Underworld Ascendant - Chattering Bart Update

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
OtherSide Entertainment's next update for Underworld Ascendant announces the game has finally reached he $500,000 mark, and talks about a few other topics.

We fibbed. We said there would be no Update this weekend. But we simply could not contain our excitement on reaching the $500,000 funding milestone. The support of our community for Underworld Ascendant is extraordinary. We are humbled, and triply motivated to make a wonderful game for you.

Onward to the $600,000 milestone!

We also had to share that our community has grown to over 9,200 strong today! This means all our Kickstarter backers will get a free Dark Elf sling, with 5 special purple splatter seeds and at least 2 bonus seeds too. Let’s see if we can reach at least 9,300 Backers by noon (ET) tomorrow, for another bonus seed.

On that note, the most important thing we can do as a community over the coming week is to bring even more backers onboard. We know the original Underworld games have been played by well over a million players. There are even more RPG gamer fans who, while they may not have played the original games, would surely enjoy the amazing game we’re making.

Yet the vast majority of these folks are still utterly unaware that this Kickstarter is underway. At OtherSide we have engaged two PR firms to help get the word out. We also have our friends at Shroud of the Avatar, Star Citizen, Torment, and other projects helping get out the word. Events such this past week’s play of Thief on Twitch reached over 15,000 viewers! We’re also enlisting the full spectrum of social channels to spread the news.
More information.

Looks like they'll make their 600k… they are at 525k now with 10 days left to go. Though I am surprised that the contributions slowed to a trickle. I would have thought this game would be much more popular.

I would have thought this game would be much more popular.

Same here. I'm a little surprised that a game like Shawdowrun Returns can blow past a million $ yet this is struggling to make 600k.

I'm thinking they would have done better if they had pitched it sooner. Kickstarter has definitely cooled down over the last year.

They've gotten additional coverage from other gaming companies as well, it's really hard to understand why this project has slowed down so much. Burnout or not, some people just may not recognize a good thing when they see it. It may have indeed performed better if done perhaps a year ago or so.

Same here. I'm a little surprised that a game like Shawdowrun Returns can blow past a million $ yet this is struggling to make 600k.

Because Harebrained already showed that they are capable of delivering, twice, and their games are still fresh in people's minds.

I also was not impressed with the presentation and delivery of Underworld so far - I backed it but there is not thing special, and all I hear is name dropping. I just hope that they can go further with their world and enemy AI behaviour to set them apart from the masses.

The Shadowrun universe has a really huge fanbase. That might be a reason.

Kingdom Come: Deliverance earned £1,106,371 in 2014, but they had a lot more to show than did UA. Most of the big KS video gaming successes were in 2012 and 2013.

I am a huge fan of Ultima Underworld, and I must confess that I find the stuff in their Kickstarter videos boring and generic. I also think that the $600K is much too low for a team of this size, and a development time of 1 year is not to be trusted. This is why I would not back this Kickstarter (if I would back Kickstarters at all): because the numbers don't feel right and the project doesn't look too interesting.

Alright, I'll pledge. I remember playing the original, but only for an hour or so, which makes my nostalgia factor on this one zero. But you guys seem to want it to succeed, so I'll just blame you if I don't like it in the end.

Honestly, the original UU's were grossly under-appreciated, so I guess it's not surprising that a spiritual successor is suffering the same fate. I've read comments - both here and on other PC gaming websites - where even people who are aware of RPGs from this era mention that they aren't familiar with Underworld, to the point that they don't really understand what this project offers.

That's partially the fault of the campaign I suppose, but still - Underworld unfortunately doesn't carry enough weight based on name and nostalgia alone like other kickstarter projects of classic heritage. That, and the fact that the "season of the kickstarter" is largely over now - far too many failed projects from well-known developers and unknown indie teams alike have tempered most people's excitement for crowd-funding.

Still, this is a style of game that - even if under-appreciated by the masses - was so influential, and sadly so under-used conceptually, that I really hope it gets made. Having a "Looking Glass 2.0" would be a dream come true.

Back
Top Bottom