RPGWatch Feature: Inside The Witcher, Part 2

:(.."simpiler personality and RED curly hair" - so it's not Yen.

Anyway let's hope that some romance will apear.

Actually, short red hair. :)

Seems like it's Shani then - I was betting Triss would "try" if Yen is out of the game. But on the other hand - Geralt knows Shani well form Oxenfurt, doesn't he.. ;)

Seems like it's Shani then - I was betting Triss would "try" if Yen is out of the game. But on the other hand - Geralt knows Shani well from Oxenfurt, doesn't he.. ;)

:) Probably, you' re right.

Intresting, how will look like getting memory back by Geralt? Would players get only more knowledge of Geralt life by dialoge ect. or also Geralt would have some flashbacks coused by events (illustratted e.g. by short films)?

Seems like it's Shani then - I was betting Triss would "try" if Yen is out of the game. But on the other hand - Geralt knows Shani well form Oxenfurt, doesn't he.. ;)

Oh Triss tries it allright... I scored her in the second part of prologue with ease...

.. That said, she's a generic prostitute - you know she isn't an important part of the plot, because she doesn't have a name.

Ah, just like Real Life!:p ;)

Some of you guys sure know your Geralt. :) I really hate it that I don't have the whole background to read in English. Hopefully the game will get these novels and stories more attention worldwide.

Oh Triss tries it allright... I scored her in the second part of prologue with ease...

Well, it seems to be a yet another proof that game designers have caught the spirit of some of Sapkowski's characters...

Just wondering who else will be "available" for Geralt in later chapters? Francesca Findabair? :)

Too many of romance interests may make it avanture rather than adventure. However, reading Sapkowski's backgrounds, it seems that even these essences unlikely to be overly adolescent male fantasy.

[Edited]For your reference, I google-wikied Spakowski and found this line: "Geralt has been compared to Raymond Chandler's signature character Philip Marlowe," which erased my concerns on "mature" factors.

Last edited:
Funny thing about the Sensual Mini game, it doesn't seem geared towards teens (male certainly) necessarily.
One of the most popular movie series James Bond aimed (at adult males) has a similar opinion about sex, up until the last couple in the series, including many other movies, books and games like D&D Fantasy art.
Sure teens have interest, yet when many of these started out in the 60s and 70s they were created by adults for a mostly adult audience at the time.

I am not saying it would be a good way to act in RL or PC ;) , yet the warrior and/or hero type (male or female) have always been associated with move action in movies, books and games.
So it doesn't seem a surprise CD Projekt is trying to add a new twist/style to adult games and as everyone has mentioned it's how the devs handle it. :)

Honestly, this is another issue like the Customization, where they could have reached a larger audience by offer equal time to female gamers, which Bioware and Trokia seemed to have done good jobs for the most part. :)
It does sound like book fans would be upset though so maybe it's best to stick with canon, for the first game to get a nice fan base.

It does sound like book fans would be upset though so maybe it's best to stick with canon, for the first game to get a nice fan base.

See, and that's what I was thinking too. Bear with me as I'm totally in the dark concerning Witcher lore, but this red-headed love interest of Geralt's may be a compelling character to be allowed to play in a sequel perhaps? That's the sort of next step I would take if I were CDProjekt.

I personally have never played an RPG with a female character, mostly because I roleplay myself. But if they gave me a decent, fitting story to go along with her, I wouldn't mind playing with a change of scenery at all! ;) My thoughts are that they could release such a game quickly using the same engine, concentrating on a new plot and main protagonist. This would also be a good thing if the current build is stable. It obviously looks fantastic, and we all know what kind of trouble can surface with lengthy development times and re-written software. :rolleyes:
This would ride high on the Witcher wave of popularity (that I am assuming is nearing full strength with the release imminent) and keep the momentum going, while reaching out to the female gamers Acleacius mentioned.

Or perhaps a female mage? This would kill two birds with one stone - satisfying equal rights gamers and wizard wanna-bes all together!

I really wish I could read these books before playing the game now. I'll have to see if that translated one is available in Australia as well as the UK. If Geralt is a really compelling character, then I have no objections to playing as him. I certainly never wished I could customise my own protagonist while playing PS:T.

An addon where you can play as this female Mage character sounds very appealing though. I usually do play females in RPGs, and always play the Mage/Sorc/Wiz class when it's available.

Edit: the rest of this post is utterly, completely, off-topic.

Let's see... I played a male in BG2, because I couldn't stand Annomen; and I found Viconia to be a very interesting character. BG2 was the first time I ever heard of a Drow, and I found her to be a fascinating character. I think it was the first time I'd ever had a 'romance' in a game as well, heh. I played a female in KOTOR, my last NWN2 character was female, although I'll play a male in MOTB, because Safiya seems more interesting to me than Gann. Always played females in VTM:B. Mainly played females in Arcanum, but I completed at least 15 playthoughs with that game (all as a magic user). Female in Jade Empire, romanced the princess.

The really odd thing is that I do tend to role-play as myself insomuch as I make the choices that I'd make irl. It varies somewhat from playthrough to playthrough, though.

I'm not sure what the big deal is on how playing a specific gender makes a character more "me". I like being able to pick a female avatar, but if a male one makes more sense in terms of the story or whatever, it doesn't make me not buy a game, all other things being equal (that is, if it's a game that appeals to me.)

On the Witcher forum I read athread awhile back where some females were griping about the game and calling it sexist--I just don't get it myself. I can't imagine playing Gothic with a female character, for instance.

BUT I do think the idea for a female main character option or a variant wizard customization is a great idea for an expansion. Geralt could then end up on a trading card for some real irony--I would certainly collect that one. ;)

If Geralt is comparable to Marlowe, then, it explains a lot. Of course, Chandler's tone is hardboiled but his style is somehow poetic with some subtle irony. If Spakowski is something near to Chandler, the writing must be demanding for the designers. Oil-painting-like trading cards might not be that bad because I don't think the current technology of 3D graphics is good enough to "express" female bodies, described in Chandler's works.

BUT I do think the idea for a female main character option or a variant wizard customization is a great idea for an expansion. Geralt could then end up on a trading card for some real irony--I would certainly collect that one. ;)

:lol: yet another brilliant idea! The Witcher certainly is bringing out the best of the Watch. :)

Frankly, I think the sex thing seems to be handled pretty well, all things considered. How could they claim a gritty, more true-to-life than your average RPG and then pretend Geralt never gets laid? Kind of a damned if you do, damned if you don't thing. I'm satisfied with their approach, not having seen it first hand, of course. ;) It certinaly doesn't seem Leisure Suit Larry like.

I'd take it that she was just kidding. The male-centric tendency of hardboiled literature naturally leave rooms for parodies. However, I wonder if they could be as good as the original works are. Some interesting ideas from forum members but, at the end of the day, we should be careful not to mix them with the actual presentation of the Witcher.

I could kick myself for I didn't come up with Raymond Chandler by myself while reading all the information but I now find my expectation to the game somehow changed.

[Edited for some mistakes]

Last edited:
"- Geralt why there is none female Witchers?
- Really, Boholt look at me. Do you imagine me as a fine look chick?"

As female gamer my main concern is not if I can play female character. If I get good sytory, I can play character even without gender ;).

I think that in first game taking place in witcher's world playing Geralt is very good idea. Book fans expected that. But world creating by Sapkowski is so rich, that gives many options for sequels - and for another characters.

For those who asked about books in English:
"The last wish" (book with short stories) was translated to English. You can get it on amazon.co.uk

There are seven books about Geralt: two with short stories, and five-book sage.

I enjoyed Kult and that made me play as a female, so I don't think fixed gender should really be a big issue!!

I don't have problem with role-playing as a character of opposite sex, either. ;)
For those who asked about books in English:
"The last wish" (book with short stories) was translated to English. You can get it on amazon.co.uk
Thank you, zima98. I'll order it probably with NWN2: Mask of the Betrayer.

Well, there is ONE little girl in the saga... She is called Ciri... and she kicks butts! She's a witcheress and sorceress in one. Problem is, she has gone missing :) But I surely would love to see her in expansion pack... :D

Guess I am still learning, then. As long as story is good, I'd be happy with any character. She can be a good candidate since she has more skill choices. After all, Geralt may be ending up with a trading card. :biggrin:

BTW, I cannot believe that some people are already talking of the expansion/sequel. ;) I have to agree that the game seems to be promising, though.

Back
Top Bottom