Raven's Cry - Review @ GameSpot

You're doing the same mistake everyone with negativity does.

The game plays around sea fights. Ship fights.
Groundcombat and landexploration is a side content in this game.
If you're not interested into ship fights - that's definelty the reason to avoid the game. Bugged groundcombat AI and lack of Risen 3 exploration model are not. I've noted also above, while there is no reason to explore colonized islands, unexplored islands with natives you should explore.

I can't understand this approach critics (and trolls) do here. They're not talking about what the game has. They're searching for something the game doesn't have and are talking about stuff that doesn't exist at all in the game like this gamespot reviewer.
What's even more odd, the game contains a certain IMO superb "Indiana Jones" quest in a temple. No combat at all. Only puzzle solver. Yea… Did you see any critics mention that one? Of course not. Why would they talk about that. Critics wanted Dark Souls and Assassins Creed clone, Raven's Cry is too different and too much for their brain to swallow.

Sure, if the game did implement better groundcombat and exploration, it'd probably have ended as a masterpiece (not really from my personal perspective as the story is not such material, but as usual, critics ignore the story if they can grind all day long and to them it'd be). But it's not. It's just a good game.

I've posted above. No need to rush, please buy the game when it's on some discount, play it and then you'll tell me why do I like the game so much when it's panned by critics.
Before playing it, all you can answer me is if you really believe this game is worse than Dungeon Keeper on phones (42/100 on metacritic compared to raven's cry's 30/100).

I don't argue with you over the quality of this review. It's clearly what its intention is, in this age of GamerGate. No, I have no doubt about that.

But that doesn't automatically give Raven's Cry immunity status. Don't worry I'm not some troll posting on a new account. I follow news here, just don't usually leave comments.

Part of the problem here is how Reality Pump position or market their product. I'm familiar with their prior products and like TW2 quite a bit. But this time around I think they've just abused fans' good will and pushed it too far. If the land exploration and combat were not ready, don't put them in the final product as a tack-ons and BRAG about it prior to the release. Why don't they have menu/text-based or some streamlined processes for these components of the game, if the game is indeed centralized in maritime warfare and naval combat? I mean I can accept a nice UI with engaging mechanisms based on text any day over the mess of an unfinished overworld.

They have just bitten off more than they can chew. Denying that out of the love of this studio doesn't lend you much credit. Look at the user review on Metacritic, I mean these are a collective of reasonable people, not some "mainstream crap" right?

Now I think indeed some people ARE being bigots. When videos of Assassin's Creed: Unity, Rome II: Total War or some other "triple-A craps" went viral on Youtube, they didn't hesitate picking up a pitchfork to "join the good fight", didn't they?? I lean toward being sympathetic to indies too, and I do encourage some ambition in game design, but being overly generous is never the way to go for future titles of the studios we like to trust.

I'll just re-post what I wrote on another thread.^^

The game is in terrible shape for many reasons.

1. The games first developer Octane Games never completed the game.
2. TopWare Interactive chose Reality Pump to salvage the game.
3. The publisher went bankrupt last year, and funding was cut.
4. Reality Pump did the best they could, but we all see the final result.

The lesson they failed to learn was they should of scrapped the game. Still like other developers they decided to still release it, and recoup some of what they invested.

So bottom line it's actually a miracle Reality Pump even salvaged the game.:)

The lesson they failed to learn was they should of scrapped the game. Still like other developers they decided to still release it, and recoup some of what they invested.

Quite right but I wonder if RP ever heard of risk assessment? Because, it looks to m,e like they recouped much less than they have hoped for AND took a huge hit to their reputation.

Heh, I'm positive that Larian would disagree, because GameSpot is the only mainstream site that bestow the Game of the Year laurel to D:OS. Now I don't know about you, but any site give the GotY to D:OS over DA:I is fine by me =D

I bet you like my gif up there. :)
GOTY =/= one review, site =/= one reviewer, editor = sometimes bad editor.

Good to hear, but I hoped for a longer development time.

I'll just re-post what I wrote on another thread.^^

The game is in terrible shape for many reasons.

1. The games first developer Octane Games never completed the game.
2. TopWare Interactive chose Reality Pump to salvage the game.
3. The publisher went bankrupt last year, and funding was cut.
4. Reality Pump did the best they could, but we all see the final result.

So bottom line it's actually a miracle Reality Pump even salvaged the game.:)

Thanks for shedding some light on this. I think the community absolutely need the truth to renew their faith of the studio.

I bet you like my gif up there. :)
GOTY =/= one review, site =/= one reviewer, editor = sometimes bad editor.

I was all but abandoning this site for years, but in recent years I checked it out and was surprised to see its quality did take a turn. Damn shame that they can't keep up with the standard all the time.

Back
Top Bottom