Lack of Female NPC's In Piranha Bytes Games

Morrandir

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Lack of female NPC's In Piranha Bytes games

I did a quick survey on the NPC list for Risen 1:

There are 141 NPCs listed, where 12 are female. That's 8.5% females vs. 91.5% males.

Of these 12 females, according to their clothing and location in the gameworld (brothel), 4 are hookers or at least in the business. That's 33.3%.

So you have 8 of 141 (5.7%) non-hooker females in the game.

Last edited:

There are 141 NPCs listed, where 12 are female. That's 8.5% females vs. 91.5% males.

Of these 12 females, according to their clothing and location in the gameworld (brothel), 4 are hookers or at least in the business. That's 33.3%.

Ok, then I agree it's a bit strange.

Not something I really care about, but I can certainly see why it might bother others.

Might be different in Risen 2 though. I remember the natives tribe having a lot of women. Can't remember if that was an exception to the rest of the game.

I remember: it was an exception!

And I'm adding +1 on the idea.
PB games need more boobs! Um… Women!

It's probably too late to have that in Risen3. :(
No matter. If When they announce Gothic5, I'll make sure to make a douchepost on WoR and DeepSilver forums. :evilgrin:

I believe G3 was even worse in that respect -- bigger world, and barely any women there -- though I do not have the data to back that up.

But when I have previously accused PB's games of misogyny and sexism most of the posters here (with only a couple of exceptions) loudly disagreed…

What's your excuse this time guys?

But when I have previously accused PB's games of misogyny and sexism most of the posters here (with only a couple of exceptions) loudly disagreed…

Oh, so it's that alternate reality again, where not having a lot of women in your fantasy computer game is the same as hatred for women?

I love that argument.

Why don't you logically explain why there's no possible alternative. I'd love to see your proof that PB hate women.

If you can manage that, I'll consider coming up with an excuse.

"Misogyny is the hatred or dislike of women or girls. Misogyny can be manifested in numerous ways, including sexual discrimination, denigration of women, violence against women, and sexual objectification of women…"

You don't have to hate them. It's enough if you dislike, diminish or fear them.

What? When? Where?
I honestly don't remember that. Either my memory finally died under heavy DLC/p2w pressure or I missed that thread.

Then prove dislike ;)
Hmmm that's a tough one…. but, just from the top of my head…

:mellow:

You don't seem to understand the nature of proof, but I'm not exactly in shock ;)

Please not you two again how many threads are you both going to derail. I will move the discussion to the forums again if I have to. Just like last time.:shakefist:

Lake of women
That definitely would be a nice improvement for Risen games. ;)

And btt: I assume there again isn't any character customization?

I seen someone write a satirical post about the people that say X company is sexist or chauvinistic etc. She asked why anyone felt their opinion was better than an authors creativity. She talked about choice and not buying a product if you don't like it, but not making another company/team accountable to your belief system. There was great lines about lack of one legged deaf war vets protesting lack of representation in HelloKitty Online

It was a good writeup. Wish I could find it. She called BS on a lot of the whiners that just exist to tear down creativity without contribution. All those crabs in a bucket that are just doing nothing for hours will suddenly start to pull down the one crab that wants to get out.

I do find it bit strange that their games worlds lack female NPCs given the attention to details these guys put in crafting a believable game world.

It depends on your point of view. 2 main reasons:
- Gothic takes place in prison. This game formed design base for next RPGs.
- They tried to adhere to medieval times when women had subordinate roles. To make the society more grounded in reality. So it wouldnt make sense to create dozens of bland or silent female NPCs just in order to satisfy some nonsensical "forced equality in fantasy games" idea.

Having said that I do find it bit strange that their games worlds lack female NPCs given the attention to details these guys put in crafting a believable game world.

Er... what are you talking about? Have you actually played any of the Risen series yet?

It depends on your point of view. 2 main reasons:
- Gothic takes place in prison. This game formed design base for next RPGs.
- They tried to adhere to medieval times when women had subordinate roles. To make the society more grounded in reality. So it wouldnt make sense to create dozens of bland or silent female NPCs just in order to satisfy some nonsensical "forced equality in fantasy games" idea.

It makes sense in G1 but not in G2, G3 or R1. Anyway I am not arguing about equality between sexes etc. I don't care about that in fantasy game. For I care they can put some female NPCs as window dressing! I am just simply talking about the ratio between male and female Npcs and thats all (see Morrandir post in page 3)

Back
Top Bottom