Arcania - One Week Delay for US?

There's nothing official on this. I've also seen some online shops change the date, though.

Did the game also get delayed in the UK? I notice that few retailers seemed to have moved the date to the 22nd when last week it was the 15th.

From what I read europe and rest of the world should still get it on the 12.

Steam updated their count down timer for the game this morning and mine is still getting released tomorrow. I seem to fall with the UK steam store(CC statement says something like Steam London) so at least as far as steam is concerned its not delayed for the UK.

how much is the price on Steam for you guys? 50€ here... (Croatia)

Everything would have been better than getting into a David vs. Goliath situation against Fallout. Now Arcania is probably dead in NA.

During that "time window", yes. But afterwards ? What, if people have played through New Vegas ?

Later, in January, it could flourish, after all of the games bought just before the " holiday season" have been played through.

For getting the "big purchases" it is desastrous, though. I really don't know if people will be able to buy it at full price a few months later.

So now, since I think that this "retail delay" is responsible for all of this mess - is it now so that JoWood has then been destroyed by the retailers ? what does this tell us bout power ? If retailers are able to kind of "squeeze" an already heavily damaged company out of business, isn't this then a sign of who has the power there ?

Bethesda of course will be "the laughing third [one]". They seem to be able to deliver, and they are seemingly big enough to "endure" the retailers.

Which means to me that it's - or it might be, because to me nothing's really clear right now - a big-big-business world right now. Only big ones are there, controlling the markets, having the ability to destroy anyone who is smaller at will.

And that's directly going into monopoly to me. Like in the board game.

During that "time window", yes. But afterwards ? What, if people have played through New Vegas ?

Later, in January, it could flourish, after all of the games bought just before the " holiday season" have been played through.

For getting the "big purchases" it is desastrous, though. I really don't know if people will be able to buy it at full price a few months later.

The thing to remember, is the mentality (at least in NA) is that once a game is 2-3 weeks old - especially on consoles - it is OLD! So ArcaniA in January is 'last year's game;.

... Which means to me that it's - or it might be, because to me nothing's really clear right now - a big-big-business world right now.
I don't know - I don't see Jowood as an innocent party here. The Gothic series (and Risen to be fair) have had their share of problems. I don't know who's to blame but both these series would be doing better had some different decisions been made. Radon Labs are maybe a better example of someone who did nothing wrong in terms of quality but still didn't make it in the market.

But, when you look around, there are still an awful lot of RPGs coming out. As an English speaker I am shortly expecting:

Gothic 4, New Vegas, Flames of Vengeance, Two Worlds II, plus the delayed English River of Time.

Then the Witcher 2 is further out. Nehrim of course is already here, and is probably higher quality than one or two of that list. Dragon Age 2 is in there somewhere too. Not all of those will be in a style we like... but it could be a lot worse :)

The thing to remember, is the mentality (at least in NA) is that once a game is 2-3 weeks old - especially on consoles - it is OLD! So ArcaniA in January is 'last year's game;.

Oh, I didn't know that. Thank you.

Digital distribution offsets that to a degree - the retailer's shelf-life power is removed. An advantage of the PC in that respect I guess.

My Steam Order still say the 12th. I don't believe it.

Last edited:

Yes, and probably reduced in price to $40.

I love RPGs but am in no rush for this one. I will probably wait for a dry spell before playing it, and that's going to be a while.

Alrik, you're right about it being a big business. Smaller, less competitive companies can still make a go of it, if they aren't as stupid as JoWood seems to be.

Last edited:
Yes, and probably reduced in price to $40.

I love RPGs but am in no rush for this one. I will probably wait for a dry spell before playing it, and that's going to be a while.

Alrik, you're right about it being a big business. Smaller, less competitive companies can still make a go of it, if they aren't as stupid as JoWood seems to be.

I could hug you for that statement for its true.

Not surprisingly Steam has just removed the release date of the 12th and the normal countdown. Can still prepurchase but release date no longer listed.

Last edited:
Apparently the game was unlocked on gamersgate for north america. Big mess up by Jowood, steam isn't allowed to unlock for NA but gamersgate can?

I have mine from steam since my region is outside NA. Nearly done with the download.

Apparently the game was unlocked on gamersgate for north america. Big mess up by Jowood, steam isn't allowed to unlock for NA but gamersgate can?

I assume that it is because Steam is a US retailer and GamersGate is not? I am sure there is something like that at play - when you buy in the US from GamersGate you pay internationally and get the non-US version, so ...

Well, I had been deciding where to get it from, but Direct2Drive offered such a sweet pre-order deal (got ArcaniA and two other games for less than ArcaniA itself would have cost) ... no biggie.

Hope you guys who can play are enjoying it!

Back
Top Bottom