Wizardry 8 Advice

Ah yes, another customer... Pull up a chair!

L o L - L o L

good one Dodd!

In these threads I always get depressed that there will be no WIZ 9 :( :( :(

You really don't want a Wiz 9. Look at U9 and M&M 9 to see why!! The story arc finished with 8, so let's leave the series there and move on. I love the game and the series, but I'm pleased my final memory is 8. Ultima and M&M were lessened in my memory by their ninth iteration!!

Well, maybe WIZ 9 could break this curse? The problem is there is really nothing like wiz out there, nothing for the people who LOVE this kind of games to do except replying 8 over and over again..... there are at least a few games fairly simular to Ultima out there, even if none of them are as good! and M&M was a lot of fun, but it cannot compare to the character creation, and complexity of wiz 8.

hmm maybe I should rephrase??? I am sad that I will most likely never see a game of the same type as Wiz 8 again no matter what name it has!

I think I'm gonna start with one of the older wizardry games sometime.
Possibly the 6th one. I don't like the idea of starting a game series with
the latest episode.

I can get past horribly dated graphics and clunky interfaces so those should not be a problem. Perhaps I'll eventually find my way to the 8th one too :D

The sixth one, Bane of the Cosmic Forge, might be the way to go for me.

edit: the screenshot i linked not working anymore

Last edited:
L o L - L o L

In these threads I always get depressed that there will be no WIZ 9 :( :( :(

I am doing my best. If you play Wiz 8 with my mod you will find the gaming experiece womewhat altered because of my extended storyline, generated traders and much tougher battles.
My next version takes all of this even further. It is not really like a Wizardry 9 with so much still being familiar but give it a try.

Also deathstalker 3.0 mod which quite drastically changes you gaming experience but in a different way from me. In his mod it very tugh early on.

Flamstrykes 1.1 mod includes new monsters with new skins. In fact it was she who taught me how to re-skin monsters.

Here is a screenshot of what is possible with re-skinning Here is a new Ninja for you all:

http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/6035/ninjalh9.jpg

There are also some models with the data files that sirtech never used which i have brought in.
There is a new bandit which for some reason has an etraordinary high hit rate even if you are level 40 you can get pulverized.
An unused Ratkin model is very smilar

Here are screenshots of 2 sirtech unused Higardi bandit models. Re-skinned of course:

http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/5207/newbandit2mi0.jpg

http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/6461/newbandit1ij8.jpg

Tell me you have seen those guys before.

btw. those 3 screenshots are from my current version 1.2 which i gave you the links for at the start of this thread.

Interesting and you're definitely right--never seen anything like those shots before. about this, though:
and much tougher battles.

You're joking, right? I've been trying to kill Nessie for about a month now. ;)

Well, maybe WIZ 9 could break this curse?

Last I'd heard, the remainder of the Wizardry license was fire-sold off to a Japanese entity after the demise of Sir-Tech, so the only new Wizardries that are ever likely to see the light of day are the Japanese variants. Not all fans of Wizardry are fans of jPRGs.

I hate to say it, but Grimoire is very similar to the Wizardry series, since Cleve worked for Sir-Tech.

Last I'd heard, the remainder of the Wizardry license was fire-sold off to a Japanese entity after the demise of Sir-Tech, so the only new Wizardries that are ever likely to see the light of day are the Japanese variants. Not all fans of Wizardry are fans of jPRGs.
Not so. A Japanese company was licensed to make a console action game in the Wizardry universe. That was a one-off deal. Strategy First bought the Jagged Alliance franchise, but last I heard, the Wizardry franchise still belonged to Sir-Tech Canada (which still legally exists in Canada even though the company is functionally dead).

Hey everyone. Another feature of the edior i just found out about is the ability to increase the view distance of any or every location.
I just tried it in the Northern Wilderness. I increased from 110 to 3000 and it's like walking around in open countryside. Feels completely different.
Not sure that i would want to increase it by that much for the actual release of the mod, but at least it works.
I will get exact distance that i should use from feedback during the beta testing phase.

About those tougher battles. The mod was designed to create uniform tougher battles that begin at the point where the game starts to get easy at between levels 18-25.
So my really tough generated monsters will not be encountered until you are around levels 15-20.
There are some tough guardians from the outset though that will require you to develop your party.
There is literally millions of xp up for grabs all over Dominus later in the game, but you will really have to earn it.

To be honest i think this mod would only appeal to those who have played the game severel times over until it was very easy to conquer.
If you are a novice to Wizardry 8 you are going to be doing a heck of a lot of re-loading.

Hey magerette. What level are you at in trying to kill Nessie ?

Last edited:
DtS wrote:
Hey magerette. What level are you at in trying to kill Nessie ?

Had to load up the game and check--Valkyrie/Ranger/Bard, 16, Bishop,Mage 14, Fighter 23--but he's using a cursed sword atm so only good close-up, which is suicide--I need to uncurse him and give him a crossbow or something I guess.

Yes that party apart from your fighter would struggle unless you are the kind of player who does a lot of skill training.
Some do and some don't. It can be very repetitive and boring. especially for a bishop, and with a full party.
These days inever play with more than a 3 man party, but usually just 2.
Then i use npc's until those 2 are strong enough to go it alone.

By skill training I think you mean using certain skills over and over to level them up? In which case, no--I play it like walking down the road, for fun. :) I do have some of the expert skills you get when you pass 100 in your major stat, f'rinstance my mage has Power Cast.

I haven't found any of the new areas easy, let alone too easy, so I'm probably not ready for your mod. For me the level of combat is challenging, and the amount of combat pretty high. I don't know that I couldn't make it with a smaller core party, but I find developing all the different characters to be where the fun lies, and there are so few party-based games anymore that I would be reluctant to cut them out and just go with one or two.

AFA your mod, I think I'll wait til I've beat the game at least once and am a jaded re-player like dte. ;)

RPCs? Evil Dodd! Naughty Dodd! Thou shalt not use RPCs beyond the bare minimum required for quest completion. They are XP-leeching sponges and must be shunned. So sayeth Phoonzang.

I don't, in general, do user mods, but I might give this one a spin (even though Dodd's a heretic).

This mod has only two joiner npc's that need to be recruited for a short time to complete a quest.
Other than that they are quest givers or traders only.

magerette. My mod was designed for the Heretic spoiler board community who made the game easy for themselves through training.
As such it is designed to give maxed out parties a challenge.
For those who do not train this would be like a kind of Ironman game, so if you do give it a try i would suggest the Normal version to begin with.

Both versions though are the toughest mods out there.

Last edited:
To be honest i think this mod would only appeal to those who have played the game severel times over until it was very easy to conquer.
If you are a novice to Wizardry 8 you are going to be doing a heck of a lot of re-loading.
Wizardry 8 is one of those games where I never even finished the demo (I never played any of the other parts, either). I still have the game lying around somewhere. I'm not a fan of one difficult fight after the other, even on easy. This would have to be an absolutely superb story for me to ever try this game again. What is the ratio of fights to story? Do you think it's worth it for someone who plays RPGs more like adventures?

Unfortunately, no. The game has more combat per linear metre than any other since Wiz 7!! But isn't that what the Wiz series is all about!! :)

Back
Top Bottom