Your profession ?

Professional assassin. But, I will require firm evidence that my targets are absolute arseholes.
I thought you of all should be able to smell that?

pibbur who thinks he's semi-professional ... something

At night time bouncer, medicine student during the day. Still figuring out what area to specialize( not as bouncer though :p).
I have to work at something demanding attention, that keeps you on your feet, would go mad from something like office work.

Traumatology comes to mind.

pibbur who partly liked radiology

Dunno if I replied before, but I am (still) a full-time project manager. With full-time I mean that I don't do anything else than that. My SW developing and architecture days are over. Almost all of my projects are software based, with an occasional combination with a physical device (either bought or self made). The SW part of the projects are always executed in an agile fashion, either Scrum or Kanban. The projects are mostly in the late development stage, meaning there is not much room for exploration and stuff like that, it is focused on getting a product on the market on time. That includes dealing with Quality Management Systems, regulatory requirements, proper project documentation and improving the overall quality of the product to be released over time. That is what I do well, I don't do to good in managing projects in the exploratory phase or early prototype phase. These type of projects require a different type of project manager than me and quite regularly also different SW developers (but not always). Not everybody is good in all phases of development. I learned to know my limits in that aspect a few years ago.
I moved to the Senior Project Managers group of my company, which probably means I am getting old and am considered a senior :)
It actually results in being able to get better projects and that it is far easier to evolve myself as a project manager. Not that there is a financial improvement with that evolvement. I hit my financial ceiling years ago.

Ask for a raise :)
Or move to a new company ?

Ready to deploy exploding golf clubs?

I'm waiting to see how big the bounty pot gets. I'm thinking there's still a ways to go.

@Pladio: Why? At a certain point in your life the work you do is more important than securing a job with the better payment. That said, I've compared salaries at other companies and they are roughly the same or quite often less. The type of work they would offer would need to be a lot more interesting than what I am doing now to motivate me to move there.

@Pladio: Why? At a certain point in your life the work you do is more important than securing a job with the better payment. That said, I've compared salaries at other companies and they are roughly the same or quite often less. The type of work they would offer would need to be a lot more interesting than what I am doing now to motivate me to move there.

Yes, but it is a combination of everything:

- Work/Life Balance
- Interest/Passion
- and Compensation

I went to the highest bidder years ago and sold my IT soul to big oil :) It pays great but you have to deal with corporate BS all the time. It's definitely a trade-off.

Stop whining. I mean, noone here is workin' for EA or Ubi, right?

Programmer, full stack. Started out primarily working on back-ends in various financial institutions, but some time ago I swapped to the sports industry, where I'm currently the lead developer of a website (FotMob).

Programmer, full stack. Started out primarily working on back-ends in various financial institutions, but some time ago I swapped to the sports industry, where I'm currently the lead developer of a website (FotMob).

Looks nice :)

Hope you enjoy it.

Not sure I even said anything on this thread...I'm an academic, computer science. Been at it for 19 years now (scary). And yes, we do work! Some of my friends seem to think I don't do 'real work' ;-) I came close to resigning last year when our universities were beset by months of violent protests and radical student politics, but that seems to have quietened down now.

I went to the highest bidder years ago and sold my IT soul to big oil :) It pays great but you have to deal with corporate BS all the time. It's definitely a trade-off.
Corporate BS as in not doing the job, but rather doing the meta meta meta (regulatory/process improvement/etc) stuff? I am thinking there is some growing overhead in this. Let's say 5 people do a job and it does not work well. What happens today is you one by one remove people from the doing side and in the end 4 people are process enhancers and do appointment related business including powerpoint problems, and one does the job. Maybe some slight exaggeration here :D
It's safe to say, compared with small companies, big companies are a weird and distorted paralell universe.

I definitely envy (that aspect of) people who've managed to find a job they're passionate about and feel is important work :)

I definitely envy (that aspect of) people who've managed to find a job they're passionate about and feel is important work :)

Life is too short to not find something like that.

I'm sorry to tell joxer that I almost worked at EA but I ended up doing an internship elsewhere instead. When I finished the University, I didn't feel like working in that industry because Montréal and traffics jams sucks and I ended up preferring smaller companies environments.

I've been a software programmer working on clustered server applications for 10 years now.

Corporate BS as in not doing the job, but rather doing the meta meta meta (regulatory/process improvement/etc) stuff? I am thinking there is some growing overhead in this. Let's say 5 people do a job and it does not work well. What happens today is you one by one remove people from the doing side and in the end 4 people are process enhancers and do appointment related business including powerpoint problems, and one does the job. Maybe some slight exaggeration here :D
It's safe to say, compared with small companies, big companies are a weird and distorted paralell universe.

I don't think that's an exaggeration, the amount of processes I need to go through and the amount of people involved is mind-staggering ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unfortunately that's another of the drawbacks of big enterprises - they go beyond the point where you can personally rely on the intelligence and ability of your team, and so fall back on over-proceduralising everything to make it idiot proof.

I just had my 30 Year Anniversary at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory / California Institute of Technology. Rather mindblowing.

JPL has been a dream employer all these years, even if the jobs and compensation were sometimes mediocre. The people are what really makes it outstanding for me, although there are always selfish self-important ladder-climbers no matter where you work.

Back
Top Bottom