Last game you finished, tell us about it

JDR13 said:
I'd say it's closer to 100% that it won't be ported, and it has nothing to do with signing a contract.

Naughty Dog is a subsidiary of Sony.
Didn't know that. I guess Sony is covering all its bases.

I mean both texture resolution and overall resolution. The PS4 version is 1080p, and I assume the PS3 version is 720p.

I suppose it's moot though. I'm not ready to purchase a PS4 yet.

And PS4 version can also go beyond 30 fps. They it averages out at 60 fps. So it's a lot smoother in gameplay. You can also lock it at 30 fps for some better shadow options.

I mean both texture resolution and overall resolution. The PS4 version is 1080p, and I assume the PS3 version is 720p.

I suppose it's moot though. I'm not ready to purchase a PS4 yet.

I don't actually know the native resolution of the PS3 version, but you might well be right.

Finished The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky.

LoH:TitS. Tits?
Erm… Maybe that's why I liked the game? :D
Nah.

I don't want to type everything again so…

Pros:
- It's jRPG and as such does contain endless mobrespawns but is not a grinder. It actively discourages grinding as higher level you are, less XP you get (even zero if you're too strong for certain mobs). You may outrun any random mob on the map, but even if caught you may escape without fighting.
- You can save anywhere outside of the battle.
- It has loads and loads of text, heavy on story.
- Superior to classic jRPG (FF?) design where you don't see enemies on the map. Here you see them when you come close, there is also an item that allows you to see them in long distance.
- Exploration counts, best items you get from hidden chests, sometimes after a challenging fight.

Negs:
- Mediocre music.
- Loads of text is great, but sometimes feels too cliche and is rarely integrated in the game (crimescene investigation is a rare occurence where it does matter).
- UI is too "gamepady", inventory and menus are horrible not to mention screen rotation by leftclick+middlebutton roll is retarded, default configuration is crap and there is no hardware autodetect, no quicksave/quickload, to change settings you need to run a separate config app.

Some more words.
You'll have to grind only in the last dungeon as you need to do or receive damage for special moves needed against challenging fights!
Before that you don't need to grind for crystals at all. I had no problems finishing the game without it. Plus eventually you get an item that helps you avoid mobs on the map.
The story while started as cliche, and familiar at times (indoctrination & mechs, oh wait, this is 2004. game and mass effect was released in 2007. who stole frome who?) drags you in! Yes, there are betrayals, agendas, conspiracies, everything a proper jRPG should have. But I can't say I've seen this good character development outside of movies and series. It doesn't play with you, you're presented with things and you know what happens next, it does feel cheesy sometimes, sometimes predictable, but is done in such great way I just had to continue with reading and playing it more as it became the greatest guilty pleasure I've ever had.

Combat is not hard, there are challenging fights but nothing you can't overcome. It is turnbased, thus you'll want a speed boosting crystal on you. With hitting vulgaris you can use a skill from a few available, crystal magic that depends what crystals you've combined previously or a superstrike called s-break. New skills you learn by leveling up and better spells by combining better crystals. As I've said, no grinding is necessary, I've never combine ingredient crystals you get from fights as by exploring and solving quests you get great crystals anyway.

A quote from txa, he made a PSP review and liked the game:
I loved this game on the PSP … and re-downloading it now to play again :) (here is my review from 2011 - http://www.vgblogger.com/review-the-legend-of-heroes-trails-in-the-sky/9254/)

Superb storytelling, great battle design, discouraged grinding, saving anywhere system (it also has autosaves on page 0!), badly dated graphics, mediocre music, linear and only guild points are based on choices:
8/10

I'll instabuy the sequel (this is the first game in trilogy, wiki says the next should be out also this year!).

Oh I'm not done writing, but I need a separate post for that.
In the meantime do yourself a favor, log on GOG and buy the game if you haven't already. It's maybe the best jRPG that exists on PC.
http://www.gog.com/game/the_legend_of_heroes_trails_in_the_sky

Last edited:
Right, there's more to TitS.

You don't have to buy OST separately, with PC version you get it as .ogg files within the game folder. But for whatever reason the publisher thought all those scores are awsome and it'd be a great idea to make more arrangements. And sell them. And resell. And sell more as parts of different collectiones. At least ten of those are mentioned on RPGfan, trust me there are more. The one from the game is this:
http://rpgfan.com/soundtracks/loh6-ost/index.html
You can see some others here (scroll down):
http://rpgfan.com/soundtracks2.html

I said music is mediocre meaning the overall soundtrack, but some scores are a total crap and some are very good.
Luckily among all these milk-them albums, one does have the best of them with great arrangements so if you want some nice japanese songs to enjoy, grab this one:
http://rpgfan.com/soundtracks/loh6-vocal/index.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMotDzgSkac&list=PL11934B011C3F5775
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/kongwo-jian-shanggete-ying/id505071293

Milk, milk, milk…
Oh and just so you know. About the sequel, not tits2, it's named TitS second chapter! But still tits…
There is two parts animated movie. Yea. It retells the story from the second game as anime. Will I buy it? Of course not! Mass Effect crap tought me not to do such thing ever again.
Bloody scammers.

Finally, in the game you learn about a password you can use on official game site to grab some more wallpapers. If you want those, click on the "clock", enter ChairmanMeow at:
http://trailsinthesky.com/

If nothing, from this game I've learned japanese Electronic Arts is not really Square Enix.
It's Falcom.

Last edited:
I just finished Shadowrun Returns: Dragonfall.

Good game. Definitely an improvement over Dead Man's Switch. Although I feel it could have been significantly better still.

Despite being touted as being less linear than DMS, it was still fairly linear for the most part. There are more side quests existing at the same time for you to choose from, but that's about it. None of the levels are very large, and there's little in terms of exploration or interacting with the environments.

You get to work with a core team of NPC's rather than just hirelings this time. There are still mercenaries to hire if you wish, but I just stuck with the NPC's for the entire game.

Thing is, you don't get any control over how the NPC's develop. The game auto-levels them for you, and you don't even get to equip them other than adding extra items to their inventory at the beginning of missions.

I did enjoy the setting a lot though, and I thought the story was better than what we were given in the first game. I once again played as a pistol-wielding Decker.

If I had to rate it, I'd probably give it an 8/10.

A new beginning (Daedalic). A very nice adventure. Not too hard, beautiful graphics, interesting story and long. though a bit woody animated. I don't mind it but for those poe criticists it might.

A 9/10 for me except for the crashes. Boy did that happen often on my laptop with integrated Intel graphics. At certain points or else after about an hour.

Unepic, 5 second ago. I'm not good at these objective reviews so I'll just say it's awesome! And very addicting, I want more

Wow, 296 hours of Divinity Original Sin

This is why I seldom replay games. I play the hell out of my first play through.

First of all . . . Verdict: 9+
No technical issues at all.

The game is a near classic. There was a lot of frustration with the game for me because I had to use my IPad to keep some web sites open for some of the game mechanics. I like a manual better. Also I understand not wanting to hold the gamers hand but some of the main quests lines needed a couple more hints. Some of my extended time with this game involved running around looking for books and notes. And it wasn't until this week that they named the portals on the map.

I also hated that my henchmen were just placeholders with no personality. The merchants didn't even want to deal with them (too bad though because one of my henchmen was my Barter captain)

But enough quibbles. D.O.S. is like a Swiss army knife. The game has so many functions. You have your crafting that is deep and can be a game all by itself. You have the game loot. The loot in this game is so smartly conceived that it could almost replace leveling up. (In the end game I finally used my elemental essences to make my party almost invulnerable (I had about 15 of each and about 10 gems[rubys?]). The game quests were nice but I feel they needed some tightening up in the writing department. For example it wasn't until near the end game I found the doctor's (the one from the opening city) hidey hole. It would have been nice to have been given a hint he had a home in the deep woods when I was searching for the murderer.

Still, so much to do in this game. Crafting stuff, exploring, balancing your party, solving mysteries. However what was the deal with the phantoms in the phantom party. The developers played a trick on me because when I tried to reload the treasure chest after beating the ghosts. . . the whole treasure chest disappeared.

Side note: never did fight the rambling oak, but finally beat the mud lords before I went to the final garden party. I had learned my lessons well.

I also loved the music. However some of the sound track was more like music diddies as opposed to background music. It was all good but those diddies took me out of the game.

Larian put a ton of care into this game and it showed. Great game

The game is a near classic.
Excuse me, but I had to fix that. ;)
It's one of those games you know it'll be probably good, and then you can't believe how good it really is.

Just finished Skyrim. 4th time was the charm.

First try, went merrily as all my other TES games to the mage guild to learn spellcrafting, couldn't find trainer so checked online and realized they removed spellcrafting! Quit game right there.

Second try a week later, decided to give it a chance, though I loved spellcrafting, but let's see what they did instead… pretty fires from my hands, but just didn't feel it. Quit game after some hours.

Third try a few months later, decided to go for an archer. Didn't feel it. Quit after some 15 hours.

Fourth try 2 years later, decided to just go with a Red Sonja 2-handed barbarian that would not cast a spell for her life. 115 hours later and game is over at level 44, did all the quests I wanted. Saved the world, won the civil war, became head of dark brotherhood, champions and thieves guild. Became a vampire and later a werewolf, had a house in all the cities. Interestingly enough, the only skill I maxed was Enchanting (Two handed got to 99 at the end of the civil war).

Another fun thing to do was play with mods. I think at the end I had like 10 mods to make it purtier and more immersive.

Was a great game, still can't forgive them for removing spellcrafting though!

Skyrim is great yes but... I went with a destruction mage and at a certain point it just became too easy. I guess all sandbox games have that

Finished tales of money island. A worthy successor though the mouse movement is just shit. Instead i went with a gamepad for movement and a mouse in my right hand for the click

I finished Legend of Grimrock.

I was having a blast with this game all the way through, but the very end was a little bit of a letdown. Obviously as a dungeon crawl it's not story-focused, but the early levels had seemed to tease a complicated and detailed backstory that would gradually be revealed through bits of lore as I burrowed down through the prison.

Well, come to find out on level 13 that the big secret is just plain nonsensical — apparently the prison was built to subdue a homicidal metal cube that used to terrorize the world by rolling on top of people until someone finally stuck a mountain on it. Okay. There's no explanation of where the tentacle guys came from, how they relate to the human authorities now using the dungeon as a prison, etc. So it was kind of a big WTF for a send-off.

But still, have to give props to the game design — a really nice blend of puzzle and rpg, simple and traditional but very fresh-seeming. I was hooked right through to the very end.

And I'm going to describe my party setup to you now, because you I know that you care deeply.

Everyone ended up at level thirteen — one level short of what I had planned for in budgeting out their points. Here are my guys:

Human Mage
Air Magic 27
Ice Magic 24
Spellcraft 14

I took Air Magic just for the Invisibility spell, which I ended up using exactly zero times. It was nice having a second element (a nasty late-game mob is immune to ice attacks), but I'd have been better off going deeper into Spellcraft instead. Or Fire: the game's designers are apparently Fire-element chauvinists, as two of the game's most powerful items for mages are designed to boost Fire magic in particular.

Human Rogue
50 Missile Weapons
4 Assassination
3 Throwing Weapons

Not the optimal setup — she'd have worked better as a Minotaur, since in Grimrock missile weapons are boosted by strength and strength alone (weirdly, the dex stat is totally superfluous for archers). But she was still pretty badass by the endgame, my only character to max out a skill. (the few points in other skills were chosen pretty much at random after she hit 50)

Insectoid Rogue
8 Assassination
29 Daggers
17 Dodge

Again, not the ideal race/class match — Insectoids are supposed to be mages, but I just thought a bug with knives would be cool. It was also a mistake to put 8 points into Assassination, since I rarely backstabbed and the payoff wasn't much when I did. Meanwhile she finished the game one level short of unlocking her best dagger attack. Specialize, is the lesson we have learned here!

Minotaur Fighter
19 Armors
33 Swords

Okay, this one I got right. Heiferia von Barn got to use all the game's best equipment, and she slayed with it. I chose swords for her to compensate for her racial weakness in dex instead of axes or maces to stack her already-high strength, and I think it was the right choice because even with boosted dex she still whiffed a lot.

And that's my exciting story about Legend of Grimrock! What should I play next? Don't say Wizardry.

No, not Wizardry, but since you've obviously enjoyed a DC, grab Might&Magic 10.

Might&Magic 10

Really? I googled a bit, and the scuttlebutt seems to be that it was rushed and left broken.

Is that exaggerated? I've never played the series at all, so I should probably check it out at some point.

MM10: neither rushed nor broken.
It's a good old school game for turn based party combat fans.

Whoever said it's rushed and broken should be restricted of writing anything on internet ever again.
And what's with this misleading plague lately? Liars are swarming like mushrooms all over internet when a game is not mainstream (read: not stupid enough so a braindead monkey can play it).

Seriously, buy the game, it's awsome and you don't need older ones to enjoy it.

And that's my exciting story about Legend of Grimrock! What should I play next? Don't say Wizardry.
Eye of the Beholder, it's like Grimrock but good.

I completed the Walking Dead Season 2. I'm not going to post any spoilers, but overall I have mixed views. I had a good time, but I don't see Telltale's writing as particularly good, and I think it definitely lost its impact because it plays similarly to the first season. Also disappointing is that the adventure game elements are all gone, you do little else but push buttons and walk, with no puzzles to deal with. I heard that the Wolf Among Us is better.

Excuse me, but I had to fix that. ;)
It's one of those games you know it'll be probably good, and then you can't believe how good it really is.

The problem I have with Divinity:OS is it plays out so much slower than my brain that it gets frustrating.

For example...

I'm in a battle and almost instantly I can picture the next few turns of combat as I'll play them. So, my work here is done and now I just have to wait fucking ages for the enemy to walk at snails pace across the screen or if I want to cast 3 spells in my turn I have to wait for the casting warmup animation, then the casting animation to finish...

Most games with turn based combat have an option to speed up the combat animations. First example that comes to mind is Fallen Enchantress where I'd always play at least double speed. Maybe I'll want to slow the fights down for special encounters and pay closer attention but most the time I just want to think and then act and have no artificial delay slowing my next input.

Back
Top Bottom