General News - Ken Rolston joins Turbine

Dhruin

SasqWatch
A minor point of interest to footnote Big Huge Games with Ken Rolston joining Turbine to make MMORPGs. From GameBanshee:
TURBINE EXPANDS LEADERSHIP TEAM

Online Entertainment Leader Appoints Key Hires in Design, Technology and Operations

NEEDHAM, MA – October 19, 2012– Turbine announced today several key additions to its leadership team as part of its continued effort to design and deploy the next generation of online gaming.

“We are very excited to add such a stellar group of proven industry veterans to our world-class team here in Boston,” said Alessandro Galvagni, General Manager, Turbine. “Ken, Alan, Jai and Demetrius are proven leaders that strengthen our team and position us well as we work to continue operations of our award-winning titles and bring new innovative experiences to market.”

The new members of the Turbine team include:

Ken Rolston, Director of Design – Ken brings an exceptional track record to Turbine as one of the most accomplished fantasy RPG computer and video game designers of all time, with over a decade of lead designer experience on the award-winning Elder Scrolls franchise and, most recently, he released Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning to critical acclaim. Ken will lead the vision and the implementation of all aspects of game design for Turbine.
More information.

I expect incredibly awkward dev diaries from here on out. Rolston just sorta there making weird faces and appearing to be on a never-ending acid trip of some kind. Turbine got Rolsted

I'll be interested to see if this impacts DDO in anyway.

The guy is at Molyneux levels of bullshit. I can't stand listening to his endless sales pitches, pretending he understands game design on some deeper level.

I guess this means we'll never see another Ken Rolston-designed single-player RPG. That's kind of disappointing, but I guess he's moving on to bigger and better things.

I guess this means we'll never see another Ken Rolston-designed single-player RPG. That's kind of disappointing, but I guess he's moving on to bigger and better things.

Love the sarcasm there. To think you honestly believe MMO or always online games are bigger and better.

Did they hire all these people to work on a Hobbit game or something?

I'm guessing LOTRO is already pretty solidly staffed and planned out for years. They just released Rohan.

Probably got these guys because they have money to spend on their names and they want to develop something "Next Gen."

Even Smed at SOE, the other old time MMO dev has big plans.

These guys are actually making a lot more money since they went Free to Play with micro transactions.

Love the sarcasm there. To think you honestly believe MMO or always online games are bigger and better.

No. I personally don't care much for MMOs, at all, but they are technically bigger games. Warcraft for example is a huge game. I don't think they're better games though, so I should have just said "On to bigger things". :D

I'm gonna miss Ken though. I'm a big fan of his. It's sad to think we'll probably never see another single-player RPG designed by Ken Rolston. I would have loved to see him build on the Kingdoms of Amalur franchise, since there was supposed to be a bunch of those games in the series. We all know what happened there though.

Back
Top Bottom