Why women more frustrated by computers?

Other interpretation... the girls haven't seen your photo so they're not sure if they would want you to say hello.

So there's no naked Kayla looking at the picture thread here at RPGWatch :smug:

Damn, and I had such high hopes :)fingerscrossed:)

No. I am currently mounting a challenge against Dorothy for the sexy crown. I am wearing cow PJ's and fluffy cow slippers. Even Dhruin laughed first time he saw this ensemble. It's winter here (well, start of winter, and currently 4 degrees (C). A wee bit chilly here. Besides, it's a community service that I wear clothing.

@Dhruin. Yeah, you're really technical. That's why neither you or your dad could fix the toilet door and then I did... in five minutes. And who can't use the washing machine? You get more annoyed than me when the internet is down or we have a blackout. I get annoyed but you get more annoyed.

LOL, you shouldn't have opened that door dhruin.

He obviously thought I would get defensive, and I couldn't let him down.:biggrin:

Dhruin is great with computers, but some other things he isn't that technically gifted and I just like to rub it in that sometims he's as incompetant as I am.

You actually did... You said men who are tinkerers use Linux while women prefer the Mac OS GUI...

Ah, nice. I absolutely love people turning the words in my mouth.

Men, who are tinkerers in general, rather use Linux, while women prefer the Mac OS GUI ...

How many women do you personally know who are in-depth experts of the Linux shells ? And the command line in general ? And scripting ?

I do not know many. In fact, I don't know of a single one - personally.
At least none of the women I know from different foriums ever told me they were vivid users of Linux and the Linux shells/command lines.

Just for reference, this is your exact quote :
Men are tinkerers (Linux), women only want tools (Mac OS GUI).

But let's say, you meant what you said in the above post instead of quote. Then I'm still of the opinion that it is like that mostly because of the idea that women aren't as technical as men. If the idea will change then so will the numbers.

Like I said, it used to be that only men were doctors, look now, you'll see a lot of girls in med-school, maybe still not as many as guys, but a lot more than at the start. Women working in any way is quite a new phenomenon in the whole scheme of things with only several decades in the works. Give it another decade or two and things will change very fast.

It's like saying ten or twenty years years ago: "How many men do you know who take care of their babies like women do?" Look at it now, there are house-husbands now... Still not many, but things change, things change.

Alrik had said he was talking in generalities and not definite, all cases, no exceptions. fact.

I think most women will have seen multiple broken lawn mowers, whipper snippers, toasters, clock radios etc all put aside with the "I'll fix that later mentality". I think generally men do like to tinker, whereas a woman would say "it's a $50 toaster. It's 5 years old. Is the time to fix it (and parts) really worth it? I'll just throw it out and get a new one." Dhruin (for one) has a lot of computer bits, odds and ends and broken things in our garage. You never know when an obsolete processor from 1996 could be used to Maguyver his way out of trouble, and evidently he doesn't want to run the risk of saying to be "if a had the broken lawn mower, old EFTPOS receipts and a Pentium 100 chip I could get us out of these ropes (apparrently there was a home invasion and we were tied up but not gagged) and send an SOS to the police after using the bit of broken glass you said would never have any use, to burn through these ropes and set us free. I could then use all these broken cooling fans that you thought would never be useful to kill the bad guys holding us against our will by using them as ninja stars." Sounds a but like Signs... swing low/wide, whatever it was. Great movie until the last couple of minutes. Anyway, Dhruin obviously has seen into the future and keeps this junk... sorry keeps these important pieces to save our lives.

Umm... what's a "whipper snipper?"

A line trimmer I think is the other name for them. I am not mental. Google found them. I didn't just make up that name... maybe it's just an Australian thing.

Sorry for any confusion.

You're thinking of a Snapper brand weed whip, Kayla, and that has no bearing on you being mental. ;)

A whippersnapper is a word stodgy old people call misbehaving youngsters, or at least used to. Think 80 years, 80 pounds, and a total of 80 hairs on the head (all grey), shaking a fist at the kids that just cut across his lawn. I expect it figures prominently in Corwin's vocabulary.

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=whipper+snipper&btnG=Google+Search&meta=cr%3DcountryAU
No, not Snapper brand. A whipper snipper is what Aussies call a line trimmer. At least Google is my friend and knows hat I'm talking about. Line trimmer is a stupid name, and if any actually can operate a whipper snipper in a line I will eat my PJS's. Whipper snipper is a much better name than a line trimmer.

And about whipper snappers as well, I have been called a stupid young whipper snapper many times by customers.

Last edited:
A real living breathing ambulatory human being used the term whipper snapper??? Seriously? O_O That's language that was lame even back in the Juraisic when I was a kid.

Here in Okie land we call that piece of highly sophisticated machinery you mentioned a weed eater, after an old brand name of line trimmers--(kind of like scotch tape.) I think either one is better than line trimmer. Line trimmer sounds like a football position or something.

I know. Once was weird, multiple times by different people was bizarre.
Yet another way some people have been demeaning. I'm not young, and I am not a whipper snapper. I prefer when people call me a bitch because I am always amused they've said it like it's a bad thing.

Line trimmer makes me think of a bikini waxer for grid iron players. I know exactly where you are coming from magerette.

Ah, yes! The venerable 'weed-eater'! Okay, now I'm back on the same page here... ;) and I would also agree that 'line-trimmer' is a stupid name. I would also agree that women are often mistreated, and I personally can't stand cheuvanistic men. But also I feel that many women encourage that sort of behavior by their own behavior, what they allow, and the general fashion trend towards more and more provocative attire. I don't know if it is the idea of fame or what, but it seems to me that there are a lot of women out there that sacrafice their dignity in the name of boosting their careers or popularity. As long as they don't care, why would men want to change?

Yes, women have gotten pretty trashy---not like back in the Old Days! ;)

Too funny! :lol:

Hey, I'm still getting over the visual from Kayla's bikini-waxed linebackers remark.

But also I feel that many women encourage that sort of behavior by their own behavior, what they allow, and the general fashion trend towards more and more provocative attire. I don't know if it is the idea of fame or what, but it seems to me that there are a lot of women out there that sacrafice their dignity in the name of boosting their careers or popularity. As long as they don't care, why would men want to change?

I have a confession to make. I dress like a tramp, and I know I am lucky not to have been ravished by the mailman yet. I don't know who could resist this:
http://www.bnt.com.au/products/Short_Stories_Sleepwear/view/3029/Cool_Cow_flannelette_PJ/
As Paris Hilton would say (before getting drunk and falling into a fish pond without wearing underwear) That's hot. I have the matching shoes and socks to make this a complete ensemble.

Men sacrifice their dignity every day. Donald Trumps hair, the oodles of 60-80 year old men driving penises... sorry sports cars with a 20 something giggling and going "Hugh, you are the smartest person I know. You are such a stud" and then Hugh thinking "5 minutes to get home, 10 minutes for the blue pill to work, oh yeah!", and of course let's not forget men trying to sound important and like they know what is going on when they are clueless.

@magerette. I have Glen Campbells Wichita Lineman in my head now, but the "still on the li-li-li-li-line" bit gets really loud and high pitched. I know it's not foootball, but I found it very funny in my own head. Don't say it, I know, I'm an idiot, I've already been told today.

"More than 50 years ago she was dubbed the "Girl with the Fabulous Front," and at 80 years old, Tempest Storm still performs burlesque in Las Vegas" and is now known as the Girl with the Fabulous Front, draped to the floor like a crocodile skin curtain.

@Jabberwocky. Weed wacker. I also know the term weed wacker. I think that's nearly as awesome as whipper snipper... almost, but it has a ways to go.

Last edited:
Those things that work like some sort of miniature lawnmovers but are only used for cutting grass edges and such ?

I don't remember them arriving earlier than in the 90s here ... And the only term I know is simply the "(grass) trimmer".

I don't like these things much. I'd cut the edges with a simple grass-scissor.

@Alrik Admit it, if you know them as a whipper snipper or weed wacker you would get one. It makes gardening sound like it's part of the WWF.

Back
Top Bottom