ME: Andromeda - Director Moves to H1Z1

Aubrielle

Noveliste
Former Mass Effect: Andromeda director Chris Wynn goes to work on H1Z1 as its executive producer.

Back in December, Former Mass Effect Andromeda Development Director Chris Wynn left Bioware, and the development of the upcoming space RPG, and today we learn about his new creative home.

Wynn announced on Twitter that he moved to Daybreak Games (formerly Sony Online Entertainment) to work on the company’s online zombie survival game H1Z1 as Executive Producer.

Still getting settled into my new office, but am thrilled to announce that I am now the Executive Producer of @H1Z1game at @DaybreakGames

— Chris Wynn (@The1Wynn) January 25, 2016

In discussing the opportunity, it was clear that we had incredible creative alignment on the game and the future of gaming.

Interestingly, Wynn also teased “plenty” to talk about in the coming months, stating that he couldn’t be more excited for the future of the game.

I couldn't be more excited about the future of @H1Z1game! There will be plenty to talk about in the coming months!

It’ll certainly be interesting to hear what Wynn has to say about the upcoming features for Daybreak’s zombie apocalypse, but we’ll have to wait a little while for that. Could it also be released to the teased console version? Time will tell.

More information.

More information.

So he leaves BioWare & Mass Effect: Andromeda to help Daybreak develop H1Z1?o_O

Gotta say to me this is a dumb move. Hope he got a better salary.

Last edited:
Daybreak isn't affiliated to Sony anymore. Also, he might have preferred San Diego to Montréal.

Daybreak isn't affiliated to Sony anymore. Also, he might have preferred San Diego to Montréal.
Yeah I forgot Sony sold the developer last year.:embarrassed:

That certainly seems like a step down, but yes it could be related to geography, family or overall job description/tasks.

Aye very odd since H1Z1 isn't a flagship product for Daybreak...

Interestingly, Wynn also teased “plenty” to talk about in the coming months, stating that he couldn’t be more excited for the future of the game.
I couldn't be more excited about the future of @H1Z1game! There will be plenty to talk about in the coming months!
Wow, this guy knows something about journalism! Accuracy in reporting.

Still seems like a weak move - who'd want to be involved with F2P trash. Must be the San Diego thing even though I'm sure working for any corporate sleaze can have it's crap moments that'd make one want to move on.

Being involved with either Mass Junk or zombies.....sounds like a lose-lose to me. I have more respect for seven eleven employees, although, since he is moving to DBG, he could do a lateral move to either EQ1 or two and get some respect.

So he leaves BioWare & Mass Effect: Andromeda to help Daybreak develop H1Z1?o_O

Gotta say to me this is a dumb move. Hope he got a better salary.

At least in the IT business, people are jumping between jobs a lot more these days. It apparently helps improve the salary situation, if you have talent and skills.

Of course, maybe he left for other reasons. Ya never know.

Also, he might have preferred San Diego to Montréal.

San Diego is a nice town. This would be a huge factor for me. I'd love to live on the beach.

Maybe he didn't have a choice, maybe it was a resign or get fired thing from bioware.

No proof just pure speculation.

It's all speculation it seems. Could be because of salary, better geographical location or anything else. It's a major downgrade to his curriculum though.

At what point do we become concerned with Andromeda? I won't pretend to know how the gaming industry works, but if it's like any other industry and many of your key players leave before a product's release, it means:

1) it's a sinking ship.

or…

2) you want to distance yourself as much as possible.

or…

3) something about the team you're working with pisses you off.

or…

4) it's so damned good you were headhunted by another company who wants you to bring that business model or widget idea with you.

At what point do we become concerned with Andromeda?

An American with a senior managing position (he wasn't a lead) who was working in Canada for over 3 years on a max of 4 year without asking for citizenship in the most french speaking province of the country returned to the USA. That doesn't really look like anything we should be concerned about really.

An American with a senior managing position (he wasn't a lead) who was working in Canada for over 3 years on a max of 4 year without asking for citizenship in the most french speaking province of the country returned to the USA. That doesn't really look like anything we should be concerned about really.

This is just the latest in a stream of personnel attached to the project who have left, tho. I can't think of many positive reasons for that kind of turnover, especially when ME: Andromeda was going to be the start of a new series of games. You'd think they'd want to stick around if it was a positive experience?

We'll probably never know, but I can't help but think something is amiss somewhere at some level.

This is just the latest in a stream of personnel attached to the project who have left, tho. I can't think of many positive reasons for that kind of turnover, especially when ME: Andromeda was going to be the start of a new series of games. You'd think they'd want to stick around if it was a positive experience?

We'll probably never know, but I can't help but think something is amiss somewhere at some level.

Stream of personnel?

Who else left outside of Wynn and maybe Schlerf (neither BioWare or him ever confirmed his departure)?

Started with Casey Hudson, and while Gaider was primarily DA, he did write for ME… Just seems like a bunch of people bailing. Maybe I'm wrong. *shrugs*

Neither of them worked on Mass Effect Andromeda.

Casey Hudson was designing the setting of a new IP when he left to become creative director at Microsoft Studios to work on Hololens. Gaider never wrote anything for the Mass Effect franchise. Both of them worked over 15 years at BioWare though.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom