NWN - Retrospective @ Chalgyr's Game Room

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Chalgyr's Game Room posted a new retrospective for Bioware's Neverwinter Nights. I still play the game ten years later, and can't say the same for many other games.
Neverwinter Nights is not a game you will show your friends to impress them. It’s old and its graphics look very poor compared to those of modern productions. However, it is a fine choice if you want to be immersed in a world where strange creatures, mystical forests and long forgotten treasures await the intrepid adventurer.
More information.

I can't read this, because just seeing a screenshot of the game makes me want to drop everything I'm doing and play NWN immediately. :)

wow - did this retrospective miss the boat. he focussed in on the worst part of the game..the actual game!

Well the two expansions are much better than the base game, but yeah mods made the game better. Whats surprising is new mods are still being made ten years later.

Yes it's a game that continues to have a decent community of modders still working to enhance the experience. My understanding is that there is also a one-man effort underway to re-create the engine, which would then allow it to be enhanced with more modern capabilities.

I really missed out on this game. I bought it when it first game out and just got disgusted with the OC, then dropped it. Tried a couple of the official mods when they first came out (Witch's Wake I remember), but still didn't grab me. If I'd just had some friends to play with online in it, I bet I would have totally gotten into it!

I can't read this, because just seeing a screenshot of the game makes me want to drop everything I'm doing and play NWN immediately. :)

Too late for me, I read the article and looked at the screen shots…downloading my Diamond Edtion from GOG then going to the NWN Nexus site and mod it like crazy.

Of the commercial releases for NWN, Hordes of the Underdark probably got the best reception. I'd try that one unless you dislike high level campaigns.

There are lots of great things about the Bioware NWN series of games, too many to mention.

What I'll mention here though is that the series is quite a refreshing change from the Infinity Engine games while still maintaining that ultra-comfort-food of the Forgotten Realms vibe. It's all 3rd edition D&D and it's less about party mechanics and more about just kitting out one hero and, while the 3D is a right pain to get used to at first, I still find it a visually beautiful game, you can even have Helmets which look nice (a rare thing for RPGs).

Back
Top Bottom