Path of Exile - Forsaken Masters Announced

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Grinding Gear Games posted news on the games forum with the title, and a new description of the games latest expansion called Forsaken Masters.

Coming on August 20!

Path of Exile: Forsaken Masters will be released at 3pm on August 20 (US Pacific Time). This is midnight in the CEST timezone and 10am on August 21 in New Zealand.

This article is not the full patch notes for Path of Exile: Forsaken Masters. We'll be releasing those patch notes a day or two before the expansion is released. There are dozens of other changes included such as a new Quest Tracker, Tutorials and PvP Spectator Mode.

We're so proud of this expansion and can't wait to share it with you. There are so many interesting mission variations to explore and powerful new possibilities with crafting. Half of our development team is addicted to building custom Hideouts! Over the next three weeks we'll be updating this article with reveals of unannounced Masters and other content. Enjoy!
More information.

Last edited:
Very cool stuff! I'm glad they're adding more stuff to sort of ground the setting. Being able to upgrade the masters and their hideouts sounds really fun since currently the end-game map system is a bit too intense IMO.

I plan to go back to the game and start a new Ranger even though I have a level 90 Duelist. Path of Exile is the greatest loot game ever made and a worthy successor to Diablo II. I'm really glad they keep adding new content at a rate that puts that other game Blizzard makes to shame.

Am I reading this right? This is mostly about new systems? The game has a massive lack of content when it comes to acts and visual variety. This is where they should be focusing, in my opinion.

Not that other new things aren't great - it's just not the thing it needs.

Oh well.

DArtagnan: I don't quite understand how you say PoE has a "massive lack of content". If you compare it to TL2 or D3, as many have done, PoE actually has an equal or larger number of environments. I know there is a sort of minority who keep claiming PoE somehow lacks content, but objectively it doesn't. For instance, look at this World chart. Many, many areas.

So my point is, what other game like PoE has more content? Visually PoE goes from urban, jungle, ruins, swamps, forest, temples, and so on. Item-wise, PoE destroys TL2 or D3 for variety. Character-build-wise PoE also destroys them.

Not trying to be a fanboi, but I honestly do not understand the "lack of content" argument. This is coming from a 300 hour player.

DArtagnan: I don't quite understand how you say PoE has a "massive lack of content". If you compare it to TL2 or D3, as many have done, PoE actually has an equal or larger number of environments. I know there is a sort of minority who keep claiming PoE somehow lacks content, but objectively it doesn't. For instance, look at this World chart. Many, many areas.

So my point is, what other game like PoE has more content? Visually PoE goes from urban, jungle, ruins, swamps, forest, temples, and so on. Item-wise, PoE destroys TL2 or D3 for variety. Character-build-wise PoE also destroys them.

Not trying to be a fanboi, but I honestly do not understand the "lack of content" argument. This is coming from a 300 hour player.

It's not about amount of areas - as it takes nothing and does nothing to recycle everything.

D3 has, almost literally, an infinite amount of areas with the Rift system - which means little.

It's about visual variety - and a variety of distinct environments and assets.

In that way, PoE is a complete joke compared to D3, unfortunately.

Also, D3 utterly obliterates PoE when it comes to active skills and, especially, moment-to-moment combat - where PoE is clumsy and awkward compared to the visceral prowess of combat in D3. Don't even get me started on the sound design and overall production values.

Sound design in D3 is perhaps the best I've ever heard. Keep your ears open in combat with a max level character - and you'll know what I mean :)

PoE is a noble indie effort and the passive skill tree is cool, if ridiculously opaque and bloated. More than half of it are small +10 increments - and it's there to add complexity where none is needed.

D3 legendary items (after the fix) are also much more interesting than any item I've yet seen in PoE.

But, it all comes down to personal preferences.

I prefer PoE when it comes to the economy and the amount of distinct characters you can create using the cool skill-gem system.

But it's rather dull in the long run - and the dreadfully stale color palette and repetitive nature of the content is a problem I couldn't get past.

Last edited:
I agree with DArtagnan. The absurd high level combat is also a turn off. It's no longer an aRPG but PoE becomes a shoot-em-up at high level. Play some Zenon 2 or Battlesquadron music in the background and you'll see what I mean. The latter is the better tune obviously!

D3 has, almost literally, an infinite amount of areas with the Rift system - which means little.
Agreed with you that the Rift system was a great addition. PoE would benefit from a more casual Rift-like system no doubt. So yeah, Reaper of Souls did make huge leaps whereas the PoE mini-expansions obviously haven't been as impressive.

So yeah, PoE is too hardcore for it's own good, in my opinion, since the end-game is very similar to D3 classic (you don't ever get the the best drops).

And yeah, I obviously agree D3 production values blow PoE away, no doubt. So fair enough. I play both like most of us do.

Tis live ;) https://www.pathofexile.com/news

Path of Exile: Forsaken Masters is now Live!
Discover the seven Forsaken Masters and train with them in dozens of unique mission variations. Claim your own personalised hideout and craft powerful weaponry! Join your friends in the new Rampage and Beyond challenge leagues to win exclusive prizes. We look forward to seeing you in Wraeclast!

Back
Top Bottom