XCOM 2 - Review Roundup

Was planning on holding off till it got cheaper, but broke down after seeing some reviews. Was worth every penny to me. I had 1 crash, during the load for the final battle, but otherwise nothing. Load times tend to be a bit slow, and I saw the occasional stutter and lag, but it wasn't anything major for me.

It is harder than the last game though. All the new enemies and abilities take some getting used to. Some of the mission timers can just be outright annoying, but there's already several mods to tweak that to your preference.

It's currently 8.9/10 on metacritic:
http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/xcom-2

So all of you who are playing it… Is it really 9 material? Almost perfect? Nearmasterpiece? Mustplay before die?

Joxer, I think you really should give XCOM 2 a chance. If you don't wanna do this right now, wait a little more, wait for some patches, some mods, then you play it.
Does it deserve a 9 ? I think so. Must play before die ? Hell, no. You surely have better things to do before dying :D

I know you've been criticizing this game (and I do respect your opinion here, I don't mean to criticize you for having this opinion), but XCOM 2 is a 'DLC fest' as much as any other current AAA game is. So give it a break, go catch some air, smoke a cigarette (or six), then go play the game.

I know you've been criticizing this game
I don't remember ever criticizing that game.
How could I, I didn't buy it and have absolutely no idea what's it about.
I criticized the business model. Which is not present only in this game.

Anyway, while my questions might sound as criticizing, actually are not.
I'm just asking about the game itself with explanation what 9 means to me.
As an example, a while ago I've put 9/10 on Valkyria Chronicles as it's IMO nearmasterpiece that everyone has to play before dying. So is Xcom2 on the same level with VC? Not perfect, but almost?

I don't remember ever criticizing that game.
How could I, I didn't buy it and have absolutely no idea what's it about.

Then I must have misread your words. Please accept my apologies.

I'm just asking about the game itself with explanation what 9 means to me.
As an example, a while ago I've put 9/10 on Valkyria Chronicles as it's IMO nearmasterpiece that everyone has to play before dying. So is Xcom2 on the same level with VC? Not perfect, but almost?

I didn't play Valkyria Chronicles, but I'd give XCOM 2 a 9/10.

Valkyria Chronicles is nowhere near a 9/10. joxer just has weird taste. ;)

Would you guys rate XCOM 2 higher than the first game + expansion?

Valkyria Chronicles is nowhere near a 9/10. joxer just has weird taste. ;)
Yea yea and Dishonored is not 10/10...
Sorry but it is.

I would rate Xcom two higher than the first. On most of the missions, and especially those that had timed moves involved, there was an immense feeling of accomplishment when you won it. Better scores for missions also gave you random bonuses from the council guy, or at least they seemed random to me, like extra intel or supplies, or a new scientist/engineer. Most of the troops that I lost happened during the first ten or so missions, after that I took longer and just planned it out better because losing anyone ranked sarge or higher really really hurts.

I think waiting for at least a patched version is a good idea unless you got nothing else to play right now. Also if you plan to only play it once, waiting for few patches is recommended.

I think it's better than the first + expansion, though I am a bit disappointed that some of the stuff added in EU didn't make it into XCOM 2. The wider variety of aliens is nice. The timers add a greater degree of urgency to some missions, pushing you to take some risks you aren't always completely comfortable with.

Appreciate all the feedback, folks. Keep up the good work.

Back
Top Bottom