Conan

I'm a bit worried about Jason Momoa playing the lead. I think he's cool and he looks the part but watching him in Stargate Atlantis where he plays a guy from another planet, his performance is very contemporary, exactly if he was just a guy from 21st century LA. If he does the same with Conan it's going to be awful.

If you still don't get this concept, then I suggest you look up the word verisimilitude. I believe the dude who directed Superman used that to explain the same thing to the people on the film making the same case as you're making.
I understand what you are saying, I think in this specific case I just have a different view on he character of Conan and how plausible everything he does is.
I've read most of the Conan books of Howard and others and I've enjoyed them a lot for what they were trying to do. However I do find Conan regularly to be unrealistic even in the setting of the books, but it doesn't bother me that much either. He is the person that is unbeatable and it is all because of the harsh environment he was brought up in. I wouldn't have been surprised to have read something like he did in the trailer in one of the books actually.

Another incoming massacre... Split between laughters and apathy.

Should not the main incentive to redo something the capacity to deliver a better final product?

What is the use if not?

Bolas magically disappearing. I guess that kid was lucky they did not got entangled.
Poorly staged violence with no other goal than showing wanton violence.

However I do find Conan regularly to be unrealistic even in the setting of the books, but it doesn't bother me that much either. He is the person that is unbeatable and it is all because of the harsh environment he was brought up in.
Then any Cimmerian would be unbeatable. And that is the proper of a hero...

Are they Picts by the way? It would be funny that grown up Conan would prefer to avoid Picts when as a youth, he confronts them heads on.

I understand what you are saying, I think in this specific case I just have a different view on he character of Conan and how plausible everything he does is.
I've read most of the Conan books of Howard and others and I've enjoyed them a lot for what they were trying to do. However I do find Conan regularly to be unrealistic even in the setting of the books, but it doesn't bother me that much either. He is the person that is unbeatable and it is all because of the harsh environment he was brought up in. I wouldn't have been surprised to have read something like he did in the trailer in one of the books actually.

Well, I'm not really after realism - just something to engage me properly. It's been a long time since I read any of the short stories - and I don't think I ever came upon Conan as a child in them, so I can't really say if what's in the trailer is true to Howard.

All I can say for sure, is that it turns me off completely from wanting to watch the movie.

Myrthos explained how I feel about Conan better than I would ever have done!

Conan was never realistic in the books that I have read (I have only read a few). I have never expected "realism" in the books and i am not going expect them in the movie either.

When I read some books, watch some movies or play some games, I do leave my brains behind!

When I read some books, watch some movies or play some games, I do leave my brains behind!

That's not an option for me, unfortunately. Believe me, I've tried....

Reviews are in and apparently its crap.... oh well :lol:

I'm a bit worried about Jason Momoa playing the lead. I think he's cool and he looks the part but watching him in Stargate Atlantis where he plays a guy from another planet, his performance is very contemporary, exactly if he was just a guy from 21st century LA. If he does the same with Conan it's going to be awful.

You should see him in Game of Thrones then :)

Watched the first flick again (with Arnold) a couple nights back. Just a great origins story that really didn't need to be remade, and especially not remade in a halfass way.

Just a trivial side note on the general subject:

I read in an article years ago about the original approach to the Conan movies. After the second movie was decided to be not so good, they had the idea that they should wait a while and let Arnold do another when he was older - basically to show some exploits after he becomes king (like in the original movie, they hint "but that is a story for another time."). Anyway, when he was older, they decided that audiences wouldn't want to see an old Conan so we get this young guy remaking a classic.

I think it's a bit of a shame that they need to start over from the beginning. They could have picked up the story anywhere, really. Although, I think I like this Mamoa guy. He certainly looks feral and barbaric. I'll hold off final judgement on him until I've seen the movie.

I think a much more useful and honest film in a modern context which is also based upon one of Robert E Howard's characters, was Solomon Kane. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0970452/

From the one or two stories I'd read, I felt this film was a solid effort to conjure the essence of the Kane character and at least holds some redemptive value.

On the other hand, this Conan remake reeks of derivative trash of the highest order.
Even the concept of remaking Conan from outset, was just superfluous and unnecessary.

Last edited:
I had planned to, but the 5/10 reviews + the trailer with some rabid dude proclaiming, "I Want your Head!" in a guttural voice completely killed what little interest I had.

Despite all the crap reviews, I am still going to see it! Its out here today in UK so plan to see it over the weekend :)

I saw it and was disappointed. Just forget the older movies/books/comic. They have nothing to do with the new version of Conan.

I just wish Hollywood would actually get an imagination more often. I am so tired of remakes. Although I have not yet seen the newest Planet of the Apes movie, I want to see different stories of a given title, like this, rather than just a remake of it.

Back
Top Bottom