|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General Non-RPG » Japanese language pack for Tomb Raider costs another $30

Default Japanese language pack for Tomb Raider costs another $30

April 14th, 2013, 20:23
I've seen some deplorable business decisions but this tops them all.
Beginning on April 25, Tomb Raider on Steam will offer a Japanese Language pack. The optional add-on will include a Japanese voice track, along with subtitles. The kicker? This added support costs the U.S. equivalent of $30.

Tomb Raider currently costs $50 on Steam. When the packaged version releases in Japan later this month, it will cost approximately $80. It's pretty apparent that the $30 language pack is Square Enix's attempt at balancing the two versions, and maximizing profits while simultaneously bleeding the consumers dry.

It's worth noting that the add-on is completely optional, and no one is forced to buy it. However, $30 (60% of the cost on Steam) for the "luxury" of Japanese players to have it in their native language feels like nothing more than exploitation.
Link-http://kotaku.com/on-steam-square-en…ider-472619157

Then news from GAF it looks like Square patched out a japanese language option that was already there, then packaged it as this DLC.

Link-http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=539037

I guess there seriously strapped for cash. I think I will let the ashes settle to see the true story behind this.

"Beware the potato for he is easily angered."- Couchpotato

Couchpotato

LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

April 14th, 2013, 21:23
Maybe they meant 30 Yen.

JDR13

SasqWatch

April 15th, 2013, 11:27
Maybe they believe that "People from Nippon are rich, so that we can exploit them" ?

I have the feeling as if this might be true for music records there as well : Someone once said that the recod companies there put extra stuff on Japanese CDs so that people won't import the much, much cheaper CDs from other countries … ?

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

April 16th, 2013, 01:06
its about time, they've been exploiting the West for years.

xSamhainx

Paws of Doom

RPGWatch Forums » Games » General Non-RPG » Japanese language pack for Tomb Raider costs another $30