Last game you finished, tell us about it

Ah.. so now it's just a "shooter"? ;)

That's ok. I was fully expecting those sort of rationalizations when I wrote that. I know it's hard to accept when someone else has less of an opinion about something that you hold in high regard.

It's not just a shooter, but it's definitely a shooter.

Is it possible to question your reasons without having a problem with them?

I think it is, but if you insist it's because I can't accept your opinion - then whatever. It's not like you're inclined to believe me anyway.

I just wasn't seeing questioning so much as rationalizing. What's been done in other games with other characters is irrelevant to what I was talking about.

I'm not going to drag the thread off topic with a debate though. If you want to start a thread specifically about TLoU, I'd be happy to participate. :)

I just wasn't seeing questioning so much as rationalizing. What's been done in other games with other characters is irrelevant to what I was talking about.

I'm not going to drag the thread off topic with a debate though. If you want to start a thread specifically about TLoU, I'd be happy to participate. :)

I simply don't agree that Ellie is particularly implausible compared to Joel - that's all. Well, to put it another way: they're both EXTREMELY implausible when it comes to combat stamina and capacity. Joel being slightly less implausible because he's an adult male - doesn't really change that about the game.

So, we agree that Ellie is implausibly tough - we just don't appear to agree that Joel is as well.

However, I think there's a strong case to be made for making certain games more realistic. Last of Us would have been much, much better for me as a realistic game with limited Rambo stuff. In gameplay terms, that is. Not in terms of the overall experience - which was driven by the story and the characters. The shooting gameplay was just something I did in-between the good stuff. Rare for me, actually.

As you know, I'm not a fan of shooter gameplay at all. I'd adore a game focusing on exploration with a few moments of intense combat, with plausible consequences. But that's just not the gaming world we live in.

That's really all it is, and there's no "negative" spin and I'm unusually talented when it comes to accepting differing opinions. Doesn't mean I agree at all, though.

But you obviously liked the game a lot, and that's the important thing.

As for creating a separate thread, we can do that if you feel like going on. I just wanted to be clear about how I felt. I don't think it's a problem to have a few exchanges related to the games we finish here.

But if it's turning into a no-yes-no as per usual between us, then I'd just as soon stop posting about it altogether.

But if it's turning into a no-yes-no as per usual between us, then I'd just as soon stop posting about it altogether.

Of course you would, but you had to get all that in first, right? ;)

I find it interesting that you would insist that a battle-tested adult male is only "slightly less" implausible in that situation than a 14 year old girl.

I'm sure we can agree to disagree though.

Of course you would, but you had to get all that in first, right? ;)

I find it interesting that you would insist that a battle-tested adult male is only "slightly less" implausible in that situation than a 14 year old girl.

I'm sure we can agree to disagree though.

Yes, I like to make myself clear. A weakness? Maybe - I don't really know.

You're kinda dodging the point about being fine with Joel-superman, though. But that's fine with me.

I agree to disagree :)

I can't tell if you're being serious here or not. That's disappointing for me at least if that's true.

If, by serious, you mean telling the truth - then I'm serious.

I prefer playing male characters myself, but if the story is on par - I'll deal with it. But, in my case, I don't find superhero females more implausible. I just prefer to be able to identify with my character.

I prefer playing male characters myself, but if the story is on par - I'll deal with it. But, in my case, I don't find superhero females more implausible. I just prefer to be able to identify with my character.

I don't find superhero females more implausible. Not sure what that has to do with TLoU though.

As far as the sequel is concerned, I'll definitely be paying attention, but it won't be an automatic purchase.

I don't find superhero females more implausible either. Not sure what that has to do with TLoU though.

To me, being able to stand up and fight after half a dozen gunshots and be fully healed after picking up a few cans of beans, and being able to see through walls because I have ears, is the same as being a superhero.

I can go into detail, but you'd have to create a thread for that ;)

To me, being able to stand up and fight after half a dozen gunshots and be fully healed after picking up a few cans of beans, and being able to see through walls because I have ears, is the same as being a superhero.

Well I suppose that makes more sense than pretending there's no difference between an adult male and a 14 year old girl. :)

Last edited:
Well I suppose that makes more sense than pretending there's no difference between an adult male and a 14 year old girl. :)

No significant difference within the context of killing hundreds of armed men and surviving countless gunshots without a scratch. At least, I don't see it. Then again, maybe I don't have your experience with young girls brought up with endless death and violence? You seem to have the inside track there ;)

Anyway, for the sake of the thread - that was my last bit on the topic of superheroes in shooters.

No significant difference within the context of killing hundreds of armed men and surviving countless gunshots without a scratch. At least, I don't see it. Then again, maybe I don't have your experience with young girls brought up with endless death and violence? You seem to have the inside track there ;).

True, there's no significant difference if you're willing to throw plausibility out the window. I don't think anyone needs first-hand experience to doubt that that situation would somehow make a 14 year old girl as physically and mentally strong as an adult man.

The sequences during the Winter chapter where you took control of Ellie. The game was fantastic up until that point, but then it was as if they suddenly decided to throw plausibility out the window. So now I'm going to be a 14 year old girl who can single-handedly massacre dozens of armed men. Ok.

They should have forced you to take a stealthier approach during those sequences. At the very least, you shouldn't be able to take out enemies as easily as if you were still controlling Joel.

But how did you like the ending to the winter season? I loved it. It was one of the most powerful scenes imo, with Joel grabbing and pulling her away from David's corpse, while trying to calm her down. It was a mirroring of the beginning scene when Sarah dies, imo. He even calls her "baby girl" just as he called Sarah.

But how did you like the ending to the winter season? I loved it. It was one of the most powerful scenes imo, with Joel grabbing and pulling her away from David's corpse, while trying to calm her down. It was a mirroring of the beginning scene when Sarah dies, imo. He even calls her "baby girl" just as he called Sarah.

Yeah, that was pretty good. I liked the character of David and how it was revealed who he was. In fact, I wish they could have went more in depth about that group in general.

Last edited:
Yeah, that was pretty good. I liked the character of David and how it was revealed who he was. In fact, I wish they could have went more in depth about that group in general.

Shouldn't you put that part in spoiler tags? Yeah, the hairs on the back of my neck stood up when they revealed that.

I finished playing Blackguards the other day. All in all I'd have to say, what a game! Between all the various enemies that you'll fight, as well as numerous traps and obstacles that can exist on the battlefield, no two fights were exactly the same.

Speaking of the fights, if long, tactical combat is your thing, this game will satisfy. One of the early battles to obtain a weapon for my fighter took close to an hour.....and I'll say again, this is quite early in the game. I was playing on hard setting, and I'd have to say that the enemies were quite adept at avoiding my front line fighter and tried often to get a piece of my mage. It really forces you to think and plan the entire fight, because just when you get complacent, I guarantee that's when the opponent will surprise you.

The story is also really good, I enjoyed following the ins and outs the entire journey. If you like tactical squad combat, and thrive on small unit tactics, you cannot go wrong with this game. I'm also not certain on this, but I think it took me quite some time to complete, like 40-50 hrs. Of course that's doing every quest, leaving no stone unturned!

I started new character in Path of exile when "expansion" came out and I been slowly playing it and just finished campaign and several end game maps with Scion(hp regen/physical damage build).

Game has come long way since initial release, it has lot more interesting skills, unique items and most importantly content(guarded chests, corrupted areas, Forsaken masters missions).

Newly added forsaken masters mission are possibly my favorite part of game.They have different objectives that make that interesting which is something you rarely see in ARPG.

That being said game mechanics are still weak, since there are no cooldowns gameplay mostly come down to spaming 1 or 2 abilities and kiting a bit.And most bosses also just spam few abilities in very short intervals.So it mostly comes down whether you have stats do fight or not, game requires practically no mechanical skills.That kind of makes sense because of focus on skill tree and character building.

So if you are into min-maxing stats and character building this might be best game out there and it's consistently getting better.At this state 8/10.

I started new character in Path of exile when "expansion" came out and I been slowly playing it and just finished campaign and several end game maps with Scion(hp regen/physical damage build).

Game has come long way since initial release, it has lot more interesting skills, unique items and most importantly content(guarded chests, corrupted areas, Forsaken masters missions).

Newly added forsaken masters mission are possibly my favorite part of game.They have different objectives that make that interesting which is something you rarely see in ARPG.

That being said game mechanics are still weak, since there are no cooldowns gameplay mostly come down to spaming 1 or 2 abilities and kiting a bit.And most bosses also just spam few abilities in very short intervals.So it mostly comes down whether you have stats do fight or not, game requires practically no mechanical skills.That kind of makes sense because of focus on skill tree and character building.

So if you are into min-maxing stats and character building this might be best game out there and it's consistently getting better.At this state 8/10.

Not to be pedantic or anything, but you should probably put this in "the playing now" thread instead :)

Back
Top Bottom