Legends of Eisenwald - Review @ RPG Codex

Thank you for your kind words and sorry for this stupid bug. It's an oversight on our part since we got so used to the game that testing it as a clean install we didn't even notice that. Check out this review: I posted it yesterday in our socials, that's really flattering: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197971640510/recommended/246760/

I think the game should be played on Normal difficulty to enjoy it the most for new players. I really enjoy a good long epic rpg/tactical rpg. When i finish the game in another 3 weeks or so i will know exactly how detailed it is your game is a big achievement and your hard work should be rewarded with alot of steam sales =]
Any reviewers who played up to chapter 5 would never rate this lower than 80-90.

Quote: IGN wrote: "Legends of Eisenwald is a tactical RPG that gets fast turn-based tactical combat right". Still 73 but he didn't get past chapter 3 unfortunately.

Thats a shame hes supposed to be a professional gaming journalist, he didnt even play 30% of the game but decided to rate the whole game overall a score, pretty messed up. Gamespot would do better to allow their reviewers to take longer to review games.

His stupidity would overall hurt your games sales in the short term, and i dont think he did fair by Aterdux.

Well, at least unlike others he clearly stated how much he played and also, this review should give us a bit of visibility.

There is a weird site that gave our game a score of 30. Those not very smart people rated the story without even disclosing they didn't play it in full. Luckily, they are not on Metacritic and after few of my comments they said they will change their policy and will state how many hours they played. Big sites are smarter about this anyway.

Also, this shows that our idea of having an extra chapter with a different experience like Run Away is not that good. People get stuck there, frustrated and didn't get to the better content. Thinking of doing something about it.

Anyone who is interested in this game is intelligent enough to know that Metacritic mainstream reviewers don't matter, only the intended audience does.

I'm going to play this game in the week-end finally, I'm sure it will be great fun. From what I've seen so far it's obvious it's a labor of love and that the team behind is has great love for the setting on top of being very proud of the medieval folklore of their own country. I want to hug all of them because I find it so admirable.

I had a good surprise the other day, I saw a pop-up on Steam and it said my brother was playing Legends of Eisenwald. Good taste runs in the family.

You are right. However, it's a way of bringing new players and sell more copies. I know this game is not for everyone but people don't want to trust an unknown developer and reviews are one way to get some legitimacy. While the game is indeed a labor of love and uses medieval folklore (of Germany though, not our own country) its future depends now on sales. We made a lot of sacrifices and were aiming for the release to recoup our costs and pay our debts. We are still remaining hopeful, it takes just one or two journalists to play our game to the end and write a good review. However, if that doesn't happen, we would have to rethink and change what we are doing. I am confident that we will figure things out but whether this game will grow or not is still undecided.

Well, at least unlike others he clearly stated how much he played and also, this review should give us a bit of visibility.

There is a weird site that gave our game a score of 30. Those not very smart people rated the story without even disclosing they didn't play it in full. Luckily, they are not on Metacritic and after few of my comments they said they will change their policy and will state how many hours they played. Big sites are smarter about this anyway.

Also, this shows that our idea of having an extra chapter with a different experience like Run Away is not that good. People get stuck there, frustrated and didn't get to the better content. Thinking of doing something about it.

Yes i did have alot fo problem getting past Chapter 3, because the game forces you to do everything in a certain order to proceed and escape, but the solutions were very archiac and hard to figure out for a whole, like pulling the landslide and finding the proper angle to get to swallows nest tower, it took hours of reloading to figure it out, Probably put better markers onto it, i overall liked the whole escape Chapter but it can make some lazy reviewers give up too early on the game and write their reviews.

I would suggest patching in more detailed text to tell players they must do the landslide and or make the trigger for Swallows nest tower bigger when you walk into it. Or another solution is to allow the player to siege the outpost and get past.

Chapter 3 is not so good, unfortunately, you are absolutely right. We are trying to make markers a bit bigger. Also, thinking about an alternative solution.

Chapter 3 is not so good, unfortunately, you are absolutely right. We are trying to make markers a bit bigger. Also, thinking about an alternative solution.

I think the main problem is that i didnt know i MUST trigger the rockslide to block Berthold to get the outpost quest to trigger to go to Swallows Nest. My first play through on Chapter 3 i didnt trigger it and was stuck for a while trying to figure out what i did wrong.

A solution would be to not use the Rockslide as a trigger, but to have the Quest NPC from the outpost to trigger regardless once you reach the outpost.

I like Chapter 3 because the thought of that dirty swine Berthold chasing me down and getting his dirty hands on me just isn't acceptable, i must escape and spit in his face lol

I am not saying chapter 3 is bad but it did cause a few issues for players.

Its tough for game reviewers to solve but not hard for most avid or hardcore rpg gamers. You guys put together a very detailed game, and it will be polished as it gets more patches, Rpg Gamers will recognize your great game soon =]

Yes, the Codex and the Watch are our biggest Steam curators too. The preview from you guys here was really good. But I guess there won't be a review here for a while :)
The one who has the key stated he would be doing the review, so I'm awaiting his article. Don't know when it will arrive, he is not a staff member, but a forum member.

Any plans going to Gamescom again this year?

The one who has the key stated he would be doing the review, so I'm awaiting his article. Don't know when it will arrive, he is not a staff member, but a forum member.

Any plans going to Gamescom again this year?
Good to know! I saw your post there with offering the job but thought no one replied. Glad someone did.

No Gamescom this year I am afraid. I think it makes little sense to bring the game to any show after it is released.

Is it possible to add a 'skip turn' option? I know many people ask for a 'defend' option and I totally understand that only some infantry units have it to improve their defense, makes total sense, but an option to do nothing for units that have no free beneficial actions? Like, archers can always shoot, casters can always meditate to regain mana, etc. But I had a situation yesterday where a melee unit without 'defend', with low health and the closest enemy a few squares away had a spear, so the only available option for the unit was to commit suicide.

Is it possible to add a 'skip turn' option? I know many people ask for a 'defend' option and I totally understand that only some infantry units have it to improve their defense, makes total sense, but an option to do nothing for units that have no free beneficial actions? Like, archers can always shoot, casters can always meditate to regain mana, etc. But I had a situation yesterday where a melee unit without 'defend', with low health and the closest enemy a few squares away had a spear, so the only available option for the unit was to commit suicide.

Adding is possible but we won't do it. If we do then both sides will be just waiting especially if there are spearmen or pikemen in your army. You can fake this waiting with giving a unit a potion. For this reason special abilities are there - you can select them at the expense of spending a turn. Combat is about planning, sometimes a few turns ahead.

Back
Top Bottom