Elder Scrolls Online - Review @ PC Gamer

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
PC Gamer has a new review for Elder Scrolls Online, and awards the game with a score of 68/100. So you can see they find the game average at best.

My enthusiasm for The Elder Scrolls Online's competitive side doesn't stack up against the time I have spent feeling drained by drab questing or restricted by a world ensconced in fog. This is an MMORPG of moderate scope with a few good ideas and the resources invested in it seem sufficient to expect new dungeons, daily quests and armour sets to collect at a decent clip for the next couple of months. If you're tired of your current fantasy haunt and looking for somewhere to transfer your guild, this game may suit you for a time. For everyone else, though, I'd advise caution. There's no game that I'd be happy recommending on the basis that it's at best 'okay' for thirty-plus hours. 'Okay' isn't good enough when you're facing down this much of a premium, and I can't imagine paying a monthly fee to visit somewhere I've been many times before.
More information.

A 68 is just below a "good" rating, meaning the game is pretty good. And yet there are so many people freaking out in the comments section of PC Gamer. I had much fun reading all the crazies refuse to accept someone could find TESO to be merely "pretty good".

I do want to play more than just 5-6 hours of the beta that I experienced...but not until it's free to play. The beta proved quite clearly to me the game is at best a second-rate Skyrim-clone and a pretty good MMO.

I applaud PC Gamer for holding the game to a high standard since TESO is positioning itself as a premium experience. I know everyone will agree with me just like all the other times I've railed against TESO. ;)

I don't think of pretty good when I see a 68, especially considering how common score inflation seems to be. Considering the notes next to the score at the end of the review, I think average is a good summation.

That excerpt pretty much encompasses my feelings from the beta. In fairness, Wildstar's beta has given me the same feeling. The genre just feels so stagnated these days. Hoping EQ Next revitalizes my interest, but I won't hold my breath.

Back
Top Bottom