Facebook co-founder chosen as TIME's person of the year.

Andhaira

Sentinel
So Mark Zuckerberg was chosen as TIME's person of the year. What do you think of that? I personally think they copped out and that it should have been Julian Assange.

Thoughts?

Discuss!!

I think they choose the right person.
trollolo?

Obviously, there's only one person in the whole world who deserves this title and Times is too chickenshit to give it to him. Weren't so cautious several decades ago, when they labeled Hitler and Stalin persons of years 1938 and 1939. And Stalin again, several years later.

piccolo ?

I think they chose a right person - because you can say what you want about him … his influence has grown immense … What would be the current world without face book ?

I still don't like him and I think I never will - but one should also be able to respect the abilities even the greatest foe.

So Mark Zuckerberg was chosen as TIME's person of the year. What do you think of that? I personally think they copped out and that it should have been Julian Assange.

Thoughts?

Discuss!!

piccolo ?

I think they chose a right person - because you can say what you want about him … his influence has grown immense … What would be the current world without face book ?

While you can't deny the impact of facebook, has anything occured this year with it that was significant over the past few years? Him pledging to give away his fortune is nice, but it's a lot smaller than Gates or Buffett's fortunes and a lot longer away too.

I think Assange should have got it. The POY is not supposed to be the best person, it is simply supposed to be the most influential person of that year. (Hence why Osama bin Laden was named it in '01). I think the impact of Assange this year is far greated than Zuckerberg or anyone else.

I'm amazed that anyone would think Facebook was really that influential. MySpace basically did the same thing prior to Facebook. The latter is simply more popular now, mostly due to being more user friendly.

I'd say it is more influential. There have been several social networking sites, but none seem to have the same immersion that facebook does. MySpace came close, but how many people over 35 have/had MySpace accounts? It seems they have really suceeded in making it trans-generational, and additionally they've found ways of keeping people on the site for hours on end, which the other failed.

Plus the sheer ability to get information out to people seems to have transformed with it. I have a lot of firends that no longer email news about their lives, they just update their facebook page and it gets out to everyone. It's practically made email obsolete. MySapce never had that level of use.

Facebook was the worst thing to ever happen to the internet. The founder can kiss my ass for trying to kill internet Privacy.

I'm pretty sure a few of them signed up before 1/1/10.

Of course. However, there is no reason to call Facebook influential when it had less than 10 million members.

Now Facebook is a way of life for several hundred million people. It is influential whether you like it or not.

The question about if Mark Zuckerberg deserved to be the person of the year is not easy to answer, but he certainly has made an impact on this world we live in and this in a very short amount of time.

Myself, I don't care much for the Times magazine, I think it doesn't compare to a few others and the articles are very 'simple-minded'. So...

MySpace simply dropped the ball, more so than Facebook getting the better of it on their own. They allowed it to get bogged down with excessive advertisements, and failed to evolve once FB started making a push.

Regardless, I think it's a poor choice by Time. We're talking about something that was never intended, or expected to explode the way Facebook did. I know some will disagree, but I think a lot of Zuckerberg's success was pure luck. He created something in the right place at the right time, and had no idea it was going to end up being that huge.

Yeah, but I think you can say that about a lot of people. There is an old saying "Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity."

Ohh, and I despise facebook! I wasn't a fan at the beginning, but when I got a nasty message from a friend of mine whom I didn't bother to tell I was coming into town after she says photos another friend posted of me, it earned my hatred.

think about it? over 500 million users? and don't forget it is/was banned in china. So the influence it has on US and Europe is immense!

…I don't think Zuckerberg really "runs" Facebook. Sure, he was the guy that started it off (had the core idea, or pinched it from others - whatever!), but the people who own it/bank-rolled it call the shots - well, this is sually the case. They wheel him out when they want to sell some new privacy changes etc. *squeak*squeak*squeak* Blah blah no violation of your rights! *blah* … *squeak*squeak*squeak*

What caused your change of heart, Tragos? Used to be, we could count on you for some sort of anarchy claptrap and a nice riot if you didn't get your way. Suddenly, you've become a cheerleader for a totalitarian state. I don't doubt the communist dogma makes your heart go pitty-pat, but I don't see how the overwhelming government control squares with your hatred for authority of any type.

Facebook isn't a hot 2010 event which sparked controversy and scandals throughout the world. Wikileaks is a hot 2010 event which sparked controversy and scandals throughout the world. Hence, the prize should have gone to Julian Assange.

It seems sad really that nothing better than FB has made a significate enough change in our lives to gain attention. I wonder if that is because the only other influence we felt this past year is the economic effects of the financial crap. FB has, in comparison, been a diversion. :smartass:

Back
Top Bottom