Windows 11

Also, what's the best ad/pop-up blocker now? I had a good one installed on my last system, but I can't remember the name of it. I'm using Chrome.
I'm using AdBlock, it works very well:

Thanks. I just finished installing it.

I was confused for a moment when I looked it up because there's AdBlock and Adblock Plus, but they're separate extensions from different developers. They seem to be about equal from what I could see. I went with the one you suggested.

What's up with needing to be signed into my Microsoft account all the time? Is there a way around that?
I've had Win11 ever since I got my new PC. I don't remember the specifics, but I've got a local admin account. Not an MS account. I do remember that they hid it pretty well, so it might take some fiddling.
I also think it's only for the Pro version of Win11? Is that what you have?
And I remember some article saying that they intend on removing local admin accounts with some update in the future? I don't know.

I'm fine with Win11. Works pretty smooth for me. No issues, aside from small inconveniences.
The only noticeable annoyance was that they hid the old right-click menu behind another click.

Regarding ad-block, I've done away with using it as a separate extension. And just switched to using Brave browser for anything youtube. Way better exp, for me at least.
So I use firefox for general use, and brave for videos.
My main reason is I just don't like the idea of allowing third party software access to all of my browser window contents.

Brave looks like an interesting alternative but what bugs me is their BAT reward system. And it's based on blockchain tokens.

I wasn't really convinced when I tried it one year ago. The video wasn't smooth at all and was using much more CPU than Chrome, for some reason; perhaps it has improved. It was also very insistent on using this reward system so I quickly ditched it and kept using Chrome.

Just started using Win 11 on my new rig. Any tips on what the latest must-have tweaks are? I can't say I like it very much so far, but maybe it just takes getting used to? What's up with needing to be signed into my Microsoft account all the time? Is there a way around that?

Also, what's the best ad/pop-up blocker now? I had a good one installed on my last system, but I can't remember the name of it. I'm using Chrome.
I use StartAllBack to get the taskbar/start menu back to a sane state. There's other options out there. Or maybe you don't even care about that.

I think you need the Pro version of Win11 to avoid being required to use a Microsoft account, although I guess there are workarounds out there - never looked into it since I don't ever use the Home version.

Best adblocker today is uBlock Origin.

Brave looks like an interesting alternative but what bugs me is their BAT reward system. And it's based on blockchain tokens.

I wasn't really convinced when I tried it one year ago. The video wasn't smooth at all and was using much more CPU than Chrome, for some reason; perhaps it has improved. It was also very insistent on using this reward system so I quickly ditched it and kept using Chrome.
Yeah, I'm completely ignoring its reward system and everything else.
Now that you mention it, I think Brave does indeed put a bit more strain onto the CPU. But I'm not even sure if I've actually noticed Brave doing that, or if it was something else.
I usually have brave playing videos while I play Diablo 4, and it was a pretty smooth experience.
I think I noticed firefox taking more of a load if I have like dozens and dozens of tabs open. But I don't know. I didn't really keep tabs on it too closely to make a definitive statement.

Yeah, I'm completely ignoring its reward system and everything else.
Now that you mention it, I think Brave does indeed put a bit more strain onto the CPU. But I'm not even sure if I've actually noticed Brave doing that, or if it was something else.
I usually have brave playing videos while I play Diablo 4, and it was a pretty smooth experience.
I think I noticed firefox taking more of a load if I have like dozens and dozens of tabs open. But I don't know. I didn't really keep tabs on it too closely to make a definitive statement.
Brave uses the Blink browser engine - the same as Chrome and most other browsers except Firefox. It's known to be slightly more performant, so maybe that's why we didn't have the same comparative experience. I think Firefox is better than Chrome or Chromium for privacy, on the other hand.

I think you need the Pro version of Win11 to avoid being required to use a Microsoft account, although I guess there are workarounds out there - never looked into it since I don't ever use the Home version.
I have the Pro version. I guess I'll just jump through the hoops when I have time.

StartAllBack looks pretty good, and I see it's only $5. I'm gonna try it.

*Edit* Crap...it looks like you have to set up a local account during the installation process to avoid having to use your Microsoft account.

Last edited:
I have the Pro version. I guess I'll just jump through the hoops when I have time.

*Edit* Crap...it looks like you have to set up a local account during the installation process to avoid having to use your Microsoft account.
Pro version lets you create regular login accounts no issue. At installation time, you have to select a few obscure options to make it happen, though (I take the route "Set up for work or school" -> "Sign-in options" -> "Domain join instead").

Post-installation, I'm pretty sure you can just run the local users/groups management tool (lusrmgmt.msc) and create one for yourself. Be sure to add it to the local Administrators group too.

It does take some getting used to, yet now I'd never go back to windows seven, simply because of the inherent speed factor alone. Just make sure you opt of any offerings/lures for your emails, phone numbers, etc. As for ad disruption, I use the basic ad blocker, seems to handle everything though I really only visit three sites on a daily basis.

Post-installation, I'm pretty sure you can just run the local users/groups management tool (lusrmgmt.msc) and create one for yourself. Be sure to add it to the local Administrators group too.
I found it. It's actually really simple.

*Edit* Not sure if it's worth it at this point. I see I'll have to reinstall almost everything I've installed so far in the new account. They don't even share video drivers, wtf?

Last edited:
Logging into your MS account every time isn't that big a hassle once you enable using a PIN (4-digit code).
I've had a mixture of local and MS account users in the past, and I've had no issues re: video drivers and all that. Anything universal was still universal.

There's only one PC left in this household that is still Windows 10, and that's because it's an MBR installation and I haven't gotten around to converting the drive to GPT (which Win 11 requires).

Re: adblockers.
I used to use Adblock, but @Couchpotato put me onto uBlock Origin, and it's the bee's knees.

Logging into your MS account every time isn't that big a hassle once you enable using a PIN (4-digit code).
It's not a hassle, I'm just not keen on being logged into Microsoft 24/7. It makes me feel like I'm even more exposed to them than I already am. That might just be in my head though. :)

I've had a mixture of local and MS account users in the past, and I've had no issues re: video drivers and all that. Anything universal was still universal.
For some reason, it wasn't showing the AMD Adrenalin control panel when I right-clicked my desktop at first. It's showing it now though.

I see some apps/software aren't shared though.

It's not a hassle, I'm just not keen on being logged into Microsoft 24/7. It makes me feel like I'm even more exposed to them than I already am. That might just be in my head though. :)
Ah, right. Fair enough, I can understand that. It's part of why I spend a lot of my time in Linux on my own PC and laptop, pay for a VPN, and have switched back to Firefox + extensions.

However, I still use Windows for work reasons (and for games that are not Proton/Wine friendly), and work requires certain paid-for online Microsoft services. And the kids have MS store games n stuff on their PCs.

If I decide to stick with the offline account and don't plan on using the other account again, would deleting the first account have any negative effects? Or do you think I'm better off just leaving it there?

Shouldn't be any problem deleting it, just make sure you made your new account an administrator...

Yea I have pro but I use it at work so was familiar with this. I dislike how MS wants an account for everything. At work I have to use it for all security - not just Office 365 but because we use MS integrated SSO for non-MS stuff as well. So when I got my new home PC and had to setup I refused to have a MS account. I have a local admin account. But I set that up right at the start.

They really push the MS account on the users.

You don't need to pay for startisback. Most options can be edited in the registry if you just Google it.

I put my right click back to normal and the start menu to the left.

Same. I am not a hater of win11 but there a bunch of things I didn't care for. Usually you can find solutions. I got it mostly setup the way I liked it with win10, which is still my fav of all the windows versions I have used, which has been all of them.

Back
Top Bottom