.02. NWN2 is a definite nominee as RPG of the year if not more. Get it, you have no reason to wait for anything.

Enough of all the MMORPG Kindergarten experience ? Wanna play a turn based non linear space RPG with realtime planetary missions, old school text adventuring, ship upgrading....

...the answer is: Space Rangers 2 (the package with SR1 included)

Yeah, we know. Most of us played it months ago!!

Didn't finish it yet, but I recommend BfME2. I play very few games, but this one comes before Oblivion, AoE3 and that new Tomb Raider. Since you're playing number one right now, you'll like nr 2 more

Ya I am planning on buying Battle for Middle Earth 2 + Witch King soon. I wanna play the first one first, hehe.

Enough of all the MMORPG Kindergarten experience ? Wanna play a turn based non linear space RPG with realtime planetary missions, old school text adventuring, ship upgrading....

I will look into it, thanks.

Ya I am planning on buying Battle for Middle Earth 2 + Witch King soon. I wanna play the first one first, hehe.

But isn´t everyone saying that the LotR license is the only thing saving the BfME games from mediocrity?

BFME I is a great game IMHO (and most reviews tend to agree), most people tend to prefer it over part II, that's what I tend to see in reactions from the community on forums regarding the "inevitable Part I vs Part II" discussions. Plus, as soon as II hit, it dropped to like 15-20 bucks

My only gripe with BFME is that it sorta runs against my style of play. I commonly play RTS with the goal of not losing, or losing very few units. In BFME, to "level up" your structures and therefore the units they produce, you need to keep them busy cranking out units. Which means, you have to basically kamikaze units, which took some getting used to for me

"The War of the Ring" is the LOTR RTS universally slammed, as far as I know. I kinda like it, grabbed it for like 7 bucks outta the bargain bin, like a LOTR total conversion for WCIII. A little too cartoony for LOTR subject matter, and lackluster gameplay, tho stomping around with the Balrog is pretty cool

Last edited:
Ammon777 which mmog did you spend the most time in?

I was thinking of tryin EQ2 again for a couple of months, becasue I have been playing single player games 95% of my gaming.
Now single player games are just rushed how incomplete to meet deadlines and are to total nightmare to get through and your lucky your waiting till games get patched before you try them.

Bloodlines, Sith Lords, Oblivion, G3, NWN2 and DM they were all nightmares and I wasted some much time restarting characters, tweaking ini file. rebooting from crashes and hard locks.

I too really like to solo and while I don't have nearly 5 years of mmogs more like 6 months 8 tops and I have never played PvP.
For me the grind if fun the first time but then as you mentioned once you start getting involved with guilds you have responablities which eat away at your freedom and pleasure if you like solo.
Guilds could be fun if your in the mindset for that but for me I never was really happy unless I was building my toon for the first time.

Sounds like you have alot of single player games to catch up on. :)

Oh on Bloodlines I hope you are using the Unoffical patch, makes a big dfference.

I had a look at Space Rangers 2, but it looks alot like a blend between ELITE and StarCraft. Are there any RPG in it at all?

Back
Top Bottom