Windows 7 vs 10

LOL I like proper tablets. Powerful tablets with a cheap price, not junk that costs over $1K.
Now if that tablet can run win10 and Drakensang too, I have nothing against buying it.
Like this one (saw it for only $300 when on sale):
http://techtablets.com/cube-i7-stylus/review/

I'm actually really digging Windows 10 right now. Other than a few more bugs (photos not opening, etc.), it's really, really streamlined, efficient and just works.

By efficient I mean yes, it is noticeably faster. Videos start quicker, programs open faster and things are generally a bit more zippy overall, and I didn't even do a clean install. I plan on keeping it as-is right now since it's working beautifully.

The Windows software for music, movies, etc. is really slick and gives you the right options that make sense. I'm really enjoying using them.

The App Store is working again and I have a nifty Twitter app pinned to my task bar and start bar. Just a little convenience feature that lets us customize Windows to our liking, which is nice. And there is plenty to customize here, including the tiles in the start menu.

Really glad I upgraded thus far. This is a really nice operating system and I'm thrilled that coming from Windows 7 wasn't a complete disaster. Pleasantly surprised right now. Sweet. =)

Seems Microsoft should have renamed Win10 into Big Brother.
Edge option that is turned on by default:

windows-10-project-spartan-monitor-keystrikes-keyloggin.png

I switched to win10 but am still using Firefox (bookmarks reason).
Edge is superfast definetly, but doesn't support addons, and the community wants adblock or ublock so majority still sticks to their old browsers.

Bye Bye 8

Current Steam Survey (http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey) shows Windows 10 moving up fast but not as fast as I expected. Windows 8.1 is now well behind 10 but I expected even more so that 10 would be tied with or even bigger than 7 by now.

Current Steam Survey (http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey) shows Windows 10 moving up fast but not as fast as I expected. Windows 8.1 is now well behind 10 but I expected even more so that 10 would be tied with or even bigger than 7 by now.

Win 10 numbers on Steam will probably accelerate quite a bit as soon as the first popular DirectX 12 games are released.

Right now there is zero reason to make the switch, especially for people on a stable and perfectly working Windows 7 install like myself.

I'm absolutely not looking forward to upgrading my gaming PC (my laptop has already gotten the free upgrade treatment) but it will be all but inevitable in the end *sigh*.

This is actually the first time I'm really annoyed about a new Windows and the fact that MS is not doing DirectX 12 for Win 7 because other than DirectX it's a de facto downgrade in usability from 7 to 10.

The upgrade spam is annoying as hell, too. It's almost like they want you to install some piece of adware. Nah. I'll hang on to 7 for a few months more just to annoy them and help keep the install numbers down... :devilish:

I tried to do the upgrade a few weeks ago but got some error. Googled it and should have a fix but I'm just not interested enough in 10 to bother with it right now. Good chance I'll upgrade before the free part is over tho. I do like my 7.

On my Alienware I have found Windows 10 a bit better performing in games, but definitely less stable, with several lockups since the update (compared to xero before). I don't mind too much, but still wouldn't want to use it as my 'daily driver'. Their move to integrate phone/tablet/desktop OS all in one means it pretty much sucks at all three.

Windows 7 : You own it, at least in some countries (different copyrights).

Windows 10 : You are merely connected to a service called "Operating System".

Question:
I have a not yet activated Windows 7 Ultimate (demo) on my PC. The 30 days are running out. I don't need Ultimate. Can I enter the serial from my Win 7 Pro to make this a Win 7 Pro or do I have to reinstall?

Nice, I got that error trying to update my laptop from Win 7 to 10 and now I cannot get updates for Win 7. Unknown Error which is very informative. I'm not even gonna bother with it now. I'm just tired of Microsoft at the moment.

Question:
I have a not yet activated Windows 7 Ultimate (demo) on my PC. The 30 days are running out. I don't need Ultimate. Can I enter the serial from my Win 7 Pro to make this a Win 7 Pro or do I have to reinstall?
No. Reinstall.
Nice, I got that error trying to update my laptop from Win 7 to 10 and now I cannot get updates for Win 7. Unknown Error which is very informative. I'm not even gonna bother with it now. I'm just tired of Microsoft at the moment.
You do not need any win7 (or win8) updates while upgrading to win10.
Sure, it says that current sys updates are recommended, but just tick off that option and proceed with the upgrade.

Yeah, I can't take it seriously as an OS anymore. I use it for my gaming system only, and isolated it on my lan.

Question:

To answer my own question:
Downgrading is possible and it's not that complicated. The abridged version:
1) Find a Win7 DVD
2) Regedit two keys to set the current Win7 version to match the DVD. Google for precise infos!
3) Manually load the setup from the DVD. Do not boot from DVD!
4) Update to the new version.
5) The process takes twice as much time as a new install, but requires no user interaction at all.
6) Go have lunch for an hour.
7) Enter serial, etc.

All drivers and programs were intact after the downgrade. The system runs fine. All I had to fix was running a MS tool to repair WindowsUpdate and use some shareware to get rid of all the junk collected during the upgrade. It turned out the original install medium was based on a UK DVD. The silent country change killed the auto-update.

Microsofts OS' are becoming more corrupt but they might have a future in stand-up comedy...

Speaking to Windows Weekly, Microsoft Marketing chief Chris Capossela explained that users who choose Windows 7 do so “at your own risk, at your own peril” and he revealed Microsoft has concerns about its future software and hardware compatibility, security and more.

“We do worry when people are running an operating system that’s 10 years old that the next printer they buy isn’t going to work well, or they buy a new game, they buy Fallout 4, a very popular game, and it doesn’t work on a bunch of older machines,” Capossela stated. “And so, as we are pushing our ISV [Independent Software Vendor] and hardware partners to build great new stuff that takes advantage of Windows 10 that obviously makes the old stuff really bad and not to mention viruses and security problems.”

He also stressed it is “so incredibly important to try to end the fragmentation of the Windows install base” and to get users to a “safer place”.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2016/01/02/microsoft-windows-7-problems/

Current OS standings (according to Steam):
Win 7 64-bit: 34.81%
Win 10 64-bit: 31.25%
Win 8.1 64-bit: 15.09%

Rats, I thought Win10 would have the lead by now. I wasn't too far off, though!

P.S. ALL versions of Linux put together: 0.96%

They thought people will willingly step on the turd by putting telemetry and spy-o-rama on by default.
And those numbers are better than I expected, probably thanks to 3rd party utils that disable sniffing data from users.

But even with NSA copycat strategy of spying on everyone and their mother, win10 is still better than win8 which is a phone OS slightly better than ancient iOS version on iPhone 3. Just slightly.

Back
Top Bottom