Your top 10 'Major Disappointment' games or: 'I want my money back!'

I'm going to stick strictly to CRPG's as a list of my console disappointments would span numerous pages.

Easy Choices:
The following list of games are those I despise with self-determined justification.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anachronox - I had great hopes for this game, which was promoted as a blending of the best of console and PC worlds; playing the game made me wonder just which worlds the developers were looking at. Ultimately monotonous, the game begins with a sequence of trivial tasks that do nothing to advance the plot (and can take up to fifteen hours to complete, should you be so foolish as to continue investing your time in it), involving a host of characters whose archetypes are easily inferred and lacking in development, whilst the plot itself is worthy only of an inclusion in a B-grade sci-fi film. Furthermore, the often critically cited "humour" of the title is prevalent only to those who find the following amusing: (a) small, grotesquely muscled characters physically abusing your own; (b) the sort of sarcastic remarks you're likely to hear on an elementary school playground; (c) "cutscenes" that end with swearing robots; (d) drowning kittens. No, you don't actually drown any kittens in Anachronox, but I'm certain I would have laughed more often doing so than playing this game.
Mistmare - Between a shoddy control and camera scheme (the latter of which is incredibly frustrating), graphical issues (including sporadically massive framerate drops and texture overlapping), as well as being set in an overly drab and dark atmosphere (which the inability to increase the gamma occassionally makes all but unplayable) Mistmare appears like a game only midway through its development cycle.
Lionheart: Legacy of the Crusader - I was drawn to this title by two distinct things: the unique take on an alternate-reality medieval society, and the Black Isle branding. For those familiar with the more notable BI franchises (Baldur's Gate, Fallout, etcetera) the character and combat system will be instantly familiar, but the sense of nostalgia fails to make up for the glaring shortcomings of Lionheart. A veritable slue of unique and intriguing quests in the initial area (Barcelona) appear to promise more of the same down the road, but rapidly dwindle, leaving the player with the impression that the game was rushed out the door. Furthermore, the frenetic variation in enemy difficulty (which is intensified by their insane speed in the limited resolution screen) demands that you focus on weaponry, leaving aside the more interesting (to me, at least) options of magic and stealth. After a dozen character deaths in the span of an hour, and some major revisions to my character layout, it became readily apparent that the ability to customize your character was not what it seems: choose the wrong skills and you'll hastily meet your end. A grating disappointment from a company with an otherwise superb history.
Dungeon Lords - What more can I say about a game that has already been lambasted for five pages?
Septerra Core: Legacy of the Creation - This was one of the first CRPGs I picked up, and the one that almost turned me away from them. Another entry in the "console-meets-PC" genre, Septerra Core plays like the blatant and poorly executed knock-off of numerous other games (including the Final Fantasy and Breath of Fire series) it is. What's more, it just looks ugly.
Summoner - In short: a click-fest title set within an unoriginal atmosphere and storyline, with characters whose development is sporadic, and, at best, minimal.
Titan Quest - A game set in the rich atmosphere arising from a medley of ancient Greecian and Egyptian mythology would seem to portend something amazing; Titan Quest, however, boils down within the first half-hour to reveal how little substance it truly encompasses. A myriad of "unique" items (read: randomly mixed and matched names and statistics) do not make up for a combat system whose premise is nothing more than "click your enemy, then again, and again, and again, and again...". The developers were obviously fans of Diablo, but while imitation may be the sincerest form of flattery, it makes for very dull games. Don't buy the hype.

Difficult Choices:
The following list of games are those which I did not enjoy playing, but could still recommend.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Neverwinter Nights - I picked up NWN after having read of the near-legendary status it had achieved. This status, however, did not last very long while playing through the primary campaign. A promising storyline that sparked little more than pages of drivel, ultimately floundering into the same old channels as other fantasy fare, and numerous innovations that were present, but untapped, left me with a feeling of malaise. NWN seemed a title that was made purely as a building block; a stepping stone by which the community could create their own adventures, not a game in and of itself...thankfully, the community stepped up. While I no longer play NWN (and remain heartily disappointed in it, not the least because it requires you to play with a group of characters if you wish to make any real progress), I continue to recommend it on account of the numerous incredible mods available for such.
Star Wars: Knight of the Old Republic - While citing this game may very well end in some sharp retorts, I'll do so just the same, for one reason: it's bad. Very bad. After reading professional reviews stating everything from "it grasps the Star Wars universe in a realistic manner" to the fanboy cry's of "it's like being a real Jedi!" how could I resist? Imagine then, if you will, my disappointment in a game which locked me into a strictly linear storyline hidden behind a facade of freedom. I was bereft of the ability to attack the guards I wanted, kill the people I wished, or even venture outside the realm of what the developers defined as "good and bad". However, that was not the true disappointment, no...that was the combat system. Here I am, finally having become a Jedi, one of the greatest warriors this fictitious universe retains, and yet I can't seem to kill anyone. Why? I run right up to the guard, swing my lightsaber (you know, the sword that can cut through anything!) right through his chest, and nothing happens. How? Oh, because the combat isn't real, and what I do beyond selecting an enemy doesn't matter. KOTOR is part of the new wave of "cinematic" games that allow you to sit back and watch the action unfold on your screen...but who wants that? I was looking forward to a game in which I'd be able to swing my sword through an enemy, cutting them swiftly in two, fling objects at them with my force powers, and block laser blasts left and right...what I get is a combat system based on behind-the-scenes mathematical computations. It doesn't matter that I dodged the grenade, jumped out of the way of his sword, or was behind the Trooper when he fired in front of him, all that matters is that his number was higher and according to that, he hit me. I can see it now, a whole new era of Star Wars films: "I'm sorry, Luke, but you missed Darth Vader. You see, while you may have swung your lightsaber through the area occupied by his neck, your lightsaber has a base 10 strike, and his armor is level 8 with a saving cast of 4, and while he rolled a 2, he has a dark side bonus of 1 which is 11, so I'm afraid you lose..."
Planescape: Torment - Another inclusion that's likely to earn me some flack, but so be it. I'm hard-pressed to express how I was disappointed in this game, although I know it was something about the combat system, the frivilous "interaction and impact" my actions made, and the overly convoluted storyline (or should I say, "the story that was apparently written by someone who thought themselves very clever") that struck me as most disappointing. Still, Planescape opened my eyes to some new facets of the RPG world, thus I still recommend it to new RPGers. What's more, if a revamped version was ever made, I'm certain I'd try it.
Vampire the Masquerade: Redemption - This was the one game that hurt me the most. As an enthusiast of the incredibly replayable and pioneering VTM: Bloodlines, which fortunately (or perhaps, unfortunately) I played first, Redemption was a crushing blow. Naively imaging that the developers at Troika might have garnered the structure for their game from Redemption, I discovered within it a whole new game...not in a good way. The fact that it involved vampires was great, the premise for the storyline was also intriguing (a Crusader seeking to rid himself of the curse of vampirism), but the combat system, atmosphere, inventory, and even movement were all haphazard. I believe I might have gone easier on Redemption had I not already played Bloodlines, but I'll never really know. All I do know is this: Redemption was a major disappointment.

Oh, also, for anyone who recalls me from the Dot, it's great to finally get over here! I'd also like to thank the many (former?) members of the Dot who were kind enough to inform me of the move in response to my inquiry.

Vampire:Redemption bummed me out too, I was into White Wolf games at the time myself. My biggest problem with the game right off the bat was that you couldnt choose your class. Instead you ended up taking a little tour thru all the classes from outside, meeting each one of them thru the campaign. Secondly, the blood points alloted when leveling were so minute that it was very difficult to make a good char with what you had.
Third, for supposedly being a supernatural vampire, youd hit the ground like a normal human quite easily, able to take very little damage. Speaking of the humans, they on the other hand could take ten shots with a pistol and keep coming.

So I took the lemon and made lemonade, cranked up a cheat to hit me with tons of blood points, and gave myself some of the finer weapons that could actually shred my enemies. Soon I was calling down lightning and wiping out entire city blocks with rocket launcher and chain gun.

Then yeah, it was fun, when played as an action game.

Septerra Core was a fine game when I picked it up. Console meets CRPGs are not that bad, but the most obvious flaw of the game was the bad and at time very awkward combat. However the interesting setting makes up for that.

As for BG, I was just trying to give it a try. However, 8 years are enough to show the engines rough edges. Never really managed to like its original form. Second try, BG tutu. Easy TUTU to be exact. Really manages to revamp the experience. However, after the bugs and the third restart with the same character, I am growing tired of doing the same things over and over again.

@booyah -- I can see why you included PS:T on your list. It's without any doubt one of the most memorable CRPG's I've ever played, right up there with Fallout -- but that doesn't change the fact that I was screaming in frustration much of the time when playing it. It's a bit like Gothic 3, come to think of it, on one level -- it does some things extremely well, indeed in a way that's just about unparalleled in games before or since... but it does other, highly important things in completely boneheaded ways.

To pick just a single example, take character development. It permits taking a fighter, stealth, or spellcaster path... yet only the spellcaster path is fully developed, and the stealth path is borderline unplayable. (I know because I made my first TNO stealthy, and there just weren't decent stealth solutions to most problems; playing him was just like playing an underpowered fighter.)

But still, if PS:T is a flawed diamond, it's still one hell of a *big* flawed diamond. One of these days, I gotta go and play it again...

I'm pleased to see you found your way here .
Now back to the lurking...
Thanks, mate.

Septerra Core was a fine game when I picked it up. Console meets CRPGs are not that bad, but the most obvious flaw of the game was the bad and at time very awkward combat. However the interesting setting makes up for that.
I would agree whole-heartedly with you, Arma, console-meets-computer RPGs are "not that bad', that has never been my complaint. In fact, I could readily name some well executed titles in said genre, and some marvelous ports as well. My complaint is this: I have yet to play a single game lauded as "a melding of the console and computer" (or whatnot) that has fully grasped the potential the computer presents, or the true gaming formats the console world is so rife with. In short, I'd pin my disappointment down to the mere fact that, so very often, even the game developers seem somewhat polarized in their "format of choice", either choosing to stick to console or computer gameplay styles.

To pick just a single example, take character development. It permits taking a fighter, stealth, or spellcaster path... yet only the spellcaster path is fully developed, and the stealth path is borderline unplayable. (I know because I made my first TNO stealthy, and there just weren't decent stealth solutions to most problems; playing him was just like playing an underpowered fighter.)
Ironically, I experienced exactly the same thing, having chosen to play a stealth-based character as well (being my favorite character archetype), and also found myself resorting more and more often to melee combat, as opposed to employing my skills.

But still, if PS:T is a flawed diamond, it's still one hell of a *big* flawed diamond. One of these days, I gotta go and play it again...
A beautiful analogy, and one I would most definetly agree with. As I said, were an updated version ever made, I'd play it.

booyah_boy,

It's nice to see someone else who feels the same way I do about KOTOR.
As a huge fan of both Star Wars and CRPG's, I eagerly awaited KOTOR for over a year after first hearing about it's development. The fact that it was being made by Bioware only increased my anticipation.

I was hugely dissapointed by a pc game that looked and felt like an Xbox title. No doubt due to the fact that it was designed for both platforms. I had to force myself to even finish the game. Needless to say, I never even attempted to play KOTOR 2.

AvP 2. First one was great - can't get into the second one.

Gothic 3. I know I'm going to want my money back based on the demo but I have to buy it since it is Gothic.

Personally, I liked both KotOR titles. But I did play them on the Xbox. I also liked AvP 2, but perhaps I just like most games, anyway :).
roqua said:
Another let down was Return to Krondor.
Which reminds me of Betrayal in Antara... another rather poor game, yet I managed to like even this one.

I didn't mind BiA, since I enjoyed the BaK engine and style. It wasn't as good as BaK, but had a certain charm!!

Another let down was Return to Krondor.

"Jein" , as I would say in German (it's actually a mixture of ja = yes and nein = no).

To me, the graphics wrre a hguge part of disappointment.

The role playing aspect was totally different from anything I had seen before. Stats, feats etc. .

But the voice acting was absolutely excellent - at least in my ears. Had not been this imho excellent voice-acting, I had called this game simply "crappy".

Plus, it is one of only three games I personally know which have *real* cooking recipes (Divinity doesn't count because everything in it must be translated into real world first). One scroll (in my German-language version) actually contained a recipe for Chai, an oriental tea.
The other two games are Stonekeep (Pumpkin Muffins) and the temple of elemental evil (cookies).

its kinda sad affair that this thread is the 2nd largest and nearly the size of games people are playing.

also i had to get involved when someone tears apart a brillant game like anachronox. i'm not sure that this thread should include games that we've played years after their release, hardly a fair way to judge a game. besides while its somewhat childish and wierd setting anachrox is a great game that i'm sorry you didn't enjoy booyahboy. i'm sure a lot of hardcore rpg gamers or others on this site might not like it, as the sales of the game reflect but for those who do its one of a kind gem. half the other games on your list i love so its clear that are tastes are quite opposite which is completely fine. just had to 'stick up for' anachronox.

Anachronox was a game spoiled by 3 things. It had a console feel to it. The beginning was WAY too long and tedious. The ending was ridiculous and EXTREMELY annoying. However, the middle of the game was fantastic!!

thats actually pretty spot on corwin...glad you found the rest fantastic though!

Here's my list of most disappointing games in no particular order:

* Lands of Lore II -- I liked Lands of Lore I sooo much and looked forward to II sooo much that when it was boring I was sooo disappointed
* Lands of Lore III -- shouldn't have been a disappointment considering II plus it wasn't as bad as II but it was an I-should-have-known-it-wouldn't-be-good title
* Darklands -- this was so hyped up many years after release that I figured I'd try it but it was way too late and the old technology didn't at all hold my interest
* Fallout I -- same thing here, I guess, I tried it for the first time several months ago and it just wasn't my cup of tea; I like fantasy rpg's and have even enjoyed some scifi (KOTOR) but post-nuclear just didn't keep my interest at all
* Etherlords -- I like Magic The Gathering and Shandalar but Etherlords wasn't my cup of tea
* Battle for Middle Earth I, Warcraft III -- I don't know why I tried these, I enjoyed Warcraft II a lot for some reason but I just don't like RTS any more
* Dungeon (is that the name of it? the game where you create the dungeon and adventurers try to plunder it) -- very uninteresting
* Worlds of Warcraft -- I'm sure it's a very enjoyable game but after trying for about 30 hours including replacing CD's and re-installing a million times it kept crashing two minutes into the world; fortunately I was able to get my money back
* Dungeon Siege I -- this was really unenjoyable, it was just autocombat; however, this gets pulled off the list completely because of the Ultima V Lazarus mod created for it just in the past year (Lazarus is one of my fav ever rpg's)
* Madden football -- compared to Strat-O-Matic football Madden doesn't hold a candle but then that's because I don't want an arcade graphics experience I want an NFL realistic strategy experience (hence my name) (PM me if you want to know anything about Strat-O-Matic computer football)

it sneaks quietly through the night
circling the valley for the pungent scent of prey
its eyes burn with an anger unsoothed
pacing, its claws yearn for its favourite feast
to release their power upon the night
descending upon, with its paws of doom

Originally Posted by JDR13
I was hugely dissapointed by a pc game that looked and felt like an Xbox title. No doubt due to the fact that it was designed for both platforms. I had to force myself to even finish the game. Needless to say, I never even attempted to play KOTOR 2.
Actually, despite the subpar performance of KOTOR, I did attempt to run through KOTOR 2, with similar results. What's more, the storyline in such seemed less coherent than in the first, which was yet another negative mark against the series.

Originally Posted by curious
i had to get involved when someone tears apart a brillant game like anachronox. i'm not sure that this thread should include games that we've played years after their release, hardly a fair way to judge a game. besides while its somewhat childish and wierd setting anachrox is a great game that i'm sorry you didn't enjoy booyahboy. i'm sure a lot of hardcore rpg gamers or others on this site might not like it, as the sales of the game reflect but for those who do its one of a kind gem. half the other games on your list i love so its clear that are tastes are quite opposite which is completely fine. just had to 'stick up for' anachronox.
To each his own, aye? To be honest, I'm sorry I failed to enjoy the noted game as well. As I've said, I am a console fanboy at heart, but also a recent PC enthusiast, thus there is little I would like to see more than a truly well-developed game created using the best of both PC and console systems. Sadly, in my opinion at least, Anachronox failed to deliver on that. In that same vein, I would agree with Corwin's assessment of the title, namely that Anachronox has far too great of a "console feel" to it, the beginning is horrendously tedious (as I noted in my rant), and the ending is unrewarding. The simple fact is this: you will find much better games on console systems and the PC, thus, what did Anachronox have to show for a melding of the two?

Originally Posted by NFLed
Warcraft III - I don't know why I tried these, I enjoyed Warcraft II a lot for some reason but I just don't like RTS any more
As long as people are "sticking up" for games they enjoyed, I'll put in a word or two for this one. While not a RTS fan by nature (enjoying those games focused solely on a single unit most, as opposed to a group of units or a party), I've followed the Warcraft series since its conception and enjoyed each new iteration (with the exception of WoW, also being a stauch supporter of single-player games and a MMO critic) more than the last. Suffice to say, I found Warcraft III to be the best in the series thus far (save for the fact that they modified some parts of the previous canon in order to accomodate the storyline). The inclusion of "hero" characters, numerous new races, and the transition from a two-dimensional field (among other things) was the catalyst for new life in the series. I only hope Blizzard gets it's act in gear and gives those of us who don't want to play WoW another shot at that universe.

Originally Posted by xSamhainx
This may call for a full-on Exterminatus, this thread has been tainted by Chaos.
Nice. Actually, I just wanted to drop a quick note about your sig, which is both wise and true.

I would've liked KOTOR 2 more than KOTOR if it had been finished properly. The less coherent storyline somehow also allowed an illusion of more freedom. I'm (too?) excited about Team Gizka's restoration project; once they're done with it I'm very much looking forward to another play-through.

Personally, I'm probably less sensitive to "consolitis" than most -- if the story is good and the game plays decently enough not actually to get in the way, I can put up with just about any rendition of it. Turn-based, real-time, first-person, third-person, isometric, 2D, 3D... as long as it *works*, I don't care. The KOTOR's worked decently enough.

Back
Top Bottom