Wizards and Warriors

I bought it used (got a strategy guide with it!) just before Dungeon Lords (so I guess 2004?) and was able to get it to work on WinXP on ONE laptop. When I dumped that laptop a year or so later, then tried again to get it working … no luck.

I have an old Toshiba that originally came with Win98 I have been planning to reformat and play around with … this is one of the games I wanted to re-install.

Everything about the game is definitely 'funky' - it has a bunch of old and new style things smashed together, so I can see the origins of Dungeon Lords and also the old Wizardry stuff at play. Pretty much a mess when I played it … :D
don't know if you got this but iirc there was some video files that needed yo be converted for it to work. they apparently were used for the menus as ell, so it was totally borked until you did the conversion, which might be what the mentioned ironworks patch did. i seem to recall some other bugs, but it's been so long that it's hazy beyond the vid conversion, which was a pita to find the correct utils etc.

typing in tablet mode so shortish

Is this "available" anywhere? And has anyone tried to get it to work in Win 10?

You can buy it used on Amazon. I was never able to get it to work on anything after win xp.

I finished Wizards & Warriors back when I was posting on Ironworks; which had a reasonably active forum on the game at the time. The kind folk there helped me sort out a couple of minor problems on the way and even inspired me to write some cheesy fan fiction whilst I was doing the class Ascension quests. :) Fun times.

I think HiddenX expressed it well - the dungeons are indeed excellent, though the combat is limited and not so difficult. Character building is fun and generally rewarding.
I reinstalled it a couple of years ago to obtain the soundtrack which I've subsequently used for exploration music in Spiderweb games.

Yep. I was on Ironworks back then as well . I made a post about my W&W experience there.

Essentially, I got the game when it came out and tried it for a while but gave up because of the bugs. I tried it again years later -- I think in 2003 or 2004. I remember there was a string of games I "caught up on" while waiting for the Gothic 2 USA release. This was one of them.

Anyway, I applied all the patches that had come out since the original release and really enjoyed my 2nd go at it. As many have said, the main selling point is the fantastic dungeons and the different ways you can advance your characters. I recall being especially proud when my female fighter ascended to become a Valkyrie. This is definitely a game for hardcore CRPG players.

I really loved this game....wish they would revisit it....kickstart!

I really enjoyed Wizards and Warriors too. I know that I got it running on Win7 a couple years ago and I remember I got to a point where the game crashed and I couldn't continue. I was fairly deep in the game at the time too.

I tried playing this back in the day and even got it to work. I just never got into it.

I'm surprised this is not on GOG yet.

I really enjoyed what I played of the game. I thought the voice acting near the beginning was great, and the first few dungeons I made it through were very well done. If I recall correctly, the combat was a bit on the easy side once you switched to turn-based, but still enough of a challenge that it wasnt boring. The dungeons had a few puzzles that were a bit of a challenge also.

I believe I made it to near the end of the Serpents Temple before I stopped playing, due to not being in the mood to have to min/max and switch classes all of the time. Its been awhile so I dont know if the class switches are totally necessary, but being in the same class as Wizardry 6 and 7, I figured it was at some point. I dont remember running into any game breaking bugs up to that point, but I do remember being frustrated by some frogs that were blocking the passageways of their "city", or something to that effect. All in all it was a fun game from what I did play.

As stated above, the Ironworks forums were the place to go for info on the game
Wizards & Warriors Archives

Yep. I was on Ironworks back then as well . I made a post about my W&W experience there.
Your nick does sound familiar actually (if it's the same you used back then..I used CerebroDragon…) Ahh those were the days indeed. ;)

Wyvern, Bsftcs, Bungleau, a lot of nice people made visiting that particular side of the internet very welcome and as Nukester reinforces, it remains a great resource for information on the game.

Last edited:
OK ... I got an old Dell XPS running WinXP again, now to pull out my old disks again for this and see about getting it running!

Just to follow up - got it installed - and it runs! I was surprised, didn't have to do anything special ... it just worked. Now to find the time to play ... ;)

Just to follow up - got it installed - and it runs! I was surprised, didn't have to do anything special … it just worked. Now to find the time to play … ;)
From the last time I did it on WinXP, you'll have to reprocess the video files/masks, or else the town hubs will not work 100% properly.

Yes was thinking about reformatting an old computer with 98 to play this
Is it even possible? I thought it is probably impossible to find drivers for the video card.

I bought this game back in the day (still have the original box, manual, and discs in my garage) but I never could get it to run. It kept giving me a blue screen of death. I never came back to it to try it later on subsequent versions of windows and PC hardware.

I got lucky and reformated an old computer with xp. Activation even worked and drivers were available plus service pack 3. I thought support was abandoned for xp?
Now Mike, if you got it to work with xp,please tell us how.

Can I legally download this game now? If yes, anyone know where?

I have WinXp Virtual Machine so might give it a go.

Back
Top Bottom