Final Fantasy X & X-2 Steam Release?

Exactly - why just stick with a certain audience when you can tap into millions more gamers?
And why is it bad to tap into millions more gamers? The way I see it, gamers win.

"Older games" doesn't automatically mean "unworthy, lame games", so what's bad in porting over older games? :rolleyes:

As far as I'm concerned, this porting trend is cool. Port more, port large! :)

If companies make money with that, it's cool. A coincidence when a good deed actually brings money in, rather than an unsavory business practice being profitable.

The only sad part is that older titles are unlikely to be recognized and appreciated the same way as they would be years ago. But it's better than many people not ever having seen them at all.

As far as I'm concerned, this porting trend is cool. Port more, port large! :)

I totally agree - but I also see the point (in the FF6 thread) about at least doing SOMETHING with the graphics when porting from a small screen to a PC.

But I see there being a great opportunity as people are enjoying games BASED ON these older series ... Why not play the REAL games as well!

And why is it bad to tap into millions more gamers? The way I see it, gamers win.

"Older games" doesn't automatically mean "unworthy, lame games", so what's bad in porting over older games? :rolleyes:

As far as I'm concerned, this porting trend is cool. Port more, port large!
Exactly Elel I love that we are seeing more JRPGs on Steam. As I said before PC games/port were never a focus of Japanese developers beside certain genres.

So keep them coming as more options beside consoles & handheld's is a plus.:nod:

I'm playing this right now on my ps4....really having a blast...

It's a throwback to older games and it although cheesy at time it has captured my attention.

I hear X-2 has a really crazy tie-in with Final Fantasy 7. Short version:

A guy named Shinra in X-2 has a plan to extract mako energy from the Farplane. Well, supposedly, 1000 years in the future on a different planet in the same universe (Final Fantasy 7's planet), Shinra is born to extract mako from the ground. It was named Shinra in honor of the Shinra guy in Final Fantasy 10 who first came up with the idea, even though it was 1000 years ago.

:)

Ahhh mako extraction: the worst of big oil and nuclear all rolled up into one fantasy energy source! But that's another story...

I can't believe I made posts in this thread and then completely forgot about PC release of these games. If not for the news on the main site, I'd have missed them. :)

So, any idea how good/bad the port is? I've had really bad experiences with FF games on steam thus far. Was gifted FF V, and played it, and well, let's just say the port was less than stellar. The biggest flaw was how the game could sometimes decide that you wanted to use an entirely different menu option than the one you had previously selected, which resulted in me wasting some valuable items and casting the wrong spells on multiple occansions. And a game that looks like this should not stutter on a modern computer!

And then there was FF XIII. The game was not great to begin with, and it was not helped by the fact that if I had an Xinput controller plugged in it would freeze on the save menu, and the keyboard controls were bad. Also, it was poorly optimized.

*edit* just checked its forum on steam. Seems to be a lot of issues with it...

Last edited:
What issues?

Graphics overall looks decent and is 720p, but in cutscenes where ghosts appear their polygons and textures still look like original Wolfenstein in bad mood.
Music got new arrangement and compared to original scores is awsome so on new game pick the new music option definetly.
UI is a disaster. Plain and simple. I don't know who makes those UI in Square Enix games, but whoever it is should be fired as soon as possible. You'll adapt to it, it's still playable, but you won't have good words about it.
Lipsync is completely rediculous in some cutscenes. I couldn't believe how bad catpeople singing a song looks. This is not connected to voiceover you'll use. On both english and japanese it will look bad.

Now I have to talk about the game a bit because it's connected to port bonus options.
You don't have to grind at all first for 50 hours. Just kill what comes and push forward. No need to stick to an area and grind2win on endlessly spammed trashmobs. The game will have that challenge feel and you'll learn to use a few tricks that way.
And then, a boss called Seymour Flux appears (it's the third time you fight this character, each time he's called different) and easily wipes out your whole party. This is the moment you need to return to area with arena and grind your levels for hours so you have a chance against him.

Thanks to new options however you'll in the huge area with grass press F1, F2, F3 and F4 so even more trashmobs spawn than usual, fights take less time and are fought automatically. So prepare that one afternoon you'll spend on mindless grinding instead of playing the game. Or - you'll uninstall the crap.
After grinding your arse off and beating that Seymour Flux you'll go forward, the game won't be linear any more but opens so you can fly anywhere and do some sidecontent and then all around the world some "dark aeon" appear which instakill your party and you should go grind more.

I don't want to grind more. I'm now at that point and will try to finish the game because design of exploring in this game is IMO total fail.

I can't understand incoming reviews. This port can't possibly be worth of more than 7/10. It's above average grinder with a decent story and critical things had to be modded (partial controller support for example).

Don't forget that you get two games for a nice price. I passed 60 hours with it already, only with FF10, still didn't move to FF10-2, so I say it's worth buying.
But is it a musthave game? Absolutely not. On PC this is one of those titles you'll miss nothing if you skip.

Last edited:
Dark Aeon are purely optional - you don't have to fight them. Like the Weapon monsters in FF7 or the DLC battles in Last Remnant, they are just there for folks who are really enjoying the game and want some extra goals to keep chasing.

I remember Seymour but not every fight with him. I sure don't remember mindlessly grinding for hours on end to fight anything, though. Maybe I'll need to get the game just to prove that grinding isn't needed!

I don't want to grind more. I'm now at that point and will try to finish the game

You'll be fine. The final boss is much, much easier than most of the optional content. When I played back in the day I built my guys up until Lulu was double-casting Ultima for one MP every turn, and I felt like an idiot in the final sequence because it was totally unnecessary.

Yeah. Pretty much every JRPG over the years has had "optional" grinding to complete optional side content. Pretty much every Final Fantasy, in fact, had the option to do very daunting and difficult side content which required some grinding. At least, for sure from VI on up. :)

I remember Seymour but not every fight with him.
http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Seymour_Flux

The battle is notorious for being among the hardest non-optional bosses in the game due to Seymour's powerful attacks and his signature attack, Total Annihilation.
Enter the fight without Auron or Wakka having at least 4000 HP and you're history. And even that doesn't guarantee you'll win.
To get them beefed up, you have to grind. Both of them in my case were less than 3000 HP. Sadly I didn't hold the savegame so I can't take pics now to show.
Just tanks are not enough. I needed also hastega on Tidus which I didn't have before going4grind and also Yuna's Aeons didn't put out as much damage as they did when I returned from grinding her till the best curing spell she can have.
Lulu is (was) not needed to grind up although I did her too, in this fight she can poison Seymour and then has to be switched because there is no use of her other spells. Same goes for other two sidekicks, I did grind them levels, but their assistance was not needed in this fight.

Last edited:
What issues?

Crashes. Going by just the first 3 pages of the steam forum, there are 5 threads dedicated to crash issues. Another two dedicated to issues with performance (stuttering), and then there are some (did not count, as it's not something that I consider a big issue, but it seemed rather common) that talk about achievements and the steam overlay not working. Usually a high frequency of threads about technical issues with a game is a bad sign, and based on my previous experience with final fantasy games on steam, I'm inclined to believe that this is another crap port.

Seems that the game is crashing only on people who play it on i7 CPU.
I have i5 inside my PC and I have no technical problems. No crash, no stutter, no overlay problem, no achievements problem (maybe that one is related to cheats available ingame, I didn't use any of those).

Seems that the game is crashing only on people who play it on i7 CPU.
I have i5 inside my PC and I have no technical problems. No crash, no stutter, no overlay problem, no achievements problem (maybe that one is related to cheats available ingame, I didn't use any of those).

Skimming through the threads, there seem to be no correlation between processor and crashing. Here's someone with an i5 who has issues with crashing. And here's another one. Nor does it seem to be limited to Nvidia or ATI graphics cards.

It does sound like something is wrong with the achievements but people are always complaining about how games don't run. I mean ALWAYS! If a game has major issues then it's pretty easy to tell from the Steam forums but it's really hard to distinguish the "rare but real" problems from the people who are just having computer issues.

Skimming through the threads, there seem to be no correlation between processor and crashing. Here's someone with an i5 who has issues with crashing. And here's another one. Nor does it seem to be limited to Nvidia or ATI graphics cards.
Of course - both of those are playing the game WITHOUT additional card but with onboard CPU inegrated graphics. That's instantly disqualified - minimum requirements are clear:
Graphics: NVIDIA Geforce 9600GT VRAM 512MB or later / ATI Radeon HD 2600XT VRAM 512MB or later

The same complaints I've seen 2 years ago when people were trying to play Sims 4 on toasters that only have CPU integrated graphics.

When I mentioned i7 and crashes on that, those were machines with separate gfx card.

Back
Top Bottom