Diablo 3 - Happy 2nd Birthday

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Blizzard Entertainment announces that Diablo III has turned two, and shares information about a few ingame gifts to celebrate the occasion.

And Then We Doubled It - Happy Birthday, Diablo III!

On May 15, 2012, the gates of the Burning Hells opened and Diablo III was unleashed onto the world. Since then, millions of heroes have been created, billions of hours have been spent in games, and trillions of demons have been slaughtered without mercy. We've even released an expansion!

To celebrate the game's second anniversary and the community that made it all possible, players who log in to defend Sanctuary this week will receive double Rift Fragments as well as a +100% boost to their chance to find Legendary items. This bonus birthday buff begins in the Americas on Thursday, May 15 at 12:00 a.m. PDT and ends on Thursday, May 22 at 5:00 a.m. PDT.
More information.

Ah, yes, Diablo III.
The game that removed depth, challenge, the need to plan a character and mature graphics from the Diablo franchise. But hey, they replaced it with a by now removed screwed up auction house and a completely unnecessary online requirement.

A reason to party, indeed…

But then again, it probably drove a lot of players to games like Torchlight 2 and Path Of Exile for their actual hack & slay needs, which really is a good thing.
I do think those would be less successful if Diablo 3 was actually a good game for players outside of the casual crowd.

Full of flaws, it's still the best ARPG right now - and the core gameplay is way beyond every single current competitor.

That doesn't change that is has no reason to grind loot beyond grinding more loot.

The removal of the RMAH remains the single worst decision they've made with this game.

They've effectively destroyed both a potentially engaging endgame and the entire trading aspect of the game this way, and then they go and make legendary items bound to account.

It's like they're experimenting with all the ways you can be a stupid game designer.

I'm sure the Devs for Path of Exile would beg to differ… :p

Only if they're deluded.

PoE has fantastic mechanics and is extremely impressive for an indie title.

But in terms of core gameplay - as in moment-to-moment combat and the overall flow of the experience, it can't get remotely close to Diablo 3.

Whatever you may think about Blizzard, the old or the new version, they have some of the most talented craftsmen in the business. Seriously talented people with near-infinite resources.

What they need is vision and bold designers.

That's just my opinion.

Honestly don't see what you're talking about in D3, Dart. It's such a boring piece of trash to me. From the instant level-scaling all the way on up to the loot that is 99% all the same.

I was just thinking of the always-online requirement, something I never really cared for one way or the other. But now, with the removal of the auction house and implementation of bound to account loot, the online requirement for what amounts to a single player game is a joke in itself.

Honestly don't see what you're talking about in D3, Dart. It's such a boring piece of trash to me.

I was just thinking of the always-online requirement, something I never really cared for one way or another. But now, with the removal of the auction house and implementation of bound to account loot, the online requirement for what amounts to a single player game is a joke in itself.

Cool, to each his own.

fatknacker50:These aren't the ARPG's you're looking for.

DArtagnan: These aren't the ARPG's we're looking for.

fatknacker50: He can go about his business.

DArtagnan: You can go about your business.

fatknacker50: Move along.

DArtagnan: Move along… move along.

;)

Fully agree with DArtagnan here..

I just don't know who to hate! I've played 300 hours of PoE and 300 hours of Diablo 3! So I'm both super-hardcore and a filthy casual! I enjoyed both games very much, but frankly they both got boring really fast once I hit end-game.

I will say D3 on console was a sublime experience. I honestly recommend everyone try D3 on the console since it plays so well compared to PC.

But yes...even though I enjoyed D3...it could be so much better. I will share my brilliant idea with you all: Set Retirement. Once you get a full Set, you can retire it, giving you a permanent increase in Set item find plus that specific Set increases in Tier, meaning its stats now roll 10% higher. You can keep retiring Sets over and over and get each set to Tier 10 with 100% higher stats. This would allow them to drop Set items much more frequently but also give end-game players an incentive to keep playing. Best.Idear.Ever.

I just don't know who to hate! I've played 300 hours of PoE and 300 hours of Diablo 3! So I'm both super-hardcore and a filthy casual! I enjoyed both games very much, but frankly they both got boring really fast once I hit end-game.

I will say D3 on console was a sublime experience. I honestly recommend everyone try D3 on the console since it plays so well compared to PC.

But yes…even though I enjoyed D3…it could be so much better. I will share my brilliant idea with you all: Set Retirement. Once you get a full Set, you can retire it, giving you a permanent increase in Set item find plus that specific Set increases in Tier, meaning its stats now roll 10% higher. You can keep retiring Sets over and over and get each set to Tier 10 with 100% higher stats. This would allow them to drop Set items much more frequently but also give end-game players an incentive to keep playing. Best.Idear.Ever.

Except better loot doesn't really mean more content or a reason to keep playing.

For an endgame to work, you have to provide a rational incentive.

Still grinding D3 loot for my level 70 wizard. God only knows why… Every so often I'm surprised by new locations or events or unique loot, and apparently that's enough to keep me interested.

What's stunning is that some players have hundreds of hours on a character and it's scary that the game requires so much time just to get good enough gear to play the high torments.

Hardcore keeps my interest.. The challenge of staying alive (and yes it can be done) to reach the highest levels with all the classes is fun...

Hardcore would piss me off; some of those Elite pack ability combinations are pure cheese. How exactly are you supposed to survive being vortex'd into a nexus of three arcane lances + wall for instance?

Ha! I spend a lot of time backing off and steering clear of frostballs and vortexes, and play less aggressively in those cases. It's really much more tough if you're playing a melee build though. Wizard archon build gives you both ranged and melee area damage. I've heard Witch Doctor is even more powerful.

I'll bet most hardcore players exit the game or avoid those cheese elites seen on Torment entirely if they run across them. No matter how careful you are, you can be surprised by a teleport to insta-kill.

Still grinding D3 loot for my level 70 wizard. God only knows why…
exactly!
I don't know why i got back to the game after the first initial disappointment, but after the last patch(which i updated after a year of not playing) the game is much better, removing the AH was great too, the gameplay is more balanced. it is a dumb crusade for better items, and I've played games which have much more rewarding experience in the long run. but its like a stupid drug now, which i enjoy.

I hope it will tire me soon..

By the way, how the hell do you brawl with someone, or even get someone in your game? I'm lvl60.

That's something I haven't tried yet. I think you have to make your game public and then use the NPC to enter the battleground. Not sure how you find other players.

Back
Top Bottom