Kingdom Come: Deliverance - 5 Reasons to Buy

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
A youtube user by the name of karpathyz has posted a video about Kingdom Come: Deliverance, and gives five reasons why we should give them all our money.

Kingdom Come deliverance gameplay has us excited. Here's our Kingdom Come deliverance preview with all the gameplay straight from Warhorse, after their Kickstarter. It's out on PS4, Xbox One and PC.
More information.

Really does look pretty good. Nice to see it raised over $1 million.

They make an excellent point about locations looking more "real" than Skyrim's diorama-like feel

Looking awesome, is sandbox, exciting combat mechanics, is RPG. InstaBuy!

Look absolutely gorgeous. Most of the time I don't care that much about graphics but this...

Makes me think of Mount&Blade but with extra everything. I would prefer a non-realistic setting, but it's still an instabuy.

It's definitely a new take on the fantasy RPG, and that alone would have me interested.

Now, my personal preference has been a desire to see the fantasy scaled back -- gargantuan swords, ludicrously massive armor, and magic effects so flashy and so common that you just get used to not being able to see your own battlefield, where magic feels like everything BUT magical or special or unique or even interesting, it's been used in the same way in so many games, and where even your bread and butter warrior has so much bling and moves so fast that they can't help but come across as toons, rather than people -- but I don't know that I'd have gone cold turkey. I still like a little bit in the way of escapism/fantasy in my gaming.

[tangent] This would be the perfect sort of game, IMO, to reintroduce the notion that magic is... well... mystical. Unknown. Something to be feared, because its one practitioner happens to be a psycho. And that's something that I think magic as a gaming concept could do with a lot more of. Right now, magic is merely science by another name; no mystery to it at all. But that's just my personal preference.

The scale is what I noticed right off with this video, though. I've been aware of it in every game I've played, but this video highlighted once again just how far out of whack games are when it comes to the size of villages, towns, cities, castles, etc etc., all because they're afraid that players will get bored if they have to walk through a to-scale model of a town. Fears which, I'm afraid, they themselves have fully justified after decades of making game worlds so dense and so convenient that the trade hub of a "realistic" game like -Skyrim- can be crossed in about 12 seconds. The Bioware-style game worlds are so much worse than even that, it makes me cringe to think of a ME3 setting after seeing this video, but those are the environments that we've becomes used to seeing over the last three decades of gaming.

All of those lovely little details which developers like to belittle and dismiss as of no consequence when it comes to "gameplay", or even their much-beloved brand of "storytelling", I see those details in this video. Immersion, in other words, the most effective and most engaging brand of storytelling I can think of, that's what I see here. An engaging story/game/environment doesn't need earth-shattering magic, massive shoulder pads, or a godling/hero protagonist, and I would LOVE to see some game out there prove that.

That's why I'm keeping an eye on this title.

5 reasons?
I had only one.
No dragons respawning every 5 minutes above mages' guild.

This game intrigues me...just wondering how coordinated you need to be to survive in combat. if the combat is too accurate, then I doubt I'd enjoy it for long. I'm not a swordsman (all though I do have a friend who did fencing ;-) Also think they could put in a wee bit of mysticism e.g. hedge witch/crazy old lady - they certainly believed such things existed in those times. There doesn't have to actually be any magic (potions/poisons, smoke & mirrors would be fine). Of course, if they story is truly excellent and the combat mechanics work, then I'd get it anyway. Probably.

Im skeptical that they can achieve all that with their budget. I also wonder if they'll be able to keep that schedule or if we'll be seeing act 3 in 2019 or something.

If they can pull it all off it sounds like a solid game, unfortunately FPV only is a deal breaker for me. I've yet to get through an entire FPV game with melee combat. They say they can pull if off, we'll see but I doubt it.

As far as I recall they also have a private investor that feeds them a lot of money.... taken from the ks page:

- All this time, we’ve been funded by a private investor, to the tune of almost 1.5 million dollars in total. We hope the product you’ve seen reflects that.

- Our investor is strong and capable of funding the complete development of our project. But he does not follow the game industry very closely, and needs proof that publishers and marketers are wrong about our game.

So when you combine that with the 1.1GBP (so about 1.8m USD) they made on KS...+ whatever other paypal or preorders they'll get with the hype about the game. I think they'll be fine on the money side of things.

Galaad is right concerning the funding. The KS campaign's purpose was to convince the investor that there's a market for this game. So from everything I've heard, they'll have a budget of way more than $3.3 million.

Haha, that's what I just read on their own backing site: "Help us to bring our vision to life. Help us to create not the 176th free-to-play mobile RPG MMO Elven village-builder with DIAMONDS™, but a unique, engaging experience we think you’d like to play. " :D

Now, my personal preference has been a desire to see the fantasy scaled back — gargantuan swords, ludicrously massive armor, and magic effects so flashy and so common that you just get used to not being able to see your own battlefield, where magic feels like everything BUT magical or special or unique or even interesting, it's been used in the same way in so many games, and where even your bread and butter warrior has so much bling and moves so fast that they can't help but come across as toons, rather than people — but I don't know that I'd have gone cold turkey. I still like a little bit in the way of escapism/fantasy in my gaming.

[tangent] This would be the perfect sort of game, IMO, to reintroduce the notion that magic is… well… mystical. Unknown. Something to be feared, because its one practitioner happens to be a psycho. And that's something that I think magic as a gaming concept could do with a lot more of. Right now, magic is merely science by another name; no mystery to it at all. But that's just my personal preference.
That's something I'd like to see in a game too. Some setting like Game of Thrones or Middle-Earth where magic exists but indeed is a very special thing.

Concerning the funding, i would think they will probably do an early access like others have done. That will also help funding. So, KS + PP + EA + Billionaire investor = pretty hefty budget (potentialy)

The scale is what I noticed right off with this video, though. I've been aware of it in every game I've played, but this video highlighted once again just how far out of whack games are when it comes to the size of villages, towns, cities, castles, etc etc., all because they're afraid that players will get bored if they have to walk through a to-scale model of a town. Fears which, I'm afraid, they themselves have fully justified after decades of making game worlds so dense and so convenient that the trade hub of a "realistic" game like -Skyrim- can be crossed in about 12 seconds. The Bioware-style game worlds are so much worse than even that, it makes me cringe to think of a ME3 setting after seeing this video, but those are the environments that we've becomes used to seeing over the last three decades of gaming.

Well, that was their intention, see Daniel Vávra's blog post 'A lesson in cartography in Potatoland'.

There was some interesting back and forth between Daniel and Swen Vincke of Larian about this apparently; Swen has one or more posts on the subject on his excellent blog.

From the video they did, probably wisely, limit themselves. What we see is a rather small, but realistic walled castle town, next to the castle. I live in a small city that still has a recognisable historical centre that is somewhat similar, meaning a small fortified city (not on a hill but surrounded by moats) with castle, church, town hall etc.
Small cities like those are probably good examples for urban settlements in RPG's that are sufficiently large to be convincingly 'urban', yet small enough to be easily traversible.

Bigger cities - I think those would need additional gameplay mechanics, perhaps a fast travel system to areas you've already visited.

Back
Top Bottom