Rock, Paper, Shotgun - The 50 Best RPG On PC

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Rock, Paper, Shotgun has a new list of the 50 best RPG's on the PC.
An entirely objective ranking of the 50 best PC RPGs ever released. Covering the entire history of computer role-playing games is a daunting task and attempting to place the best games in such a broad genre in any kind of order is even more daunting. Thankfully, we are equal to all tasks and below, you will find the best fifty PC RPGs of all time.

Creating this list involved a great deal of debate and disagreement, primarily over what we mean by the term RPG. A game in which you play a role. In Doom do we not play the role of a space marine? In Football Manager are we not one with the fictional football manager who represents us in the game’s world?

For our purposes, as with all of our Best Of features, the scope of the genre is considered to be broad rather than narrow. Character development is important, as is a world with interactive qualities other than things to kill. Inventory management of some form is preferred, as is a setting that establishes a solid sense of place in which to play the role you develop and inhabit.

With that said, here are the games. You can click the links below to move through the feature or read through in sequence so that tension and indignation can reach a peak as your favourite game fails to appear (and then is, inevitably, either in the top 5 or ended up being 51st on our master list). There are additional notes below the write-up for each game, informing you where you can buy it (or download it for free in several cases), what else we’ve written about it and where to look next if you’re hankering for something similar.

Couch, thank you for pointing out this article. As I only sometimes pay a visit to RPS web site (my last visit was... what... 30+ days ago ???), this article surely would have eluded me.

I'm still reading it, and I already found out some surprises and unexpected games in the list !

:)

Dark souls Number one?
I can't see the reasoning behind this, even if I love the game. This is a very limited experience compared to a lot of games on this list( please don't anyone start on DS "storytelling") with plenty of flaws( horrible difficulty system for an entirely combat oriented game) that cripple it.
Really surprising no mention of Gothic I/II or Arcanum.

Well, I have never understood what should be so good with Dark Souls ? To me it totally slipped under the radar as one of lots of forgettable Dark Fantasy RPGs ...

It's the best dungeon crawler ever made, of that there is no doubt.
However, it offers very little when it comes to quests, characters, story, dialogue etc…
Atmosphere and Environment design is great, but becomes more and more monotonous the longer you play(almost like Fallout III)…it's like someone shouting "Gloooom!" non stop for more than fifty hours in your ear.
Nothing about combat is really revolutionary, and personally I found movement and animations very stiff and unsatisfying. It's still the best overall hack and slash combat in any rpg, but it's difficulty is simply broken and more designed to test player's patience than anything else. Simple memorization, through trial and error, (Bloodborne took it even further and reminded me of Leon S. Kennedy flying sessions)…is what it boils down to.
And lore, monster and weapon design…well, it comes from Japan, so good luck finding any sense in it.

Last edited:
Dark souls Number one?
For god's sakes…
Thank god you warned me before I clicked on the link. RPS became totally rediculous site.
I'd be less disappointed if they put Diablo or Skyrim at the top.

Ouch. No Gothic or Gothic II? No Might and Magic? Risen is said to be 70 % lousy and Ultima VII only gets number 5? (No Ultima IV!) As much as I love Dark Souls, the list is a bit of a farce. :)

Ah well, these kinds of lists can be entertaining to read now and again, as they sometimes draw attention to interesting games that I've yet to play.

Dark souls Number one?
I can't see the reasoning behind this, even if I love the game. This is a very limited experience compared to a lot of games on this list( please don't anyone start on DS "storytelling") with plenty of flaws( horrible difficulty system for an entirely combat oriented game) that cripple it.
Really surprising no mention of Gothic I/II or Arcanum.

Odd that you'd criticize DS for having plenty of flaws and then list arcanum, which IMO was nothing but flaws. I guess that just how opinions differ.

We could argue all day about how much of an Rpg DS is but there's plenty of games on the list that are questionable as to if they are rpg's. So I have no problem with its inclusion.

As far as it being number one, I don't know. It's tough when you put the Rpg label in the title as it means something different to everyone nowadays. I suppose we could list all the traits of what we fell constitutes an Rpg and show how DS hits some and misses other but if I just look at the list and ask myself which game I enjoyed the most and would most want to play for the first time again.

Then I have no problem with DS taking the top spot.

What's to discuss? It's just a list of author's favourite (what he chooses to call) RPGs. Every one of us could create such a list and it would be as valid as his. Does the fact he posted it on the website adds some special meaning to it?

What's to discuss? It's just a list of author's favourite (what he chooses to call) RPGs. Every one of us could create such a list and it would be as valid as his. Does the fact he posted it on the website adds some special meaning to it?

I don't think anyone is saying that. It's just something to discuss for the sake of discussion. I doubt anyone is regarding it as the end all be all holy grail of lists.

My thoughts:

-Not related to the list's content itself: they used the same JPG pic to illustrate both entries #38 (Wizardy VIII) and #35 (Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of Betrayer) :p

-I prefer Ultima Underworld I to II;

-I would have chosen Fallout 2 over Fallout 1 (which it is a great game nonetheless);

-I wouldn't have chosen Dark Souls as #1. I even tend to think it isn't a proper RPG.

-There's a number of 2014/2015 games on the list. While these may be great games, and I don't doubt that, I personally wouldn't have included them on the list. None of them. To me, only time (and the subsequent safe distance it provides us) will tell if they're worthy to enter those lists. A list of Top 50 RPGs on PC, where you left some great games off (Gothic, for example) and opted to include recently-released games (even one of them it's still in Early Access state) … c'mon !

My 2 cents here! :)

Henrique

Then the list should have been titled:
MY top RPGs.

The proper "the best" list would be the one where the author would take this question into consideration:
Would I suggest buying this game to people of any taste and would anyone after buying it perhaps feel conned?

That's exactly the reason I said I wouldn't mind Diablo or Skyrim as #1.
Not top of my own taste, but enough of content to have some fun with regardless of anyone's taste.
But Dark Souls? Not only I didn't buy it, never will buy it, I wouldn't even dare to suggest it to anyone unless I know for sure they're into grinding.

Next RPS article will probably be top 50 DLC where horse armor will get #1 position. Because the author plain adores it. Who cares if it's a fraud.

MY top RPGs.
Indeed but would such a title be enough of a clickbait?
The proper "the best" list would be the one where the author would take this question into consideration:
Would I suggest buying this game to people of any taste and would anyone after buying it perhaps feel conned?
Indeed again but that would require effort and thought. Come on joxer give man a break! :lol:

Arcanum was full of flaws, but it's roleplaying elements through stats, race, choice of how you handle different quests as well as one of the most interesting main story themes in video games, honestly make it a non questionable game at any top rpgs list. Troika games... plenty of issues, but where it shines, it shines the brightest.

Hey, this article has some nice links for classic games that are now free!

An entirely objective ranking of the 50 best PC RPGs ever released. Covering the entire history of computer role-playing games is a daunting task and attempting to place the best games in such a broad genre in any kind of order is even more daunting. Thankfully, we are equal to all tasks and below, you will find the best fifty PC RPGs of all time.
Uhh, if their tongue isn't in their cheek then they've got an epic canker sore. Also, it's definitely more than one person.

Naturally, I totally disagree with their list. That's pretty much to be expected, though. If I wrote a list right now then looked at it next year, I'm sure I would want to move half the games around.

MY top RPGs.

That's exactly the reason I said I wouldn't mind Diablo or Skyrim as #1.
Not top of my own taste, but enough of content to have some fun with regardless of anyone's taste.
But Dark Souls? Not only I didn't buy it, never will buy it, I wouldn't even dare to suggest it to anyone unless I know for sure they're into grinding.

Next RPS article will probably be top 50 DLC where horse armor will get #1 position. Because the author plain adores it. Who cares if it's a fraud.

Cmon Joxer, you play grinders all the time. DAI and Diablo are both grinders more than dark souls and you have recommended DLC and called it a masterpiece.

I get it you've decided you'll never like dark souls and that's fine but stop blaming it on grinding when you play many games that are more about grinding than dark souls.

You don't need levels to beat dark souls, it can be beat at level 1 ( try that with BG) so no level grinding there, you don't need to kill the same monster over and over again hoping for a certain color of weapon to drop, so no grinding there. You can clear a whole area assuming you don't die or rest at a bonfire and the monsters won't come back, you can easily run by most enemies except bosses and you will never run into hordes and hordes of monsters at once to slog through. If I run in to an enemy that's very difficult I don't need to go grind 50 levels to beat him as you don in many other games. I can learn his patterns and tactics and beat him.

So please hate the game for whatever myriad of reasons you like but it's not anymore of a grinder than many games you've played and raved about on this site.

Arcanum was full of flaws, but it's roleplaying elements through stats, race, choice of how you handle different quests as well as one of the most interesting main story themes in video games, honestly make it a non questionable game at any top rpgs list. Troika games… plenty of issues, but where it shines, it shines the brightest.

It may contain everything you said but the flaws were too much for me to overcome to see all the goodness you imply.

Cmon Joxer, you play grinders all the time. DAI and Diablo are both grinders more than dark souls and you have recommended DLC and called it a masterpiece.
I do play grinders, just not all the time.
Btw, DA:I has main story - without any possibility to grind in those areas. It's the optional filler areas, Hinterlands, that are grind-o-rama.
The point is did I ever say any of them is 10/10 or #1 RPG of all time?
If I did, shoot me right this moment.

And which DLC I called a masterpiece? Mass Effect 3 Citadel? But it *is* a goddamned masterpiece. On some DLC toplist by RPS, I bet it wouldn't even get mentioned. Based on their #1 RPG, their top choice would have been as I suggested. Horse armor.

You don't need…
You can…
Sorry, find me one single player who bought that game and didn't grind in it. In many games you can and don't need to do something. But it doesn't change it's core. "What we call a rose would smell equally with another name."

So please hate the game for whatever myriad of reasons you like but it's not anymore of a grinder than many games you've played and raved about on this site.
Actually all that "you don't need" and "you can", with avoiding mobs… There is another such game, with numerous hard to bring down bosses:
The Last Remnant.
I said, several times, I hate the game and can't recommend it. I did avoid endless mobs and grinding in it as much as I could. And I finished it. So?
Does it mean it's my #1 game? Does it mean it's not a plain grinder?
It doesn't. It's a plain mediocre grinder.
But even though I hated it, I'd put it above this RPS' #1 grinder any day. Not only it had an unique combat mechanics never seen elsewhere, TLR didn't need 3rd party mod to become playable on PC.

In fact I dare you to buy and play TLR and after you finish it, do tell me, compared to Dark Souls, which one kicks arse more.

Last edited:
It's such a random list of games. Like they made a lottery for the positions.
Half of them are not crpgs to begin with. You can see they don't really know what they are doing. mass effect 2, skyrim, sunless sea, recettear, FTL, system shock 2, hand of fate, dark souls? please try harder next time.

And where the hell ToEE, Arcanum, Fallout 2, Gothic 1 & 2, Neverwinter Nights 2 MotB, Might & Magic series, Icewind Dale 1 & 2?
Surely the first Baldur's Gate has a place in there too.

You know what even blackguards is better than some in that list.

RPS RPSing again.

Back
Top Bottom