Windows 7- lineup revealed. Microsoft up to their old tricks again.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor
Interesting article I came across here regarding Windows 7.

Remember how Microsoft claimed they were only going to release 2 versions of Windows 7, in an attempt to "streamline" the product?

But Microsoft blows it again with two more SKUs, again offering an Enterprise and Ultimate version of Windows 7, both containing features that ought to be included off the shelf in Windows 7 Professional. That means nickel-and-diming buyers once again in order to get the BitLocker encryption system.

Things seemed to work pretty well with XP's two versions -- and the Mac folks get along fine with just one. But in an attempt to wring every last dollar out of every last customer, Microsoft again sticks us with a complicated version nightmare that no one's going to like.

Is anyone surprised by this? I'm certainly not.

Last edited:
The only reason I ever upgrade my OS is when PC game makers force me too. Like when Win95 first came out the first game that was Win95 exclusive was Pitfall. My first though was how am I going to afford Win95 and I wonder if all the games coming out are going to be only for Win95. After that I had about a year more before every game being published was win95 exclusive.

So I'll just wait till I see the first Win7 exclusive games then wait another year;)

Still too many version to me.

Paul Thurrott said Microsoft and its partners will focus on selling two version Windows 7: Home Premium and Professional editions. The Ultimate and Starter will be niche products to address "low-volume but important markets." However that sound more like offering a crippled OS (starter), and Ultimate version for anyone who likes expensive thing in the name of "high-end" stuff.

Last edited:
I do agree with the confusion factor - and that the Mac gets on just fine with a single version. But did XP really only have 2? I thought there was Standard, Home, Pro, and Media Center?

The one extra SKU I'd hoped for was a 'netbook edition'. Something to hold down costs, size and memory footprint. Especially since everything says it will be an excellent OS for netbooks in the coming year.

I do agree with the confusion factor - and that the Mac gets on just fine with a single version. But did XP really only have 2? I thought there was Standard, Home, Pro, and Media Center?

The one extra SKU I'd hoped for was a 'netbook edition'. Something to hold down costs, size and memory footprint. Especially since everything says it will be an excellent OS for netbooks in the coming year.
XP had:
Pro, Pro N, Pro K, Pro KN, Home, Home N, Home K, Home KN, Starter, Media Centre, Tablet PC, 64-bit (IA64) & 64-bit Pro (x86-64).

I thought OS X is entirely different.

XP had:
Pro, Pro N, Pro K, Pro KN, Home, Home N, Home K, Home KN, Starter, Media Centre, Tablet PC, 64-bit (IA64) & 64-bit Pro (x86-64).

Those are not all completely different versions. The ones with "K" after them simply designate copies that were distributed to Korea. It had something to do with the Korean Fair Trade Commission (KFTC) making a stink over something.

Summary:
- Homeless edition (Starter)
- Low pay edition (Home Basic)
- Computer illiterate edition (Home Premium)
- "Buy yourself out of computer illiteracy" edition (Professional)
- "One copy per laptop" edition (Enterprise)
- "I'll buy anything" edition (Ultimate)

I doubt people will see more than 3 editions of windows 7 on the shelves.
  • Home Premium
  • Professional
  • Ultimate

Anyway.Why would anyone buy Ultimate since they even removed the Extras.Not that they were a killer feature but DreamScene had quite a big community.

I dunno ... for Vista at a local shop they had loads of versions, and people constantly asking 'what is the difference' and sales people stumbling to explain ...

I've got this from here.
  • Windows 7 Starter: Something that our OEM partners asked for is to have an offering for folks that will do very limited things with their PCs and for PCs with limited hardware capabilities. Windows 7 Starter only allows up to 3 applications to run at once. This is something that will be offered only through OEM partners.
  • Windows 7 Home Basic: Another offering that our OEMs asked for was a basic offering on Value PCs in emerging markets. This is something that will also only be available through OEM partners.
  • Windows 7 Enterprise: An offering asked for by our best and largest enterprise customers which has all the advanced security and manageability capabilities which also includes BitLocker data protection. This is something available only through Volume License agreements.

Let's not forget all those versions will have a 32 and a 64 bit versions.

what they still didn't get rid of 32 bit for windows 7?? for vista is was understandalbe since many still had 32 bit system and a lot of 32 bit programs do not run well on 64 bit... but for windows 7,, is it really necesarry ?? I thought it was a thing of the past!

what they still didn't get rid of 32 bit for windows 7?? for vista is was understandalbe since many still had 32 bit system and a lot of 32 bit programs do not run well on 64 bit... but for windows 7,, is it really necesarry ?? I thought it was a thing of the past!
(embarrassed)Pentium 4 here:p

Sadly, there are still processors made that are 32 bit (Intel Atom I think), so they had to. The best solution would be to have some sort of 'emulator' or 'translator' from 64 to 32, but guess that would create major compatibility issues.

The Windows 7 disk will contains both 32 and 64 bit version i think, so we could reinstalled later if we want 64 or 32 bit OS...

The Windows 7 disk will contains both 32 and 64 bit version i think, so we could reinstalled later if we want 64 or 32 bit OS...

I SERIOUSLY doubt that. Microsoft doesn't make the habit of including something for free that they could otherwise charge for.

Back
Top Bottom